Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
LizardsA

Default 'AR' Multiple disc clutch

A customer of mine has sent me an 'AR' transmission together with the 'AR' flywheel, the 'AR' clutch housing, and the 'AR' flywheel housing. The problem is that he wants to attach this to a 1930 engine. I have been told by some that this is not advised.

If we wanted to change the 'AR' transmission and flywheel for a 1930 transmission and flywheel, can anyone please tell me if the 'AR' flywheel housing and 'AR' clutch housing need to change as well?

Mike
Johannesburg, South Africa
LizardsA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
johnbuckley

Default Re: 'AR' Multiple disc clutch

Just done mine .... The AR multidisc has specific flywheel and specific bellhousing,
The flywheel cover is the same . The AR transmission has a nut on the end of the input shaft for themultidic clutch... the single disc transmissiion has a normal input shaft which fits into the disc. Suggest purchase of a) single disc clutch housing (aka bell housing) b) singledisc flywheel. And of course c) ususal stuff like clutch, cover plate etc . Also The pedal arm that fits to the bell housing is smaller on the AR (usually? or always ?) so new/replacement pedals may be required too. Is it RHD? ( in which case the pedal shaft from the bell housing is diffferent again!- 1"). At the back of the transmission check what the U/J cover fitting is like ... some had holes equally spaced others had them unequally spaced. I have ben told it's possible to machine the AR flywheel to accept a V8 clutch without all the other malarkey.. some one may be able to add to that...it's outside my knowledge...
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
GRutter

Default Re: 'AR' Multiple disc clutch

Unless there is a compelling reason to want to use the AR clutch, he may be missing a great opportunity to transition to the single disc clutch and flywheel. Good parts are getting ever harder to find for the AR. I'm not aware of anyone remanufacturing the disc, but it may still be possible to get them relined. The teeth on the driven discs get worn and rattle, along with wear on the inside teeth of the flywheel. The later 28-31 design is much more serviceable.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote