Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #21
Dutie

Default Re: Signal Lights !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcochiolo View Post
Here are a couple of recent photos. I have the first generation LogoLights and am very pleased with them.
The third light was made with a right side unit on a homemade bracket. I've thought of installing one of those blinky modulators but have not gone any further.
6 volt alternator, leds and halogen headlights. Russ
Thanks Russ for the input, those V8 wheels look pretty good .... Dutie
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #22
russcochiolo

Dutie, The roadster was restored and modified by previous owners. It has '35 mechanical brakes as well as the '35 16" wheels with 6.50 tires. The yellow is from an unknown spray can. My commitment to the previous owner was to keep the car pretty much as I got it. My efforts have been mainly upkeep. russ
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #23
28Ca8149

My turn signal control Has a little rubber wheel that will shut of the lights when you turn the steering wheel .
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #24
31a

I have 2 sets of logo lights and will add more have had no issues Bob
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:28 AM   #25
aermotor

Has anyone found a way to incorporate the Brakeliter turn signal function with the Logolites?

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #26
Bruce Adams

I have the LED pack that replaces my original tail light and brake light. Its every bit as bright as the LED pack on my modern Mustang. Mine is all red to reduce confusion by fellow drivers and they are coupled with a Third Brake Light, also red.
Photo is with left turn signal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mod A Tail Light.jpg (120.9 KB, 23 views)
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #27
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
When on tour, I just wish people that have installed after market turn-signals, would remember to turn them off when completing the turn. They don't seem to turn off automatically and it becomes a guessing game; are they turning or not?

They don't turn off on their own, and it's pretty hard to hear the flasher over the noise of a Model A! I've been guilty of driving for awhile with my turn signal blinking. Sorry!
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:46 PM   #28
Dutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
They don't turn off on their own, and it's pretty hard to hear the flasher over the noise of a Model A! I've been guilty of driving for awhile with my turn signal blinking. Sorry!

X 2 JBill , I have done it often. I have since fixed the auto click off, you see my wife now comes along most of the time and reminds me quite often, also its her car. Dutie
Old 08-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #29
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Mr. Dutie,

As far as just one opinion on Model A Life Safety concerns, FWIW:

1. On my 1930 Briggs Town Sedan, in addition to LOGO signal lights, like many others, (similar to more modern cars), I also have the third (3rd) horizontal rear window brake light that comes on when brakes are applied, e.g., that many younger drivers are used to observing today.

2. Then even though it may be legal or may be illegal, tucked inside a custom formed horizontal 3" x 3" x 3" galvanized sheet metal channel, (painted black), securely attached under my rear metal trunk, which sits on top of my rear bumpers:

A. I have several LED small motorcycle type red running LED lights that come on with my tail lights; and,

B. Also, when I press my brake pedal, (day or night, with lights on or off), some of these motorcycle type small red LED lights are wired to flash on and off at any adjusted flashing speed desired. Noticed often that flashing lights usually puts any driver in the alert mode more than lights that do not blink.

3. After being most severely rear ended twice at night, a few years ago, by two of our local drugged, modern day inner city type thug drivers, with both having NO driver's license, NO license plates, NO mandatory vehicle inspection stickers, NO legal auto titles, NO auto insurance, both attempted Hit & Run, and both had NO jobs & both were totally broke while driving formerly abandoned junked cars .... I figured being rear ended by a high speed driver in a 1930 Briggs wood bodied Model A Town Sedan, while having family rear seat passengers, could cause either passenger hospitalization and/or funeral services.

4. If these rear running lights or rear blinking lights are illegal, I'll gladly pay any fine many times to prevent being severely rear ended with hurt passengers again; however, never been stopped or rear ended in 10 years.

5. In the end, different Model A owners/drivers will always have different thoughts on providing different type Model A lights and signals for night driving safety ..... and some safety thoughts and opinions will naturally be based on "actual" past experiences.

Hope this helps anyone considering Life Safety features for lives of family members in an 85+ year old vehicle not designed for high speed collisions.

As far as flashing lights being illegal or not it depends on your state. I know CA laws clearly prohibit or restrict them. Being that your flashing lights only turn on when you brake I doubt police would take any action as they're not constantly flashing.

I like the idea of a constant flashing light at the rear of my car...let's look at that scenario.

I've looked at the laws in my state (AR) and if I'm correct there seems to be an interesting loophole which I intend to use. AR regulates the use of blue, red, amber and purple (funeral possession colour) flashing lights but I cannot find the law says other colours are banned or restricted. So I believe these battery powered flashing green lights on the back of my car would be legal in AR:

These lights have a magnetic base and are very bright and eye-catching. They can also be used in case of roadside emergency.

Look what some punk did to poor Olivier in France driving his T with his woman and kids:

"Hello to all.

I post this message today to express my great sadness, My Ford model T 1924 was completely destroyed in an accident late Sunday afternoon.

We retrions with my wife Pascale and my son Hugo 9 years of a rally organized by the old car club in my town, when a long straight a car violently crashed into the back of my Ford.

We were mounted and I drove to the first speed remaining well to the right of the road. The sun was in front of us and dazzled. All vehicles had slowed down at this point.

Despite the sun was dazzling, the young driver did not slow down and hit the back of the Ford. It was traveling at 110 km / h and the Ford was traveling at 15 km / h. The shock was terrible, Ford executed a U-turn at the front, we were ejected all three on the edge of the road, Ford and fell and still make a U-turn on its side.

My wife had Easter ankle trapped under the Ford and Hugo had both legs tucked under the body of the Ford. For me, I was ejected 8M further into the ditch.

We were very lucky because my wife only a fracture to the ankle. Hugo has only 2 big bruises on his legs, and I'm a simple back pain (What I had done in lifting the car to get my son).

Pascale is still in the hospital but it certainly leaves Friday or Saturday. Rehabilitation to regain the use of his ankle will be very long but it is relative because we could certainly die all three in a violent accident."

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1348369924

Having a flashing light at the rear of your car makes it MUCH less likely you'll be rear ended and possibly killed or disabled...or worse...your woman and kids/grand-kids are killed or disabled and you survive.

Even someone texting on their phone is likely to notice a bright flashing light.

There is a website where you can checkout the laws of your state regarding flashing lights.

Last edited by M2M; 08-13-2018 at 06:18 PM.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #30
Dutie

Hello M2M, I am with you on more light in your face. Brake, tail, directionals, third brake by Breaklighter that flashes as well as 2 custom made small RED LED light with 3 small LEDs in each light and fitted the pair to my roadster top with one on each side as running lights in rear and a pair of amber LEDs on the front top on each side. I will check with my state for FLASH color. Glad them folks turned out ok. thanks again.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #31
russcochiolo

Dutie, could you post a photo of the running lights that you made with the 3 LEDs? They sound interesting. Thanks, Russ.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #32
28Ca8149

My signal control has both the self canceling and a small light to remind you that they are still on .
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #33
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post

[CENTER][I][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=2]"Hello to all.

I post this message today to express my great sadness, My Ford model T 1924 was completely destroyed in an accident late Sunday afternoon.

.........we were ejected all three on the edge of the road,..........

My wife had Easter ankle trapped under the Ford and Hugo had both legs tucked under the body of the Ford. For me, I was ejected 8M further into the ditch.

We were very lucky because my wife only a fracture to the ankle. Hugo has only 2 big bruises on his legs, and I'm a simple back pain (What I had done in lifting the car to get my son).
I wonder what their injuries would have been had they been belted in........in that overturned car?. I also find it interesting that they were reportedly rear ended going 15KPH by a car doing 110KPH and very little damage to the rear of the Model T. Hmmmmmm.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #34
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I wonder what their injuries would have been had they been belted in........in that overturned car?. I also find it interesting that they were reportedly rear ended going 15KPH by a car doing 110KPH and very little damage to the rear of the Model T. Hmmmmmm.
The T probably sits high enough that the modern car went underneath the T and flipped it over.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #35
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post

No Hmmmm needed. The photos clearly show what happened and in fact there's a huge amount of damage there. Ts have a huge ground clearance. The low to the ground hood of the small euro car that hit them (the front of which would also have nose dived under heavy braking) went under the T hitting the rear cross member, chassis and spring throwing the T skywards.

There are no 100% guarantees in life. I think in 80-90% of accidents wearing a seat belt in an A would lessen the chance of death or serious injury.

Last edited by M2M; 08-14-2018 at 12:15 PM.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #36
Dutie

Hello Russ, Here you go, specifically made for 6 volt application. They have their own resistor built right in, just ground and touch the positive, lots of places for 3mm wire. Mine are attached to my roadster top frame and the front ambers are attached to the chrome stantions. Here are some pics and and a little info. Hope they make it. Dutie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1592.jpg (42.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1591.jpg (44.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1593.jpg (53.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1584.jpg (49.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1585.jpg (46.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1594.jpg (49.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #37
russcochiolo

Thanks Dutie, I'm thinkin'. Russ
Old 08-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #38
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
[B]went under the T hitting the rear cross member, chassis and spring
Yes, that is the damage I'm talking about. seems pretty minor for a 90 KPH collision.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote