Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
phartman

Default 21-stud oil pan capacity

I am running a '36LB without an oil filter. I know that the oil pan is not original and can't vouch for the dipstick. Anybody know if my pan capacity is 4 quarts or 5 quarts? I can't tell. I believe that the pan is off of a 59A block, but wouldn't swear to it.

Thanks for the help.

Oh, it has the great big 2" oil drain plug in the center of the sump, if that helps you identify what I've got.
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
David J

Default Re: 21-stud oil pan capacity

Ford info for 1934 v-8 calls for 5 qts of motor oil . I would assume this is normal on 21 studders . There's folks on this site that can give good info on post 34 oilpans and the oil pump's that work with them . I ain't dat guy but heres a point that is kinda important . The pan/windage tray and oil pump/pickup need to be compatible . Having the oil pickup too close to the bottom makes for shortened engine life . Having it too far up or in the wrong place doesn't make for long engine life either . If your oil pump stuff is compatible with your pan stuff put it back on and put the oil in and check the dipstick . The oil line is your new full line . I just paint an inch or so of the stick starting at the oil line and going up . Your true full mark on the dipstick will be after it's first oil change and run-up . That is also when you should mark your dipstick or paint a mark on it . David J
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
Brendan

i have a 35 21 stud motor in my 36 truck, with no oil filter, when i change the oil, i put in 4.5 qts in it, it will leak out the 1/2 qt and not leak on 4 qts. it seeks it own level

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
phartman

David, so how much shy of the bottom of the pan should the pickup be? I appreciate the Goldilocks approach of "not too close, not to far away", but how close is close and how far away is far away???
Old 05-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
David J

I personally like the pickup 1/4 " off the bottom and the rear main drain pipe 3/8 to 1/2 off the bottom . I would consider less than 1/4 " or over 3/8 "on the pickup to be asking for trouble . There are probably differing opinions on this but this will get the job done . Remember that very high volume oil pumps aren't a good idea with rear seal-less flatheads for obvious reasons . Good Luck David J
Quote:
Originally Posted by phartman View Post
David, so how much shy of the bottom of the pan should the pickup be? I appreciate the Goldilocks approach of "not too close, not to far away", but how close is close and how far away is far away???
Old 05-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
phartman

David, yes, I have the low volume pump. Pressure is around 25-30 psi.

I measured the replacement pan and the outside dimensions are pretty close to the original 36LB pan, so I think I'm ok. Dunno about where that dipstick came from. It registered waaaaaay over the full mark with 4 quarts of oil. I'm going to try it with 5 and see if it keeps it inside. Otherwise I'll cut it back.

Thanks for the help, fellas.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
David J

Smile Re: 21-stud oil pan capacity

Found some " oil reservoir capacity " info from a 1940 Ford Mercury Lincoln service book . LZ 4 qts , Merc-Ford 95 H.P. 4 qts , Ford 85 H.P. 4 qts and 60 H.P. 3.5 qts . Looks like Brendan had your answer and my assumption that all 21 studders called for 5 qts was wrong . 34 calls for 5 qts but the pans on 35-up stuff are WAY different and evidently smaller seems odd !! Any good luck & enjoy . David J
Old 05-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Found some " oil reservoir capacity " info from a 1940 Ford Mercury Lincoln service book . LZ 4 qts , Merc-Ford 95 H.P. 4 qts , Ford 85 H.P. 4 qts and 60 H.P. 3.5 qts . Looks like Brendan had your answer and my assumption that all 21 studders called for 5 qts was wrong . 34 calls for 5 qts but the pans on 35-up stuff are WAY different and evidently smaller seems odd !! Any good luck & enjoy . David J
How come my ford published glove box book specifies oil capacity as 5 Qts 36 book. ken ct ???????????
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Dave D

When I had my pan off for a rebuild I triple checked the oil level and I can tell you that 5 qts is too much for a 21 stud. About 4.3 is at the very top of the dipstick.... and yes I have the correct dipstick/tube combination.
Dave D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
David J

Smile Re: 21-stud oil pan capacity

KenCT - This doesn't make sense to me either but here's the book and info . I have seen conflicting FORD info before . I always use 5 qts and have no noticeable trouble in doing so . The proper dipsticks for 33 and also for 34 show full at 5 qts . This is with 33-34 pans though as I have not owned a 35 or newer EV8 since the early 80's . I'm a bit curious about this now meself David J
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
How come my ford published glove box book specifies oil capacity as 5 Qts 36 book. ken ct ???????????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2514.jpg (45.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2515.jpg (79.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Barry WNY

All my dipstick tubes are the same leingth as far as I know. I just poured a gallon of rotella T in a new LB with a late pump, windage panel cut, dipstick I selected shows just below full. I can check leingth to full mark and subtract the tube leingth, I can compare my stash, should be able to find out that way if some sticks are different. If it's that simple, I don't need 7 spare dipsticks..
Barry WNY is offline   Reply With Quote