Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #41
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: The Restorer needs to fact check its articles!!!

I have contacted editors and talked to upper level officers in years past.

I brought it up here because it still keeps happening. I felt some comments needed to be made on this board about this particular article.The information was just so wrong that something needed to be said before less experienced A owners were taking it as true.

I really think they need to print a correction about this in the next issue.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #42
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
I have contacted editors and talked to upper level officers in years past.

I brought it up here because it still keeps happening. I felt some comments needed to be made on this board about this particular article.The information was just so wrong that something needed to be said before less experienced A owners were taking it as true.

I really think they need to print a correction about this in the next issue.
Then Kevin, step up to the plate and voice your opinion to the MAFCA office, the Board of Directors and ask them to do so...I for one would like to hear what they have to say about it.

You might would like to show us the letter you address to them so we can all be informed of the action and if possible, their responce.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #43
Richard in Anaheim CA

To the best of my knowledge, nobody gets paid for writing articles. Sorry Lawrie. :-) There are very few people alive today that were around when our cars were on every highway and byway in the country and farther. There were things done to our Model As that would appall us but they ran and are most probably in our garages.

We can all remember bad information accepted as gospel. How many times have you given advice only to find the inquirer has been talking to 6 or 8 different people and getting 6 or 8 different answers? "What kind of oil should I use" Must I tear down my engine to install hardened valve seats? Is my engine going to self destruct if I use unleaded gas without adding something? Are my cam lobes going to wear to a nub without adding zinc or something else? How many carburetors were drilled and tapped wrong without knowing it is a metric thread ? There even a couple of goofs in Les Andrew's book.

How many are actually experts on this subject? Apparently many as seen on this post.. Why haven't you written that article?

There is a need for a true expert on the subject to correct the misinformation.

The editor needs to print a disclaimer that a substantial amount of incorrect information was printed in the original article " prematurely".

My take on the subject. I couldn't write a definitive article on the subject. Lets give them a break. They volunteered, produced the article. It wasn't reviewed by you guys prior to printing.

Lets move on.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:32 PM   #44
Jeff/Illinois

It's hard to come up with new material on the Model A, seems like in 60 plus years of The Restorer and Model A News just about everything has been covered at one time or another. Except maybe which way a slotted screw on the dash panel should be oriented and most don't really care about that too much anyway it is too trivial.

Plus, the really knowledgeable guys are either dead or have been run off by rudeness never to appear again.

SO what or who is left, but dummies like me
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:53 PM   #45
redmodelt

I read the story today in the Restorer and what I got was there are 4 price levels of points, the lowest cost you can buy today has bronze contact point the upper two are tungsten and platinum. If there was something about the original points being bronze I must have missed it.

The main point of the story is how to install a rocker pin to be used to set the point gap on the modern Nu-Rex points plate. The modern Nu-Rex plate does not have a provision to allow simple adjustment like most other point plates using a screw driver to move the point open or closed.

Maybe ether people have not read the story because they are not members of the club or missed the real point of it.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #46
RandyinUtah

I have used both type of points in all m
y model a cars. If the so called modern points were such junk as Kevin states why was auto industry selling many million cars over 30 years with this type points.
Brake down on the road and try and purchase original type points. It won't happen.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:28 AM   #47
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
It's hard to come up with new material on the Model A, seems like in 60 plus years of The Restorer and Model A News just about everything has been covered at one time or another. Except maybe which way a slotted screw on the dash panel should be oriented and most don't really care about that too much anyway it is too trivial.

Plus, the really knowledgeable guys are either dead or have been run off by rudeness never to appear again.

SO what or who is left, but dummies like me
"Run off by rudeness.." More true than most realize. Also, the comments about remaining expertise is true. If you know something is not explained properly, correct it here, but with some respect..
Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #48
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinUtah View Post
I have used both type of points in all m
y model a cars. If the so called modern points were such junk as Kevin states why was auto industry selling many million cars over 30 years with this type points.
Brake down on the road and try and purchase original type points. It won't happen.
Please read and think before you write!!!!

I have not said the modern points are junk. The are not needed and the new plate is not as accurately made like the factory plate. It is a solution to a non existent problem and is probably a good profit point for the people who sell them. Just like the alternators.

I did state modern condensers are not as good as you might hope. That is a different story. The points, designed in the 1950's, work great. I mean really what are points but a frame to hold 2 pieces of tungsten and a wear block. A very very simple and reliable design. They only suffer from low cost units that use low quality wear blocks and tungsten. It is likely the new design were simpler to install on the line reducing labor costs. They were not changed because they were more reliable, they were changed because Ford could make more money with them.

Now I was very clear the reproduction plate is not as good as the original. You do know the plate uses the center hole as the bearing and this hole must be tight on the dist? Ford ground the hole to size. The repro is just stamped steel and will be loose to begin with and then wear some till it is flat making it looser.

I am sorry, but the break down on the road comment is just not realistic.

How many cars have ever broken down on the road where the points needed to be changed? I have never had the problem and I have a lot of miles on the road with point based cars. Condensers, coils yes, points NO.

Points are small if you are that paranoid carry a spare used set. Heck I have a jar of em, you could carry 10 points and not even notice.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #49
Corley

Wait, you may have missed the point of these tech articles. You may never reach 100% accuracy in everyone's mind, but bringing up different ideas a talking points is really what it is all about.

I don't think modern points or original points is the best way to go FOR ME. However, I enjoyed the thoughts and ideas presented in the article, and found it generally educational. Personally, I did not find a ton of errors in the article, as some of you assert. Some of you complained about his specifieing the bronze material. Well, I know that some really soft materials that look like brass or bronze are used as points in some hit n miss engine magnitos I've worked on, so this would not surprise me, but that doesn't matter, the point was that there are different quality of materials available. Some comp!aimed about making any modification to a model A, because apparently Henry got it all as good as it could be the first time. Maybe you need to consider all the other changes you have made to your As. Or better yet, maybe you just need to get rid of all your newer cars and drive only model As, since a totally stock A is as good as it gets. While I don't contend this modification is for everyone, if you are going to make it, the author has raised so salient points for you to consider.

Some of you made fun of the author suggesting to zip tie your bumper if you have the crappy cast bumper clamps. I bet that the club member whose bumper fell off and got run over and ruined on our tour would have loved to have those zip ties. Had he read that article prior to running over his bumper, her could have perhaps saved several hundred dollars of grief and countless embarasment, as we don't let him forget The incident. The point of that article being; You may not be aware, but there are some junk bumper clamps out there guys, and here is at least SOMETHING you can do until you replace them with better quality forged clamps.

Some have suggested that this article was written for profit alone. How wrong you are. Not only is there no pay for submitting articles, there is no reward, especially when this sort of abuse is piled on the author. I know this author personally, and he is a very knowledgeable person, with much higher qualifications in the automotive and machine fields than most of us could think of. He is also a man of honor, who has contributed so very much of his time and knowledge to this endevour. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for piling on as you have. Sure, one or two minor points of one of two of his articles may not line up with you opinions, and the very occational fact may be disputed, but to treat a fellow model Aer like this is shameful.

Please try to be curtious and thoughtful of others before attacking in this manner. And if you feel the magazine articles are nothing but crap, why do you read them, you obviously know it all anyway, and have your mind made up without them. Give a guy a break!!!
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #50
J Franklin

Ditto!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #51
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Wait, you may have missed the point of these tech articles.

Please try to be curtious and thoughtful of others before attacking in this manner. And if you feel the magazine articles are nothing but crap, why do you read them, you obviously know it all anyway, and have your mind made up without them. Give a guy a break!!!
Hi Corley, I respectfully feel like YOU are the one that is missed the point. I think more to the point is that both of the car clubs have built the majority of their membership base by offering a Magazine that is/was considered to be fact-filled publication that promoted the restoration and preservation of the Model-A. Much like a sermon preached from the pulpit of a church, the magazine too is expected to be held to the utmost standard of truthfulness. When facts are deviated from during a sermon, the entire congregation suffers as it sends the wrong message. The same applies here.

As for giving this gentleman a break, I agree however he has published quite a bit of misinformation over time yet when I look at the entire tone of this thread, it appears the Club and its' Publisher is the one that is being questioned. Maybe this circumstance is what it takes to address future protocol when instances like this surface in the future.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #52
Ryan
Administrator

I'll let this one go a little longer, but a couple of reminders:

1. If you can't express your opinion without bagging on someone else's, please express your opinion some place else.

2. At some point, you gotta realize we are all in this together.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #53
Bill Cal.

I live in a remote part of Northern Cal. with the closest club being about 100 miles away so I depend on the publications of both national clubs as well as this site to keep connected with the Model A world. I've had and use my 29 couple for over 50 years and keep it stock and as simple as possible, unrestored. I really appreciate and read all that is written by the volunteer authors and want to say thanks for all who share their knowledge, experience, photographs and great stories, Bill
Bill Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #54
Tacoma Bob

Thank You Ryan. For me, Nuff said.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:59 PM   #55
redmodelt

I want to make a correction, he did say that the original points were bronze but then he also was talking about the spring so maybe there was just a little confusion in what he meant.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:06 PM   #56
Kevin in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
I want to make a correction, he did say that the original points were bronze but then he also was talking about the spring so maybe there was just a little confusion in what he meant.
This comes back to some of my original points.

The editors job is to make sure the article is correct. If the editor is not familiar he should pass it on to technically proficient people to comment on the material.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:22 PM   #57
Greg Jones

Meanwhile, on Page 18 of the Restorer there is an excellent article entitled "Hot or Not: Radiator Servicing-Tanking or Rodding" by Keith Collins. Very informative with pictures of what blocked radiator tubes look like and what to do about it.

(Oh, and I run original points FWIW)
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #58
40 Deluxe

Wow! Correcting misinformation seems to be a touchy subject, with room for improvement on both sides of what seems to a fence, a division for some reason. I feel that (while maintaining civility, respect, and manners) incorrect information, misquotes, wrong data, etc. needs to pointed out, and the correct information provided. Preferably with reliable sources being provided as needed. Personal opinion and preferences abound when it comes to Model A maintenance and repair, and sharing these is beneficial. We pick and choose what we like, but if and when someone puts out the wrong info and we know better, it's time to speak up! The voice of experience should carry a lot of weight. Conjecture, rumor and urban myth on the other hand, not so much!
If the evidence proves us wrong on something, why not just say "I stand corrected"?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #59
mhsprecher

"The editors job is to make sure the article is correct. If the editor is not familiar he should pass it on to technically proficient people to comment on the material."

This is particularly true with technical articles. I have found that with a number of the club publications, editing is not always the best. Even the paid publications have challenges with this. As someone who does a lot of editing in my job, it is time consuming and you don't always catch all the mistakes. The more eyes, the better, but those eyes may not see all that well or are unavailable!

If it hasn't been suggested already, maybe one of the commenters could write an article as a follow-up to that article. There is no guarantee that it will get published, of course, but that is one way to address the matter. No need to trash the author of the article -
just provide another viewpoint on the topic.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:45 PM   #60
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Wow! Correcting misinformation seems to be a touchy subject, with room for improvement on both sides of what seems to a fence, a division for some reason. I feel that (while maintaining civility, respect, and manners) incorrect information, misquotes, wrong data, etc. needs to pointed out, and the correct information provided. Preferably with reliable sources being provided as needed. Personal opinion and preferences abound when it comes to Model A maintenance and repair, and sharing these is beneficial. We pick and choose what we like, but if and when someone puts out the wrong info and we know better, it's time to speak up! The voice of experience should carry a lot of weight. Conjecture, rumor and urban myth on the other hand, not so much!
If the evidence proves us wrong on something, why not just say "I stand corrected"?
You got that right. Whenever a correction comes up here on the barn there are those that will defend the incorrect information and for some reason attack the person that is just trying to help us all understand what is correct and what is not? People entering the old car hobby now and more so in the future will have little if any experience with point ignitions and the other systems that were once commonplace.

When reading a thread like this one must ask themselves, is what is being said correct? Sure it is great that the author stepped up and wrote something to be published and it equally important that the information is correct. Let's not shoot the messenger.