Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #21
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Model A 350/350 Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
when the small block came out in 1955 there was no engine like them. They were smaller than the rest of the V8,s and faster than most and would rev higher than the rest. They were the best engine at that time. If you do not like them that is fine run what you like.
I do not know much about motors, so am asking. Generally small Blocks rev higher and make their power at higher revs, big blocks rev lower and make torque/power at lower revs?

Thanks
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #22
Corley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves46 View Post
For cars slated for delivery to Florida they seem to. I know it's the owner's call to install whatever they want but never could understand why most in my area do not desire to keep a Ford in a Ford? In fairness maybe the 289s or 302s are more expensive and not as easy to install as an SBC.
What is so great about keeping a Ford in a Ford? It's just a bunch of metal parts, and absolutely nothing sacred about it. That mentality is just an irrational state of mind. An engine is an engine, and guys install what they know, or what fits in easily, or what comes cheapest. That is often an SBC.

Sure, brand loyalty is a real thing and a factor, but purely for myself, it is a dumb thing if there is something else that makes more sense. I've always had a soft spot for '53-'54 Studebaker's, because I had one back then. (I like the lines of that model.) But no way would I stick a Studie engine in an A when an SBC is cheaper, more available, with lots of after market parts, it's cheaper, lighter, smaller, so fits in an A frame much easier, and has been done a thousand times already, so lot's of info available. It just makes sense.

At least, that is what I think, and I'm sticking to it. In today's world, most all cars are about the same... Same look, same quality, same function, same same... Now that is something to be sad about, but it is fact... If I can't read the label on it, I can't even tell you what brand it is, and we used to know every brand, model, and the specs back in the day. But it's OK, cause kids today don't even want to get a driver's license until they need it to get to work.

What the hell happened? And you are worried about "a Ford in a Ford"???
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:24 AM   #23
George Miller

Well I was raised in Flint Mich, much of the family worked for GM. My Dad and two of my uncles owned a Block making and gravel business, I worked for them in the summer while in high school. I hauled fill sand and mason sand to the chev V8 engine plant when it was being built. So yes I,m a small block guy. But I also restored 25 stock Model A,s over the years. It is your car do as you please at least they are not setting there rusting away.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #24
Cool Hand Lurker

".....an SBC is cheaper, more available, with lots of after market parts, it's cheaper, lighter, smaller, so fits in an A frame much easier, and has been done a thousand times already, so lot's of info available. It just makes sense."

YUP. Except for the last sentence. Modernizing the Model A is purely a desire and emotion thing. Being like the other guys is what it is all about. It really doesn't make sense to spend a huge amount of money just to be like other guys. You have an Old Ford coupe or tudor body sitting on top of a LOT of money. The Model A body is ancient and non-aerodynamic at higher speed. You can't take advantage of the high power that V8 motor gives. Once street-rodded it is as expensive to fix or repair as a modern car. And true, the car is worth much more at resale but it almost always costs you more than you can get out of it. To me that does not make sense.
I have a nice, driveable Model A with an inserted motor that will cruise all day at 55mph. It will go faster but then the wind noise from the flat windshield gets too loud for me. And you can't change that either. A larger engine would be a waste for me.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #25
todd3131

To each his own it makes my original a worth that much more if it wasn't for the fact that the guys that want it original are in the cross hairs of the virus.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #26
Cool Hand Lurker

I guess I don't agree that it makes my Model A worth more. The markets for antique vs modified are very different. From what I see, the market for a Model A tops out at about $15,000. You can find a nice one for that. There are sales above that range but not many. Most of us just want to drive a Model A and be part of the community and that is the group that will keep the Model A alive.

Unfortunately, our group is getting older and fewer. Those that pass on usually have more than one Model A if they have any. Those go on the market. More cars, fewer buyers who are willing to bid what the modified crowd will bid. That is the only time when the Model A will be worth more than what we would pay.

That's my story.... if I can remember it the next time I am asked... pushing 82...
Old 03-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #27
Purdy Swoft

I prefer that my model A's be kept mostly original . If I was building a hot rod or street rod , I would always prefer a small block chevy engine to the small block Ford . I became a certified General Motors technition in 1969 and have always been a Chevrolet guy .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 03-21-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #28
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Zora Duntov designed a great engine,the chevrolet V8 is iconic,anyone who made a living with a wrench in their hand has worked on one.My buddy put it best,he said you could buy a big mac and a set of headers at McDonalds..walk along the shoulder of 99 from Bakersfield to Modesto and build a few with the parts you find..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #29
David R.

To me it is like trying to retrofit a diesel into a steam locomotive. The history is gone. No longer has any fascination for me. Preserving something operational in original condition from the past. Or resurrection of one doomed to scrap heap, which is where I am at present. I have the AA stripped down to frame now. My wife said it sort of looked like a truck when you got it, now it just looks like a pile of junk... but someday....
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #30
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. View Post
To me it is like trying to retrofit a diesel into a steam locomotive. The history is gone. No longer has any fascination for me. Preserving something operational in original condition from the past. Or resurrection of one doomed to scrap heap, which is where I am at present. I have the AA stripped down to frame now. My wife said it sort of looked like a truck when you got it, now it just looks like a pile of junk... but someday....

Interesting analogy......the Durango Silverton narrow gauge locomotives are being converted from coal to oil burners. This is being done as a result of a huge fire causing millions of dollars in damages in 2018.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #31
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Interesting analogy......the Durango Silverton narrow gauge locomotives are being converted from coal to oil burners. This is being done as a result of a huge fire causing millions of dollars in damages in 2018.

That conversion sounds wise but sad. I think if there is a diesel whine instead of a choo-choo with smoke the joy will be gone.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #32
David R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
We did the opposite here in WV.
Cass Scenic Railroad operates a fleet of geared logging locomotives over an original logging company grade on Cheat Mountain. A couple of the locomotives were from west coast and were oil burners when acquired. They operated them that way a couple seasons and the crews didn’t like them so they converted them to coal. In dry weather a speeder follows the train on fire watch. Most of the locomotives operate with spark arrestor stacks too.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #33
dumb person

I hate it.
I find it funny that if i pull up next to a bunch of them, more people seem interested in looking at my flathead 4. Haha.
Only people that don't like it are the 'puffy jackets that squeaks' crowd.

And although the multi-quote thing is failing me, i hate it more when people pull a car apart & never finish what they started.
And do fabrication disasters in the process.

As for trains, there's a difference between oil fired steam and diesel engined trains. One still looks & sounds, as is steam.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote