Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
jquinlan

Default Gas cap mystery

I recently bought another Model A Fordor and found something strange about it's gas cap. When we took it for a test drive, it ran rough and he said it probably had older gas so we went to a gas station and added gas. He then started it and I adjusted the gav slightly and the car then ran fine.

After bringing it home, the first time I opened the gas cap I noticed two giant gaskets which I thought were odd. I removed the gaskets and took it for a drive and it ran absolutely terrible. When I got home I examined the gas cap and noticed someone had soldered the hole shut for some strange reason. (Item#1 in the attachment). It should look like picture#2 which is from my 28 truck.

I think they were using those gaskets as a spacer so air could get in and not create a vacuum. Once I removed the gaskets the car was absolutely starved for gas and ran terrible. The fix is obvious, I just need a correct gas cap.

So my question is why oh why would someone solder the hole shut on a gas cap. Seems weird to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gascap.jpg (21.0 KB, 221 views)
Old 10-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
McMimmcs

Default Re: Gas cap mystery

or drill a hole in the old one !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
1955cj5

Maybe, the person that added the gaskets was not the same person who soldered it closed.

Could they have been using it for a radiator cap?

You could use some solder wick and remove most of that solder and maybe re-use the cap....

My ccpu had a cap like your picture #3 when I brought it home.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
jquinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
Maybe, the person that added the gaskets was not the same person who soldered it closed.

Could they have been using it for a radiator cap?

You could use some solder wick and remove most of that solder and maybe re-use the cap....

My ccpu had a cap like your picture #3 when I brought it home.
Cap#3 was in my box of spare parts, not sure what it's to. Yes, maybe someone did it to make it into a radiator cap.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinlan View Post
I recently bought another Model A Fordor and found something strange about it's gas cap. When we took it for a test drive, it ran rough and he said it probably had older gas so we went to a gas station and added gas. He then started it and I adjusted the gav slightly and the car then ran fine.

After bringing it home, the first time I opened the gas cap I noticed two giant gaskets which I thought were odd. I removed the gaskets and took it for a drive and it ran absolutely terrible. When I got home I examined the gas cap and noticed someone had soldered the hole shut for some strange reason. (Item#1 in the attachment). It should look like picture#2 which is from my 28 truck.

I think they were using those gaskets as a spacer so air could get in and not create a vacuum. Once I removed the gaskets the car was absolutely starved for gas and ran terrible. The fix is obvious, I just need a correct gas cap.

So my question is why oh why would someone solder the hole shut on a gas cap. Seems weird to me.

Perhaps some one had a tendency to overfill the tank to the absolute top, and the gas expanded out through the cap vent. Farmer fix instead of proper fill technique?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...Perhaps it lived outside in snow country and a little water was finding its way into the tank and ending up in the carburetor? Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:02 PM   #7
jw hash

the only gas cap you are showing is #2 number 3 looks like one of the cheap reproduction with the vent hole in the middle of the top. if you fill your tank to full with one of them they will leak. the only difference on the 28-29 gas cap is vented and radiator cap is not.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
1955cj5

I just looked at a picture of mine and it is different...no center hole...???

Guess I'll get the Judging Standards out and take a look...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010547.JPG (175.7 KB, 33 views)