Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
terry

Default I want more light

Are there led bulbs for dome and instrument panel on a '36? I see such bulbs advertised for taillights and turn signals. The old style bulbs
gave a candle power rating, but now days, only the amperage is mentioned.
How do I convert amperage to candle power? Also, the new bulb can't be
much bigger than the originals. Thanks for any help offered. Terry
terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
blucar

Default Re: I want more light

If you have a brightness problem with the original style of interior/instrument lights, it could be that you have a voltage problem.. You may have poor grounding, body to chassis, chassis to engine, or your wiring could be to small.
If you still have a 6v system you have to make sure you have 6v size wire, not the smaller 12v type... Many people do not know that 6v systems have higher resistance than 12v systems..
Electricity is like water, i.e. small pipe small water, big pipe, big water.. This is one of basic principles of electrical current that was impressed upon us when I was in a U.S Army electronic school...
Old 12-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
19Fordy

I bought tiny cool white LED bulbs and bases from this site:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/empty-bases-sockets/ and was able to make my own LED dome light replacement bulbs by using the base of my original bulb, a soldering gun, 60/40 solder and some JB Weld. I later bought bulb bases from that site to make it easier. I don't know if they sell the very tiny bulb bases needed for your instrument light, but you could carefully break the bulb and reuse your original base. Or, you could buy the very tiny LED bulbs and modify the plastic LED bulb base so that it fits into the existing hole of your instrument cluster. More "lumens" equals more light and they do not get hot as they are "cool." The plastic domelight lense does not get hot. You can compare the heat difference easily just by touching the bulbs with your finger or using an infra red temp gun. Huge difference in heat. Perhaps you could do the same. My system is 12V except I am using a CVR ( constant voltage reducer) to supply 6V to the fuel, temp and oil pressure gauges and 12V to the isolated BATT gauge by using a resistor to only that gauge.
CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2245b.jpg (34.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2247b.jpg (37.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2249b.jpg (32.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2252b.jpg (24.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04645 (Medium).JPG (35.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-09-2013 at 11:47 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Old Henry

One other way I brightened my gauge lights was to remove the gauges and repaint the inside with bright gloss white paint where the light is diffused around the gauge to light it. Guages are noticeably brighter than before with the aged yellowed background.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Old Henry

For the instrument lights you'll need the smaller BA9 6V base here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/ba9s-ba7s/

If you're still 6 volts you're limited to these two here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/b...BA9S-6V,21,238:

My experience with LEDs is that they are very directional and do not radiate light evenly around them as an incadescent bulb does. So, if you want to try them, be sure to get ones that have multiple LEDs on all sides. If you're still 6 volt that gives you one choice: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-bulb-4-led/6/ Even that one has all LEDs pointed one direction, not all around the bulb. Probably will still work better than the original dim bulbs. They provide a photo of gauges lit by this bulb:

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-09-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
flatheadfan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Terry-

I feel your pain! I have a '35 and a '36 and trying to read the dash gauges with original 6 cp bulbs was easier for me 60 years ago but now my eyes need all the help they can get. To make life simpler I swapped out the original bulbs for #209 (15 cp). They fit the bulb holder like original with no modifications. They do get hotter so you need to be careful with them and surrounding materials.

The second thing I did was to replace the plastic dash cover lenses on the sides of the gauges. Over time they lost their transparency and became light limiting. As a replacement I used some overhead projector plastic sheeting. This stuff is available from any stationary store in a variety of colors. A buck will buy you a lifetime supply.

Between the two improvements I can now easily read my dash gauges. Obviously, it is not as bright as a new car's dash lights but a good improvement over Henry's originals.

Hope this helps.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
TagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
For the instrument lights you'll need the smaller BA9 6V base here:

Excellent ! Thanks for the link.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
19Fordy

Old Henry,
Thanks for posting that info. It sure will save me lots of tedious work next time I need instrument cluster bulbs.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
terry

Lots of good ideas. 1940, some fine work you did. Henry, good links. I
wondered if that instrument panel had 4 of those led bulbs behind it to get that good effect. Tom, maybe I'll try that 209 bulb first and see what happens. Thanks fellas.
terry is online now   Reply With Quote