Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
klrh20frank

Default hot condenser

Condenser get up to 300+ deg f. Car starts out running good, but after 10- 12 miles at 40 to 45 mph it starts to hesitate and sometimes backfires. any thoughts on why the condenser would get so hot. i realize it is only a couple of inches from the exhaust manifold. is this common? thanks for any comments or suggestions.
klrh20frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:16 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: hot condenser

Generally a condenser is either good or bad, but, it wouldn't hurt to try a new 'burn proof' A&L . Doesn't take much to change them. The standard original location is close to the heat source, a heat shield can help. I have made them from trim coil just try and guide the heat from the manifold up past the distributor.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
chrs1961815

It could be your condenser is going bad. The A&L ones are a great improvement over the older ones. They have modern technology in them and are good quality. The heat issue is very small with them.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:02 AM   #4
lrf

Years ago our A club toured Sequoia Park. It was a hot day, a steep narrow road and so curvy you could see your own brake lights. Suddenly the A up front stopped, we found the solder holding the condenser and bracket melted. Replaced it and enjoyed the time together. Yes condensers get hot.
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
rotorwrench

The back flow voltage gets fairly high in a condenser which they were originally designed to absorb without problems but a poorly made condenser can start to leak that high voltage and that will make it hot.

The A&L condensers have a good reputation but I always carried a spare on the road. A heat shield might help some but it won't stop heat migration from the cylinder head through the distributor body although it may slow it down to a lower level. Whether it will make a condenser last longer, I don't know. It certainly can't hurt anything.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
Patrick L.

I probably should have added, buy a few condensers no matter who made them. Its good to have a couple hanging around and even one mounted to the firewall/coil bracket just in case.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:49 PM   #7
wwirz

I have had many problems with condenser life with the OEM design. As we know it is located directly above the exhaust manifold. I have the heat shield. I have tried everyone's condenser. I do not think you can even buy an A&L condenser anymore.

What I found does work is to buy the modern upper and lower plate. This design allows for the condenser to be placed in the area of the distributor body and removed from being directly over the exhaust manifold. Also the modern condenser is a STOCK item at NAPA in case of emergency and is a modern built condenser. I have made this change to the modern upper and lower plate since March of this year and have never had to replace the modern condenser. It has greatly improved the reliability of my Model A. I highly recommend this change.
As a contingency I also have a condenser ready to go and mounted on the firewall to be hooked to the coil should I need to. So far I have not had to resort to changing the condenser.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:01 AM   #8
TravisDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwirz View Post
I have had many problems with condenser life with the OEM design. As we know it is located directly above the exhaust manifold. I have the heat shield. I have tried everyone's condenser. I do not think you can even buy an A&L condenser anymore.

What I found does work is to buy the modern upper and lower plate. This design allows for the condenser to be placed in the area of the distributor body and removed from being directly over the exhaust manifold. Also the modern condenser is a STOCK item at NAPA in case of emergency and is a modern built condenser. I have made this change to the modern upper and lower plate since March of this year and have never had to replace the modern condenser. It has greatly improved the reliability of my Model A. I highly recommend this change.
As a contingency I also have a condenser ready to go and mounted on the firewall to be hooked to the coil should I need to. So far I have not had to resort to changing the condenser.
That sounds like a better design.
TravisDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:22 AM   #9
Patrick L.

When it comes to condensers the modern upper plate does keep them away from heat more than the originals. These use modern [ 1957-74] Ford points/condenser.

There has been quite a problem with quality of these parts, as in many parts, especially those from china. It pays to buy the expensive ones from a good parts supplier.

The modern wireless upper plate has been problematic, it loses its ground and can cause hair loss trying to figure this problem out.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #10
klrh20frank

Looks like it was heat of the exhust manifole. Taped the condenser very carefully with heat resistent tape. ran for about 30 miles with no interruptions with temperature of 85 deg. Decided to put a distributor with modern points and the condensed internal to distributor. Added a dummy condenser to fill hole in distributor. Drove the car for 95 miles in 95 deg temperature and no interruptions. thanks for sll suggestions. Knew i would get good suggestions.
Frank
klrh20frank is offline   Reply With Quote