Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
JOANNEM

Default E-bay

After several told me to try E-Bay to find some parts I did just that. I purchased a switch from 'ammuscle'. He had my money for 3 weeks. But I never received the switch. I called & I was informed that they are out of stock; BUT they are still selling the part on E-Bay.
I noted in the review; that this guy is selling it on E-Bay but doesn't have it in stock.
Well somehow he got my e-mail & said if I would change my review he would send me $10 bucks cash thru paypal. I declined & he called me some names.... He was joking he states.
I have already purchased the switch from another vendor.
Now a week later he is sending me the switch!
I am sure you have had better experiences than this. Just thought you might want to know about this guy.
Joanne
JOANNEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: E-bay

I'm sure it happens, but luckily I have always had good luck with ebay, in fact much better than most places. You do have to watch what you are buying. The prices tend to be high especially if you have to add shipping. Use ebay a lot, but most of my purchases are for items I can not find anywhere else. Think you found out first hand how hard most sellers try to protect there ratings, and ebay will back you up on most disputes, but there are always exceptions.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
TDO

Fail a complete against him thru e-bay, I always pay using PayPal. I had to file 2 complaints so far and e-bay and PayPal took care of it .
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Good point on PayPal, I use it a lot both on and off ebay. I have used it buying parts here and on HAMB. Never had an issue with PayPal.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
russcc

Buy NOS or NORS if they are available from reputable people like Fred at SSO, Ray Helgers, in RI, Tracy in Arlington TX, Ron at Dennis Carpenter NOS. If it's new. chances are it was made in China.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Agree with russcc on that one also. Almost all of my auto ebay purchases are original parts, not repros. Ebay can be a good source for original parts, but I would steer away from parts supplies. Just got a great deal on an F1 steering box, good price and it was in great shape.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Shadetree

Same here. I have had very good luck with eBay. Most people are honest.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
green50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOANNEM View Post
After several told me to try E-Bay to find some parts I did just that. I purchased a switch from 'ammuscle'. He had my money for 3 weeks. But I never received the switch. I called & I was informed that they are out of stock; BUT they are still selling the part on E-Bay.
I noted in the review; that this guy is selling it on E-Bay but doesn't have it in stock.
Well somehow he got my e-mail & said if I would change my review he would send me $10 bucks cash thru paypal. I declined & he called me some names.... He was joking he states.
I have already purchased the switch from another vendor.
Now a week later he is sending me the switch!
I am sure you have had better experiences than this. Just thought you might want to know about this guy.
Joanne
Whenever you use ebay, always check the seller's feedback before you purchase. If they have alot of negtive feedback stay away from them. Even if you make a purchase from a deadbeat seller, paypal and a report to ebay will usually take care of the problem.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
Ross6860

FWIW - I use old FleaBay quite a bit. Mostly for guitar and amplifier related items, but for many other things as well. 99+% of the folks - no issues. Buying or selling.

Even bought a car through a contact I got on Ebay.

As someone else stated, check feedback. If someone has hundreds of transactions and 100% feedback, they are probably OK.

I've only been burned once. Guy was obviously looking for something for nothing.

You pretty much are forced to use PayPal these days.
Ross6860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
jim1932

I tend to stay away from ads that have several of the same items for sale. I always use paypal
Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
cohammer60

I have had good luck with eBay until recently I sold an item and never herd from buyer. I resisted but Same old story checked his feedback and he had only two transactions. Not sure why you buy something and never complete transaction.
cohammer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #12
JOANNEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50 View Post
Whenever you use ebay, always check the seller's feedback before you purchase. If they have alot of negtive feedback stay away from them. Even if you make a purchase from a deadbeat seller, paypal and a report to ebay will usually take care of the problem.
I did check, but when the guy bribes people to change comments, it is a little tough to really believe what people say.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
JOANNEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
I tend to stay away from ads that have several of the same items for sale. I always use paypal
Good idea! I will do that in the future.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #14
RPM

Joanne--same ebay dude advertises a repro PU box shipped direct from manufacturer. He never sees the item, but marks it up hundreds of dollars. I happen to know the manufacturer who is currently behind about 12 weeks. Too bad the ebay dude doesn't mention this 3 month delay in his "Buy It Now" but I'll bet he'll take your money right now, then pass the buck about manufacturer being swamped with orders, nothing he can do, blah, blah, blah. Yeh, sure!
RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
JOANNEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
Joanne--same ebay dude advertises a repro PU box shipped direct from manufacturer. He never sees the item, but marks it up hundreds of dollars. I happen to know the manufacturer who is currently behind about 12 weeks. Too bad the ebay dude doesn't mention this 3 month delay in his "Buy It Now" but I'll bet he'll take your money right now, then pass the buck about manufacturer being swamped with orders, nothing he can do, blah, blah, blah. Yeh, sure!
MMMMM.... Why am I not surprised!
Old 07-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #16
37coop

Bought my 51 f1 on ebay usa as a buy now ,the ad said "drive anywhere" ...except off the trailer this end ,put the brakes on ,to the floor ,handbrake ...no handbrake working,seized solid ,steering all over the place , well 5 grand (English pounds )later and 15 months hard graft and its at its first old car bash this weekend ,now looks good and drives great and I love it ....no regrets but an honest description would have been nice ,the rest of my ebay experience has been good both buying and selling , how did we do without it for all those years ? cheers Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #17
CarlG

I bought my '31 pickup on eBay. The guy was a jerk and among other things tried to "amend" the payment terms after the sale. I prevailed! The mechanicals weren't quite up to the standards as advertised, but I was able to get the sale price low enough to take care of some of that.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #18
roadster36
BANNED

It's amazing how low some people will go. EBAY isn't immune to the problem. I watched the guy from Yorba Linda for a long time on EBAY.He used to collect Calif sales tax,handling charges, etc. It turns out the State of California never heard from him or received any payments. Now he has a larger problem looming.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #19
Mike51Merc

In June I placed an order for window cranks (and other stuff) from Mac's. They gladly handled the order and took my money. The box arrived without the cranks, with a notation on the slip that they were backordered. I called Mac's and asked the estimated delivery date-- the answer was 6-8 weeks.

Now how does this differ from the OP's ebay story? So the guy was out of stock and backordered. It doesn't make him the best seller, but it doesn't make him a bad guy either.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #20
Scott H in Wheaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51Merc View Post
In June I placed an order for window cranks (and other stuff) from Mac's. They gladly handled the order and took my money. The box arrived without the cranks, with a notation on the slip that they were backordered. I called Mac's and asked the estimated delivery date-- the answer was 6-8 weeks.

Now how does this differ from the OP's ebay story? So the guy was out of stock and backordered. It doesn't make him the best seller, but it doesn't make him a bad guy either.
The difference is the auction format. When you are bidding on the item it is assumed/implied the seller actually has the item.

If you don't have the item you shouldn't be running auctions on it, unless you specifically word the ad to let the buyer know they are bidding on a special order item that may take weeks to receive.

With a parts house / catalog store a reasonable person could understand how they would occasionally be out of stock on some items.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote