Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2018, 02:34 AM   #1
Paul Bennett

Default Is your inner door handle floppy? a suggested fix

Both my rear inside door handles have a firm like new feel, obviously because the rear doors get little use. Fronts however are another story.

Problem - While the front inside handles operate the latch, they did not firmly return to their rest position but were 'floppy' from years of use ... driver's side especially.

Investigation finds no Ford spring in the design to cause the door handle to return. I initially thought an internal spring had gone weak or broke. But I found no spring to cause the door handle to return. Some day perhaps I'll have some reason to remove the rear door upholstery to find out why they are so good.

The fix was in ... So I went to Ace Hardware and bought a variety of springs. Best which works nicely about screen door spring diameter but weaker and with long wire ends w/a loop. Connection only required a couple holes drilled into the bar which couples the handle to the latch. Additional holes in case adjustment was needed but it wasn't. Now the handle has a good firm like new feel.

One generally puts up with niggly issues but sometimes, once discovered, they just continue to nag and simply must be addressed and ignored only it the fix is too expensive, not practical, or with undesirable side effect.. In this case, the fix was cheap. However, I must confess a minor downside is a slightly firmer press required to open the door using the outside door handle button.

Last edited by Paul Bennett; 05-13-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Is your inner door handle floppy? a suggested fix

External mirrors were an after thought in the mid century Mercs. Many were installed at the dealerships and some of those were actually an aftermarket product. The ones listed in the accessory catalogs are the Ford sanctioned parts but may not have been made by FoMoCo.

The 49 Merc had a completely different door latching mechanism than the 50 & 51. The spring action for the 50 & 51 cars was in the latch mechanism. I've found unused NOS latches on flea pay for the 50/51 cars but those parts sources will eventually dry up.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
DavidG

I doubt if any point in its 114 year existence Ford made its own mirrors. I get the sense on the barn that some think Ford made most of its own parts. In fact, during the period in question less than 50% of the total parts count in a Ford vehicle was actually manufactured by Ford. Today it is even less.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
rotorwrench

My point was that Ford Motors didn't purchase the ones for the 1949 Mercury cars. They were purchased direct from the mirror manufacturer by the dealers for installation on customer cars. My reference is to cars that came from Ford with mirrors installed by the assembly plant as Ford accessories.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote