Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #21
deuce_roadster

Default Re: scams

The Paypal money put into your account is a PENDING transaction like on your credit card when you go the the restaurant until they OK it. After the the car is loaded up and title signed off and gone, they tell Paypal the vehicle wasn't as advertised and to cancel the transaction and the money is pulled back. To me when there is an "agent" that will come look at the car and the buyer is somewhere else it is a a BIG RED FLAG.
I just sold a brand X (65 Chevelle convertible) rust free car on CL but insisted buyer look at the car in person to understand how good it was. Buyer and his brother drove all night 1200 miles to come see the car and paid in CASH. They got a 1 way U-Haul trailer and went home happy. I told many CL people who I believed to be scammers to not bother.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:03 PM   #22
Kustom Komet

They usually ask me if I'll take a personal or cashier's check. I say, "Sure thing. Send all fraudulent checks to Detective Jim Rafferty, C/O Mesa Police department, 130 N Robson, Mesa, AZ 85201. For some reason, I never hear back from them.
Kustom Komet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:15 AM   #23
pooch

I don't think this is so much of a scam as a VIRUS.

You copy/pasted the content of YOUR email into here.

The link now only says www.paypal.com to all of us.

But if YOU clicked on this in your email, I would suggest it may have infected your computer.

One should NEVER click on an email link from suspect origin.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #24
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
I don't think this is so much of a scam as a VIRUS.

You copy/pasted the content of YOUR email into here.

The link now only says www.paypal.com to all of us.

But if YOU clicked on this in your email, I would suggest it may have infected your computer.

One should NEVER click on an email link from suspect origin.
The other possibility and the most likely is that the link takes you to a false paypal site . I bet one of the things you have to do when you set up your "paypal account" is give them your credit card and/or bank account details details . Bingo they're on shopping spree on your dime -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:49 AM   #25
3twinridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
The Paypal money put into your account is a PENDING transaction like on your credit card when you go the the restaurant until they OK it. After the the car is loaded up and title signed off and gone, they tell Paypal the vehicle wasn't as advertised and to cancel the transaction and the money is pulled back. To me when there is an "agent" that will come look at the car and the buyer is somewhere else it is a a BIG RED FLAG.
I just sold a brand X (65 Chevelle convertible) rust free car on CL but insisted buyer look at the car in person to understand how good it was. Buyer and his brother drove all night 1200 miles to come see the car and paid in CASH. They got a 1 way U-Haul trailer and went home happy. I told many CL people who I believed to be scammers to not bother.
Thank you for that explanation and caution.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #26
chap52

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Just the phrasing of the message tells me it's a scam. It's from some one that english is not their native language.
My opinion also. I had a guy wanting to buy my truck and have his friend come and check it out. However he was also going to give me a check for the shipping driver. (Most shipping companies need nothing upfront). I told him to let me know when he was coming and we could take my title over to my wife's office which is at the Police department a few blocks from my home to get it all notarized. I never heard from him again, huh!
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote