Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
31open-cab

Default non-folding open cab / roadster pickup top irons

Hello again to everyone!
I have non-folding top irons for an open cab model a pickup. My question is: What measurements or features would indicate whether they are for a 28/29 or a 30/31 pickup? I don't have access to a good original cab to test fit them to, plus some of the rivets are loose, so a test fit might not help me that much anyway. I'm just trying to determine which top irons I have. As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks very much for taking the time to read this.
Sincerely,
31open-cab
31open-cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: non-folding open cab / roadster pickup top irons

Does your top bow assembly have the clamps in place for the windshield stanchions? If so, measure the distance from center to center of the stanchion holes and I can figure out which it is.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
31open-cab

Mr. Tahtaras,
The clamps are present and measure 45 5/8" center to center. Thanks very much for your response! By the way that blue roadster of yours is breathtaking! I have had to reference the photos on your web site many times in our restoration projects. Thanks for all your help!
Sincerely
Braxton C.
aka 31open-cab
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

It looks like you have '30-31 76-B top bows. The windshield on a 76-A is about 2" narrower.

As a side note, look at the front bow on this 76-A I made a top for. Looking closely you can see that the front bow has a slight upward arch. This is the only one I've noticed on a 76-A. However every archive photo I've seen of a 76-B included this same arch. Does your front bow arch upward similarly?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
31open-cab

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Mr.Tahtaras,
Thanks very much for the info! My front bow is perfectly flat across the top but that is ,of course, with no top material on it if that makes any difference? The front bow does however have a subtle lateral arch that "points" toward the front of the truck in the middle. The highest (center bow) that is above the rear door jam area has an upward arch on these irons. How drastic/subtle should that arch be? The restored trucks I've seen like the one you picture seem to have a very flat center bow with very little, if any arch. That was the strangest part of these irons that I have noticed. I was also wondering if it seemed unusual for the windshield stanchions to stand straight up instead of leaning back slightly? (I noticed this in an old picture of our 76-B with these irons before disassembly) With these top irons mounted should the stanchions rest on the "stops" in the lower cup area as they lean back slightly? I was questioning the top irons at first because they fit somewhat awkwardly on our 1931 open cab thinking they might have been from a 28/29; with this information I have just discovered the fitment issue is because of modified top iron mounting tabs on my truck's quarter panels. So thanks to you, I know the top irons are correct for the truck ! Now all I need to do is correct the top iron mounting tabs. Once again, THANKS VERY MUCH!
Sincerely,
Braxton C.