Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2018, 06:42 AM   #1
Paul Bennett

Default Spotlight electrically wired into what best place?

My spotlight isn't connected. I'm sure it was wired when I got the car but it isn't hooked up right now and I can't find where it was. Since it's an accessory, it's not included in the wiring diagram of the shop manual.

I worry. Logic says connect it to the accessory terminal of the ignition switch to prevent running the battery down should someone inadvertently turn it on during daylight hours. But I don't like loading up the ignition switch. Logic also suggests connecting it to the headlight switch circuit as headlights are rarely left on. But it might be needed with the headlights off. Then perhaps just connect it thru a fuse to the battery and not worry.

Never having a car with a spotlight I'm unaware of the pros and cons. But it's there so it just as well be connected. I can't find the lamp # or wattage, anyone know? My legend has worn off the bulb.

Obviously there is no perfect place so where is your's connected, or where would you connect one should you have one?
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Spotlight electrically wired into what best place?

Fused, directly to the battery circuit, to a relay controlled by the ignition switch.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 10-12-2018 at 08:14 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
big job

Most I have ever seen, Police Fire Ambulance's are wired directly to a fuse block, which
most likely you don't have. The spotlight doesn't draw that much, maybe draws as much as your heater. What car what year I don't know but if a 1948 and back don't go to the
ignition switch they only do gauges and coil current. 1949 and up the ignition can handle
it, but the spotlight use is only intermittent. example my truck spotlight wired to the fuse
block I turn it backward for a backup light or I shine it on the windshield for melting snow and ice snow plowing (a hired town truck)
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
corvette8n

My single fog light draws 4 amps, your spotlight should be around that, mount an indicator light somewhere so you won't forget it's on. I was lucky enough to have an old jeweled light in my stash. I think Drake sells them or just google jeweled indicator light. I would mount a fused terminal block under the dash for any future accessories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.3 KB, 4 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
34PKUP

I would prefer a switched relay rather than depending on an indicator light that may be burned out.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
rotorwrench

I assume you have the Unity S6H type if it's an OEM accessory. If I remember correctly, they had their own in line fuse holder. If it didn't, I would put one on it just the same. It could be connected to the lighting circuit breaker on the input side if it has it's own fuse. They generally have a GE4535 sealed beam bulb that is 30 watt so they shouldn't cause too much power drain. The 6006 headlamps are 50 watt apiece so the spot light doesn't drain near as much power off as they do but it has some power to it.

The circuit breaker panel on the mid century Mercs is hard to get to so you can go direct to the battery if you want to run it through the firewall.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
Paul Bennett

I am moving the inaccessible breaker panel to a bracket above the column making its flasher & courtesy fuses available. And I am adding a 12v relay activated by the ignition switch accessory as there are several fused circuits such as fan, gauges, OD, radio and spotlight all which I prefer to switch off with the key.

FWIW the fan measures 6 and 10 amps @ 6v and the 12v prefocused spotlight bulb nr is GE1327.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote