Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
Kevin in NJ

Default Pumpkin Run in NJ, What a nightmare....

So I got a late start off to the Pumpkin Run close to 10am. I am only about 10 minutes away from the place.

I expected some back up, over an hour later I get to mister golf cart in the road in front of the christian school.
Show cars and parking for Flemmings is full, you can park at the school and walk over. The school parking was pretty close to capacity.

We turned around and went home cause that many people just would not be pretty in that area.

On the way home the line on Zion Rd was about a mile longer. There was no way there was enough parking for all the cars heading that direction.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Pumpkin Run in NJ, What a nightmare....

obviously you missed a good show. Next time go much earlier and it won't be a nightmare. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
Terry, NJ

Kevin, Same story here! We came down the GSP from Manchester.From the time I reached Zion rd, till when I got out of van in the Christian School parking area was two hours. I stuck it out, why? I dunno! My wife's cousin's BF had his race car there. He and Jim Leida were the only people I knew there. Jim was the guy who had the very nice 30 deluxe coupe and the only one with any significant Mod A stuff. Maybe I hadn't known about it in other years, but there were a few Baddd looking Hydroplanes there this year. What's next? Drone races?
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
So I got a late start off to the Pumpkin Run close to 10am. I am only about 10 minutes away from the place.

I expected some back up, over an hour later I get to mister golf cart in the road in front of the christian school.
Show cars and parking for Flemmings is full, you can park at the school and walk over. The school parking was pretty close to capacity.

We turned around and went home cause that many people just would not be pretty in that area.

On the way home the line on Zion Rd was about a mile longer. There was no way there was enough parking for all the cars heading that direction.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #4
Synchro909

Pumpkin run???? WTF is that? Sounds like it is popular over there but I've never heard of it.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
tbirdtbird
BANNED

is there such a a thing as an Aussie-American translator guide....
Old 11-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
Goldhardt

Don't feel bad Synchro909, I've never heard of it either!
Goldhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:45 PM   #7
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Pumpkin run???? WTF is that? Sounds like it is popular over there but I've never heard of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldhardt View Post
Don't feel bad Synchro909, I've never heard of it either!
---
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pumpkin run.jpg (71.4 KB, 99 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:30 PM   #8
Kevin in NJ

For those who do not know.....

The car show is on the land of a larger junk yard. While most of the junk cars are gone, Mr. Flemming allows people to use the land.

Not all the junk is gone. There are some 30's through 70's cars about the property for decoration. As well as other interesting stuff. Harry also has transient junk so sometimes there are other interesting things there.

Lets see if the link to Google maps works.

Flemmings Junk Yard

Imagine that whole area covered in cars. I went there many times with my father and brother as a young kid. They even had junk yard dogs you clearly did not want to mess with at all.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:36 AM   #9
Synchro909

Randy, I don't see anybody driving a pumpkin!!!!
Old 11-06-2016, 05:38 AM   #10
Bruce of MN

We arrived at 7:15 or so and there was no line then!
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #11
ronn

is there such a a thing as an Aussie-American translator guide....

"she's a bit of alright..............."

translation- that is one hot babe!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Similar to your kiwi carnival. Wayne
Old 11-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #13
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:

So maybe next time. Call ahead and tell them you will be late and ask them to save you a parking spot and some good buys! Bottom line the fault is totally yours and you have nothing to complain about. Wayne
Old 11-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
Terry, NJ

Pumpkin Run, is about 100 + acres (Guesstimate) in it's entirety of old, recycled junkyard which the owner (Harry Fleming) has turned into a once yearly show. From rat rods to trailer queens to motorcycles to trucks and race cars and the aforementioned Hydroplanes and a pretty big swap meet. Not to mention the old stuff Harry's left in the woods. And it's all in the south Jersey Pines, a few miles west of Atlantic City. All on roads built to accommodate much less traffic.
Terry

Quote:
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
We arrived at 7:15 or so and there was no line then!
Obviously you used common sense. You could be a mentor for some of the others. Wayne
Old 11-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #16
aonemarine

Got there about 9:00 and it took nearly an hour to go the last .5 miles into the grounds. It was still worth it.
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #17
Chuck Sea/Tac

[QUOTE=Kevin in NJ;1380870]So I got a late start off to the Pumpkin Run close to 10am.

I think that's the problem. Popular events fill up fast. 10 years ago I and the wife drove over the cascades to Yakima, for a swap meet. I pulled in right at eight as it opened. A fellow club member was walking out , arms full of model A stuff. He looked at me, and said" Nordstrom, you gonna have to get up earlier then that!"
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

[QUOTE=Chuck Sea/Tac;1381198]
Quote:
So I got a late start off to the Pumpkin Run close to 10am.

I think that's the problem. Popular events fill up fast. 10 years ago I and the wife drove over the cascades to Yakima, for a swap meet. I pulled in right at eight as it opened. A fellow club member was walking out , arms full of model A stuff. He looked at me, and said" Nordstrom, you gonna have to get up earlier then that!"
No knowledgable car person arrives late. I always am happy to hear that I am too early but come on in anyways ! I bought two cars headed to Hershey that were a mile away from the gate in a lineup. Wayne