Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
nellis003

Default 40 Ford Convt top... pump?

Hi all,

Working on a 40 Ford convertible right now, and I'm trying to figure out how the power top works.

I can see that there are cylinders on the sides of the rear seats that are connected to the top mechanism, and that the tubing runs from those cylinders along the drivetrain tunnel to the valve under the dash. But on the valve, I'm missing the tube that looks like it supplies the "drive" for the cylinders.

I'm guessing it's vaccum-based, since there would be a pump mounted somewhere. So, can anyone tell me where the inlet for the vacuum is located? Or, if I'm completely off base, where do the cylinders get their power?

Thanks,
Nick
nellis003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: 40 Ford Convt top... pump?

Its all vacuum ,there is no pump involved. There should be a vacuum hose from the intake manifold to the switch under the dash. If the cylinders havnt been operated in a while it wouldnt hurt to put some 3 in 1 oil or marvel mystery oil to help lubricate the leathers in the cylinders.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Flathead Fever

My 80-year-old next door neighbor has eleven '40 Fords, some restored and some basket cases. I went over there this afternoon and did a little investigating for you. The vacuum line comes off the under dash switch, goes through a rubber grommet in the firewall right above the left side of the intake manifold and then it connects to a vacuum port on the left rear of the intake. The engine in this convertible is not the original ’40 but a later model 59A. I'm not sure if this is an original '40 intake on a '59A engine? This intake has two vacuum ports on the left side of the intake. The front port goes to the distributor vacuum brake and the rear port goes to the power top. I took a picture of another engine in his garage that has the rear port plugged. I have about ten 1940-1948 flatheads in my garage and not one of them has this rear vacuum port Anybody know what year intakes had these rear ports?

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg convertible 001.jpg (150.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg convertible 009.jpg (436.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg convertible 003.jpg (79.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg convertible 005.jpg (298.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg convertible 008.jpg (473.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg convertible 007.jpg (416.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg convertible 010.jpg (452.2 KB, 23 views)
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
nellis003

Jerry,

Looked under the hood, and right where it's supposed to be is the intake manifold vacuum port, sitting there unused. I'll hook it up and replace the old brittle rubber lines with new ones. Good thinking on the oil in the cylinders, too - judging from the condition of the hoses I seriously doubt they've ever been redone.

Thanks so much for all the information, and especially for the pictures. Outstanding.

Please tell your neighbor that his 40 Convt is gorgeous.

Thanks again,
Nick
nellis003 is offline   Reply With Quote