Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
30aadoodlebug

Default Calling all Shoebox Experts!!!

So finally after four months of a fizzled out restoration, I am able to start the restoration of my 1950 country squire again.

Here is a bit of the story about the car thus far. My uncle bought it ten years ago and began to hot rod it. When he bought the car it was a running driving flat head. Now, it has a 350 chevy and tranny in there, and the front end was rebuilt and powder coated. That being said, the guy doing the restoration for my uncle stole and sold a ton of the original parts, including the original engine and transmission with over drive (and the station wagon gas tank). We reconnected a year ago and he realized how much I love early Fords and gave me the car.

Which leads me to where I am now. I have the whole front end off the car. I have removed the interior and doors, as well as all but one body mount to remove the unibody. I have built a jig out of 2x10 rafters, and am using that to pull the body off with a five ton chain fall. I have a rebuilt flathead for the car that I found on craigslist for $1600, as well as a block that I began building up myself, but this came along and I couldn't pass it up. Im putting new insert bearings in, as well as a high pressure oil pump to boot. My hope is I will have a running chassis by March.

This is the first shoebox I have ever restored, and I would appreciate any advice that any of you may have. I have done body off restorations of Model A's, but this is my first late flathead (I did a 41 fordor with my father when I was 12.)

Thanks for your input in advance,

Jon
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
philipswanson

Default Re: Calling all Shoebox Experts!!!

Country Squires didn't appear until the 1951 model. Is yours an early 50 or a late 50? Many differences.

Last edited by philipswanson; 12-31-2018 at 05:12 PM.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
30aadoodlebug

December 50
Old 12-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
30aadoodlebug

I have an ad from the dealership in 1950 that calls it the new Country Squire
Old 12-31-2018, 04:20 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I would be sure you have both blocks tested before investing any money in parts. Who built the craigslist engine? Do you have any paper work with it? It would be worth pressure testing if I was doing it.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
30aadoodlebug

Yes, I have a money back guarantee from the man I bought it from. A man named Rick Goddard from Atlanta built the engine. It was meant for a truck, and I am in the process of bringing it back to car specks. Everything I have pulled off the engine is brand new thus far: oil filter, air filter, h20 pumps, fan. I think someone took a car engine and did a truck build on it. it has the commercial setup and look, but no identification tag on it
Old 12-31-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30aadoodlebug View Post
I have an ad from the dealership in 1950 that calls it the new Country Squire
Advertising for the 51 Country Squire started in Sept. 1950. The 50 model was never called or badged "Country Squire".
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
Jack E/NJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Country_Squire

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
leon bee

I don't know about Country Squires, but I've been knee deep in a 50 Coupe for about a year now and I thought I'd mention who I've gotten parts from, (other than ebay). There seems to be many great vendors, the main couple I've dealt with are Mac Van Pelt and Shoebox Central. They are both absolutely first rate.

Of course they're not the only ones, others are mentioned here every day. And you can get a lot of stuff thru NAPA. Rock Auto has also been good for me.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
Frank Miller

If you've been following the oil pressure thread you'll find a stock oil pump to be more than adequate. Overdrive transmissions are around. I'm not ready to part with my spare but I have enough manuals on them and just put mine together for the umpteenth time. Trying to fix a leak and replace rear bushing. Everything checked out ok and I have put close to 50 k on it.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
30aadoodlebug

Thanks for all of the input thus far guys! I came across this pasage in the EV8FC 1949-50-51 Restorers Guide:

[...] "(T)he new station wagon that was introduced in June 1950 had a fold down second seat, an all metal tailgate that would lie flat, and metal exterior door and quarter panels with simulated mahogany grain and 'hardboard' panels in the interior. It was designated as the 'Country Squire', the first use of the name to be associated with Ford Station Wagons for many years to come. In spite of the fact that these late 1950 station wagons were officially named Country Squires, the script on the door did not appear until 1951" (1-6).