Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
Eccentric Old Guy

Default zenith 1 on model b engine?

Any problems putting a zenith 1 carb on a model b engine?

What about the new (not rebuilt) zenith carburetors Snyder's sells?.....any problems with that?.....good quality?

Any input you may have on this subject would be appreciated.

odie, the eccentric old guy!
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: zenith 1 on model b engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric Old Guy View Post
Any problems putting a zenith 1 carb on a model b engine?

What about the new (not rebuilt) zenith carburetors Snyder's sells?.....any problems with that?.....good quality?

Any input you may have on this subject would be appreciated.

No real problem when installing an A carburetor on a B engine except for the A carburetor is smaller and so your performance will suffer.

My personal recommendation is purchase a rebuilt carburetor from a reputable rebuilder and avoid the new one if possible. The quality (-from my experience) has been hit or miss on those.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:01 PM   #3
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
No real problem when installing an A carburetor on a B engine except for the A carburetor is smaller and so your performance will suffer.

My personal recommendation is purchase a rebuilt carburetor from a reputable rebuilder and avoid the new one if possible. The quality (-from my experience) has been hit or miss on those.
I have a "rebuilt" Zenith carburetor I bought on eBay, and have not been able to get it to work. It runs excessively rich, and can't seem to make it run, no matter what adjustments are made.

Is the Carburetors and Carbohydrates informational dvd offered by Snyders any good?......should I decide to try and rebuild this one?

I don't think a little less power is too hard to take......in the environment I plan to drive my model a, I doubt I'll ever wish to go over about 45mph, and no real tough inclines to negotiate.

Thank you for your reply.......
Old 05-30-2020, 11:55 PM   #4
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Build the carb yourself,cleanliness and attention to detail along with a decent guide should be more than enough.Both the stock B carb and the stock A carb underfuel their particular engines by about 50%,the actual performance loss between the two is negligible
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

If rebuilding try a set of Renner's Corner flow tested jets. Running rick is common when jets used are not flow tested. I ran into the same thing with a rebuilt carb off ebay - a relatively inexpensive set of Renner's and all is great.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #6
rotorwrench

If the B engine is in a model A then at least the GAV & choke will work as appropriate for the A. Even if it won't develop the full horse power potential of the model B application, it will still be an improved engine.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
,the actual performance loss between the two is negligible
In my case, I felt the increased performance of the B carb.
At the time I switched ( with hogged out intake on both) I had stock head, but a Winfield su1 cam. Standard valves.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #8
Jack Shaft
BANNED

its less than 10%..under 4 hp.The B carburetor is superior to the A zenith due to float layout alone.The slight increase in airflow with the B still doesn't come close to the A engine capability.SU1 cam raises volumetric efficiency and peak torque is higher as well yet its kinda a moot point with a stock head and a B carb..
Old 05-31-2020, 09:28 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I agree , The C head gave the model B nearly a seven horse power increase over the model A engine . The B carb , larger intake ports and improved cam profile added just over three horsepower . The B carb adds less than three horsepower .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:09 PM   #10
Jack Shaft
BANNED

The best thing you can 'harvest' from a B engine for a model A engine is the camshaft,especially if you can fint a late B cam..the engine will build torque to 2900 rpm as opposed to the A cam at 2400..it also has a measured lobe height .030 greater than the A..it builds power faster and longer,yet allows a low idle with no lope.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:46 PM   #11
Ruth

Back to Zeniths, I have an 'Air-balanced' Zenith 1 from Snyder's that runs great with a basically stock engine with 5.5 head.

I also have a rebuilt Zenith 1 that has never run correctly, runs overly rich.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:05 AM   #12
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Back to Zeniths, I have an 'Air-balanced' Zenith 1 from Snyder's that runs great with a basically stock engine with 5.5 head.

I also have a rebuilt Zenith 1 that has never run correctly, runs overly rich.
Can I assume you are running an air filter on that "air-balanced" Zenith? I hadn't planned on getting an air filter, but is there any other reason for having the air-balanced carb, other than for running it with an air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
If rebuilding try a set of Renner's Corner flow tested jets. Running rick is common when jets used are not flow tested. I ran into the same thing with a rebuilt carb off ebay - a relatively inexpensive set of Renner's and all is great.
Thanks for this information 30CCPU......you have been very helpful in my education about Model A's.......I hadn't realized just how much I didn't know!

What is the difference between "air balanced" and "flow tested".......? Are we speaking about the same thing?

Old 06-01-2020, 06:25 AM   #13
JRN1967

odie, see my post about a sluggish B carb from two months ago.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279353
JRN1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:05 AM   #14
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Flow testing refers to testing that the jet size is accurate,a fixed water volume is gravity fed into the jet held in a fixture and timed..the time it takes the proscribed volume to drain yields the jet size.'New' aftermarket jets are not held to the same standards as originals.Original jets cleaned with a tip cleaners can have an altered spray pattern.

To correctly set a zenith float height you must use a sight gauge and shim the float valve,this is one of the main reasons for complaint,especially stalling on braking it also effects how the jets draw.

Ford 'held' all the major discoveries with the A engine for the B..things from a bigger crankshaft,pressure lubrication,mechanical advance distributor and an improved carburetor among them.stalling on braking was cured by turning the float 90 degrees,mounting it port and starboard stopped the float from being affected by braking.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:39 AM   #15
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric Old Guy View Post
Can I assume you are running an air filter on that "air-balanced" Zenith? I hadn't planned on getting an air filter, but is there any other reason for having the air-balanced carb, other than for running it with an air filter?

Yes, a E-9257 K&N. When I decided to buy a new carb I also decided to buy an air-balanced one so I could run a filter. I did not have a filter on the rebuilt Zenith that ran rich, even with Renner's jets.