Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
rickblack

Default Books about Ford

A friend has an original copy of "Ford Model 'A' Car and "AA" Truck" by Victor Page printed in 1931. This book appears to be the book that was reprinted starting in 1961 and retitled "Model A Ford: Construction, Operation, Repair for the Restorer" in a blue binding. The original 1931 book has a red binding.

He wants to know what an original book is worth. Anyone have any ideas? I tried to find by Googling but only came up with the later reprint (that has shockingly high prices on Amazon.com).

Thanks in advance.
[IMG]rickblack.org/photos/Ford Model A and AA V. Page.jpg[/IMG]
--------------------------
Rick Black
Medford Oregon
--------------------------
rickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
frank55a

Default Re: Books about Ford

Rick,

Victor Page's book has been reprinted many times in hard and soft cover. The originals were printed in 29, 30, and 31. There is also a 1933 and 34 version that includes the V-8s, B and A cars. The 31 copy is what has been reprinted since the 50s. The originals also came with a diagnostic chart, which is titled Location of the New Ford Model A Power Plant Troubles Made Easy. This chart is available from the MARC Office and most Model A Parts dealers. The purpose of the chart was it shows various systems and outlines possible problems, then the user finds possible causes and goes to the book for repair procedures.

For the past 84 plus years this book has been one of the best repair manuals for the Model A. The Book reprint is available from most Model A parts dealers for between $35-40. I have several copies of the originals and the various reprints. I have paid as little as $5 and as much as $40 for an original.

A note of caution, the paper of the original books is thin and very fragile. The original book is really only good for setting on the shelf and for you to say you have one. If a person intended to use the book to work on their A then I highly recommend purchasing a new reprint, the new reprint will last for many years of use and abuse.

Ford commissioned Victor Page to write this book and it was intended to be an owners service manual for those that purchased a 'New Ford' so they could keep their "A" operating if there was not a Ford dealer close to them.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote