Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2019, 11:20 AM   #21
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: manifold cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
It would work better if it was made of plain steel or aluminum rather than stainless steel.
Stainless steel is a poor conductor of heat
Just adjust your heat a little higher...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-31-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:59 PM   #22
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
It would work better if it was made of plain steel or aluminum rather than stainless steel.
Stainless steel is a poor conductor of heat

OTOH, steel rusts and aluminum corrodes.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-31-2019, 03:20 PM   #23
noyo55

Back in 64, when I got my 30 Coupe, it had bad piston slap so started adding STP. The stuff is so thick it would not pour well. Some where along the line I stuck the can between the exhaust header and the block to warm it up. Worked great, one day I thought that Imcould put a can of Chili beans on it.I did and it worked well. I did have to poke a hole in it so it would not spray out when opened—-found this out the hard way. I did a lot of traveling with the A back and forth from college and always cooked a can of chili when I was driving—about 6 hours 1 way.
noyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:50 PM   #24
30 Closed Cab PU

[QUOTE=noyo55;1816238]Back in 64, when I got my 30 Coupe, it had bad piston slap so started adding STP. The stuff is so thick it would not pour well. Some where along the line I stuck the can between the exhaust header and the block to warm it up. Worked great, one day I thought that Imcould put a can of Chili beans on it.I did and it worked well. I did have to poke a hole in it so it would not spray out when opened—-found this out the hard way. I did a lot of traveling with the A back and forth from college and always cooked a can of chili when I was driving—about 6 hours 1 way.[/QUOTE

Not a good idea to heat a can without a vent hole. Someone I knew in college put a can of pork and beans in a toaster oven and fell asleep. He woke up to the explosion, toaster oven in pieces, and a new room décor of pork and beans. Needles to say, his roommate was less than pleased.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote