Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2021, 11:14 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Reasons to get a Model T

Hey Guys
This year I purchased a 29 Model A and I love it but I always wanted a Model T. Can you tell me what would be the best years and styles for a 6'3 man. What is a safe top end speed for a Model T.....I am thinking 30 to 35mph? I do not need to be convinced to buy one but I do need direction on year and style. My intention is to keep it my shop and drive it from time to time so drivability is important to me and I do like open cars.

Thanks
Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:26 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Reasons to get a Model T

Is your height in the torso or your legs. The T will be tight either way, but still fun to drive.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:10 AM   #3
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Is your height in the torso or your legs. The T will be tight either way, but still fun to drive.
I would say my height is in my legs but my 29 Phaeton is fine with the thinner back of the seat springs.

Ron
Old 05-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
dirtcop

My 6'5" brother drives my 1926 Ford touring with very little problem (he's also a healthy / thin 60 year old). He needs to get situated and he drives it all over the place. His two and five year old grand daughters love riding in the ole jalopy. I'm 6'3", but have really bad knees, so it is kind of painful for me to drive the T (hopefully new reproduction knees will solve that problem). When I installed the new interior I did replace the front seat back rest springs with 2" foam to get a little more room. Brian
dirtcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
Model A Ron

Would a Runabout have less room than a Touring car in the front seat? What's a comfortable driving speed?
Old 05-30-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
Kajtek1

I bought my roadster becouse I felt in love with it on auction yard.
It is convertible, so with softop down, 7 foot tall person can keep the head above windshield.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:09 AM   #7
J Franklin

A comfortable driving speed is 20-40 MPH on the road. The real challenge is keeping a safe stopping distance always.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
Model A Ron

Quote:
A comfortable driving speed is 20-40 MPH on the road. The real challenge is keeping a safe stopping distance always.
That seems just fine for me. My Model A has good brakes but I like to use as much engine braking as I can. Is the Model T good with engine braking before you need to use the brakes? I have not driven a T but the different configuration is something that appeals to me.

Ron
Old 05-31-2021, 12:33 PM   #9
J Franklin

Engine braking is about like with your Model A. Shifting down as you are slowing is a snap unlike the A.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:35 PM   #10
HDowse

Others will chime in Ron but I’d say engine braking is possible at low speeds. Remember you only have two gears, low and direct. Going down a nearby hill I push the 'clutch' into 'neutral', rev the motor and stomp the 'clutch' into low, let the rpms drop and idle down the hill. I think I’d say the stock brakes on a T are about 25% as effective as the stock brakes on my '29 coupe, if that’s any help. As far as year, you’ll be happier with a self starter, '19 and onwards and if you find a ‘26 or ‘27 those years do have a larger service brake and larger drums on the rear for the emergency/parking brake. Auxiliary brakes and. Ruckstell rear end would be a couple of good options.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:09 PM   #11
JoeBauer

You need to drive one to see if there is enough room to be comfortable. Foot size matters as the pedals are close together. I think you will find the 26 - '27 Fordor has the most room with the most pedal space, but they are tight. On my '26 Fordor I find I have to sit bolt upright, not comfortable for a long distance drive.

Your best bet is probably a speedster, the seat can be moved back on most of them and made to be good for long legs.

Bottom line is find one to sit in and determine if you it fits your needs.
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:16 PM   #12
J Franklin

The speedster idea would be perfect.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:16 PM   #13
Model A Ron

Quote:
The speedster idea would be perfect.
I think building a speedster would offer the best leg room but I love the Model T and Model A because it's part of history. I have no problem making minor modifications to improve drivability but I do want a car that would look stock to the majority of people looking. I have always had a soft spot for open cars so that said would I get any more room in Touring Car as opposed to a Runabout or a roadster truck? The only reference to an Antique car I have is my 29 Model A Phaeton.....its tight but comfortable for me for long drives. If it were any tighter and did not have thin back of the seat springs it would be to tight. I need to find my local Model T club and just experience one for myself but if anyone knows the comparison to a 29 Phaeton I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks
Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 05-31-2021 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #14
JoeBauer

There are plenty of Ts in your area. if you are coming through central VA sometime I am south of Richmond a little over 4 hours from you. I have a stock '26 fourdoor you can sit in along with a speedster which will fit you well, and a TT modified to fit me (seat is back 8"). If you behave I'll even take you for rides so you can see how they are on the highway.

Driver comfort is important if you intend to drive a lot. Not so much if you just do parades and doodle around the neighborhood every now and then.

I will send you a message through the pm system, although I have found it does not always work. Love to have you sit in one to check your fit.
JoeBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #15
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBauer View Post
There are plenty of Ts in your area. if you are coming through central VA sometime I am south of Richmond a little over 4 hours from you. I have a stock '26 fourdoor you can sit in along with a speedster which will fit you well, and a TT modified to fit me (seat is back 8"). If you behave I'll even take you for rides so you can see how they are on the highway.

Driver comfort is important if you intend to drive a lot. Not so much if you just do parades and doodle around the neighborhood every now and then.

I will send you a message through the pm system, although I have found it does not always work. Love to have you sit in one to check your fit.
Thanks Joe
I do travel from time to time for work so the next time I am up your way I will let you know. Thank you for the offer.

Ron
Old 06-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #16
Model A Ron

If anyone is looking to give a Model T Open Car a new home please send me a message.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:45 AM   #17
NZFordguy

Some good options on the MTFCA classified website. Depends if you are a brass man, black era or new beauty guy I guess?
NZFordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:34 PM   #18
RAJO special

I own a couple of T's and just recently purchased a '30 Fordor. I really enjoy the Model A and so does the wife and grandkids. But I actually enjoy driving the T more. Just driving, it is very engaging. I feel much more part of the car in the T.
As far as which one, Tourings are easy to come across, possible a 26-27 sedan. I am not a big guy by any means, but I can barley fit in the 24 Depot Hack, and the 25 TT truck.
Find a local club and drive one they are and experience.
All the best,
K
RAJO special is offline   Reply With Quote