Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
terry

Default buzzer for signal flasher

A previous post mentioned a buzzer that could be attached to a turn signal flasher.. I'm confused as to where to attach the buzzer. My signal has three posts...X,L,andP.
What do these letters stand for and which ones would have the buzzer leads attached to them? Terry
terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: buzzer for signal flasher

Mine is attached to "X" (power in) and "L" (signal switch). I think the "P" terminal is for a pilot light on the switch.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
36Bill

Mac's has the flasher with the buzzer together as one. Just plug it in.

Bill
Old 07-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
Drbrown

If you decide to use a buzzer that is separate from the flasher unit, Radio Shack outlets typically stock a variety of small inexpensive 6 and 12 vdc buzzers that emit different levels of loudness. Be aware that it has been said that some buzzers do not last very long. Most I've seen are made in China.

Some complain about loudness but that depends what db (decibel) unit you buy AND where you install it. I choose a 75 db buzzer and installed it in the trunk under the shelf under the rear window .... which resulted in a good sound level. Your other option to control loudness is to cover the small speaker (only) with foam or tape or a combination of those.

The buzzers have plus and minus wire leads and you simple reverse the wires if it doesn't work at the first try.

Be careful not to wire the buzzer into the flasher wires that are part of the brake light circuit .... first-time-out I did and my buzzer sounded every time I put the brakes on.

The buzzers are inexpensive so I ultimately decided to buy a second one and install them separately into the two wires that go to the front directional lights. This will lengthen the lives of the buzzers and avoids the brake light circuit.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
terry

Went the cheaper route and got the buzzer from Radio Shack. Attached the leads to X and L and it works! The darn thing can get annoying if the turn signal is on for awhile,
but maybe that's good 'cause I make sure to cancel the signal quickly after making the turn. Thanks for the help fellas.
terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:43 AM   #6
Mart

I bought a couple and will be fitting them on my 33 over the next few days. I should have got them for my roadster too - I'm always leaving the indicators on.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
oliverguy

I orginally bought one for my CJ2A jeep. There is so much noise that I was always leaving the signal on. I liked (or disliked) it so much I put one on my model A as well. A good safety feature for cars without self cancelling signals.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Chris Nelson

I bought one from Ron Francis Wireworks and it was loud. It just takes the place of the original flasher unit and plugs right in. I wrapped duct tape around it till it reached the level that I could hear and not forget it was on.
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote