Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2015, 01:21 AM   #61
CarlG

Default Re: Oil Filter

That little piece of tubing shown above is stuffed into the hole that discharges oil into the chamber, forces the oil into the filter then back into the chamber.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:23 AM   #62
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Just removed an A-Ford-Able filter with a remote canister that can be used with headers. Had to cut the tubing to remove it, but it can be made to work. Includes original instructions. Pay the FedEx ground fees and it can be yours for free! PM me.
Do you have pictures and/or instructions as to how you accomplished this?
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 07-30-2015, 01:26 AM   #63
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdave_mcc View Post
Ok Carl. I just want to be clear. The a ford able filter literally just dumps the oil straight back into the front chamber? Nothing fancy going on...That makes things easier for me. Probably just over thinking it.
Just imagine in the drawing above, the oil comes out of the filter into a hole in the valve cover. No other fitting or anything. The only fitting is to get the oil INTO the filter. There is nothing on the exit side.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 07-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #64
denis4x4

Used the adapter with a 3/8" union and hose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-005F.JPG (88.6 KB, 168 views)
Old 05-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #65
brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettlesr View Post
I use the "Taylor" timing side cover filter adapter with a right angle adapter. It and my engine were both converted to full flow. The April 2010 issue of Secrets of Speed magazine has the information needed to convert the adapter for full flow use.
I really like how you did this...I cant seem to find the article in SOS to convert to full flow
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:40 AM   #66
brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0B View Post
I bought a "remote filter kit sold for hot rods etc. " It cost $24.95 I got it on Ebay ...I bolted it to the flange that runs along the firewall using the existing bolts on the flange using a small piece of angle iron the filter is mounted by the fuel filter bowl it is upright and I can change it easy without spilling a drop of oil! ...I ran 3/8th inch heavy black fuel type hose down to the oil pump hole in the block using an adapter then removed the valve cover and drilled and tapped it for 1/8th inch pipe threads for another adapter this is where the output of the filter goes and it dumps into the front of the valve chamber ...I removed the return line from the filter stuck it in a cambells soup can and started the engine the can filled quickly so flow through the filter is fine ...I can also check it any time by holding my hand on the filter it gets hot indicating good flow ...I have had the filter on now for almost 2 years with no problems and have been changing the oil every 2000 miles ...The oil looks very clean even at 2000 miles and I am thinking of going to a 3000 mile oil change ...This filter IS NOT a full flow filter BUT every few minutes all the oil does go through the filter and gets cleaned ...Just in case I added an oil pressure gauge connected up at the filter input so I KNOW there is oil flow AND I know the oil pump etc. is working properly ... B0B in Michigan
After reading above. I don't agree with the Model A times on why the Taylor filter is ineffective. I'm thinking about using the Taylor adapter, but pulling the oil from inside the valve chamber like the Afordable filter, to a bulk head fitting in the cover, to the Taylor adapter , but instead of dumping the oil into cam gear area, reroute the discharge to the valve cover ...I have tube header so I'm looking for a way to filter my oil.. any thoughts?

Last edited by brokenspoke; 05-08-2016 at 05:22 PM. Reason: addition
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:28 AM   #67
Dollar Bill

The only problem I see is that it doesn't filter 100% of the oil but some filtration is better than none as in Henrys original design.