Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
cooke

Default Wiring question

I am installing the Signal Stat 900 in the A. I have the wires for all the lights run and I am about to put the wire on the brake light switch as described in the directions. It seems odd but I guess the brake light switch now will get the power from the signal stat 900 is this correct and why?. I would guess it is so the brake lights do not stop functioning when you use both the signal and brakes together, is that correct.

It states to disconnect the Green wire on the stop light switch that goes to the back tail lights and connect the Black and Grey wire here

both the hot wire coming into the brake light switch and the wire going out to the brake lights are green. The directions are bit fuzzy to me any suggestions are appreciated. I am assuming they want to have the Signal Stat black and grey wire connected were the green hot wire comes into the switch.

Thanks Martin
cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Del in NE Ohio

Default Re: Wiring question

Martin you are one the right track. One of the two green wires that connect to your brakelight switch supplies the power to your stop lights. That is the wire you have to remove and replace with the gray wire coming from the controller. If you have a test light or voltmeter, you can see which of the two green wires is "HOT" and that is the one you remove and tape over. You are correct, this will allow the power coming from the controller to illunimate which ever brake light is not indicating "TURN"
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
cooke

Del, Thanks for clarifying that for me, the instructions are a bit confusing.

Thanks,
Martin
cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Pilotdave

Important point in above reply: "tape over" that hot green lead. After I installed turnsignals in our Tudor, I spent several weeks chasing an intermittant short. It was that hot lead that kept shorting out to the frame. I could claim that the instructions failed to mention the need to tape up that wire, but I should have thought to do it myself!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote