Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
700rpm

Post Why do you own a Model A?

A man asked me this today when I took my Coupe to the grocery store, and it is not a common question, at least for me, when I’m out in my A.
It took a moment to form a coherent reason, but it enlivened the conversation with the stranger.

How about you? Why do you own a Model A?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
MickyD

Default Re: Why do you own a Model A?

I always wanted one after a. high school classmate of mine showed me the model a pickup he and his dad were working on. I was hooked from that date on.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #3
Model A Ron

I would say for many reasons

1. I remember my grandfather talking about riding around in his Model A in the depression and it brings back good memories of when he was with us.
2. I feel the Model A is the oldest Ford that can be driven at modern speeds with the exception of the interstate
3. I just love the antique looks of the Model A
4. Very simple to work on
5. When I drive my A I feel everyone loves me.....ok it's the car lol
6. The Model a is a piece of rolling American History that has been proven by the test of time
7. Driving my Model A makes me feel as if I am in a time machine and I am in a place and time much simpler than the current screwed up country we live in.
8. When driving my Model A I cannot stop smiling

I could keep going but I will say that I have owned many classic cars and my Model A is by far number one.......just love it!

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
Harpkatt

Well I always wanted a hot rod and landed on an A roadster body. After a hodge podge hot rod roadster gave endless trouble I was taken for a ride in a stock Phaeton. I was sold. It rode like a dream and I knew I needed a real A. I took a few years but I found my coupe it was the right price and in pretty good condition.

I'm working on rebuilding the hot rod roadster but its now banger powered with all the original running gear. This one will have hydraulic brakes though.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
Jeff P. / MN

This from my biography on my profile page:
“ A car nut since birth! My dad was a car salesman in the 50's, he brought home a different car every day. I would sit in the window and watch for him. When I was 10 or so a man across the alley from my grandparents had a Model T and a Model A in his yard. He let me play in them and I was hooked!”
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #6
Chris Haynes

Because I can't afford a Model B.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:39 PM   #7
30Murray

A few years ago I was in a meeting at work with a number of people who didn't know each other. In order to break the ice, my boss asked everyone to tell what kind of car they drove and why. I said my car was a Model A Ford, the reason being that was all I could afford because my boss wouldn't give me a raise. That 'broke the ice' with all but one person in the room....
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:40 PM   #8
alexiskai

We bought a house and the late owner had left it in the garage.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:46 PM   #9
Blue-Truck-Nut

Because growing up, most of the guys I admired and respected had Model A's. Monkey see, monkey do......

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Blue-Truck-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #10
Synchro909

About 25 years ago, I owned 3 late 20's cars. A Chrysler, a FIAT and a Delage. A fire in the workshop cost me the first two and I swore off cars after that. My wife nearly died in that fire.
After a while, the itch returned and we (wife and I) agreed to go back but I wasn't going to restore another car. I wanted one that was a good, reliable driver with a decent appearance so it wasn't a police magnet and was easy to keep on the road. That last item meant it had to be a Model A. What I didn't count on was the way they multiply. I now have 4 of them.
I have told several times of the long trips we do and the car keeps coming back for more. Happy we made the right choice.

This could be a fun thread.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:03 PM   #11
Jack Shaft
BANNED

A boy who was thrilled by his fathers story's of 'five dollar' model a's. He bought a 31 deluxe coupe in 1967.he put up a hundred, my two brothers and I put up fifty.. other than me they all lost interest and ultimately sold it to buy a sunfish sail boat.. I was heart broken, but at 11 that didn't hold much weight..I bought my first at 16,a late 31 deluxe delivery for 1800 bucks...sold it for 2500 when I went into the Seabees.. thought I cut a fat hog making 700 bucks..wish I still had that one.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:18 PM   #12
TerryH

My first car, in 1964, was a Model A Standard Coupe.....which I bought as several of my high school friends also had Model A’s, and I just fell in love with it.....plus my dad had grown up with Model T’s and A’s. I had that car for 3 years as my daily driver, going to college and also work. I put over 30,000 miles on it, including taking my future wife out on our first date. Had to sell it in late 1967 when I went in the AF for 4 years.
Then, in 2006, a good friend bought a Model A Roadster, and that re-kindled my love of Model A’s, and several months later I found my car.....a 1930 restored Town Sedan, which I still have, and drive 3-4 times a week. At 76 I still love driving it, getting friendly looks, and explaining what it is to younger folks. A couple times a week I still go out to the garage, turn the light on, and just gaze at it for a few minutes. It’s simply a wonderful car from long ago, and the difference between it and my Lexus IS350 is profound.....and fun!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:53 AM   #13
pbishop

I first had a 1919 Model T given to me by my wife for Christmas. Completely restored the car and loved driving it. Then had the opportunity to buy a Model A coupe and just had to have the car. So much more modern, reliable, and faster. Totally restored the Model A and then upgraded to 12 volt, Weber carb, modern points and plug wires, 19mm spark plugs, shaved head, and lightened flywheel. The car does a steady 65 mph without being over-taxed.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:42 AM   #14
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Because I can't afford a Model B.
I wanted a B also, couldn't afford one 50 years ago, now I have to keep the A for my kids and grand kids.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:32 AM   #15
springerpete

I always loved Model T Fords. I had three at different times and rebuilt a lot of parts to get them in good shape. Then I grew up and got an A. Still have a T but drive the A a lot.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:12 AM   #16
ronn

got tired of looking for parts for all of my other "orphan" cars, including chevrolet.....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #17
Pdgx

Wife kept complaining my ‘17 TT and ‘22 Mack were too slow !

Now we can do almost 3x as fast . . . . .
Pdgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #18
ModelAMike1930

I had always loved the model a body style. One of the neighbors had one when I was a kid I would stop what I was doing as a kid and would watch it drive down the street till it was out of site. I had the chance to buy one 5 years ago and then bought a model a pickup which I tore apart and did the body work on it.I now own a coupe and pickup.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #19
McMimmcs

Its my way to slow life down and enjoy my family and friends. Life is too fast paced with little time to relax. I try to keep it original as my ancestors did. To add things like radial tires and high compression head etcetera defeats my original purpose. If I want a fancy car I’ll drive my Cadillac.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:11 AM   #20
KenBolton

Because they’re cool!!!!!!!!
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #21
Stingray70

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBolton View Post
Because they’re cool!!!!!!!!

Yep!
Old 04-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #22
Chris in WNC

fun to drive, fun to tinker with, easy to get parts for.

and they are babe magnets.
my wife saw me driving my town sedan in the grocery store parking lot before we met and remembered it when she saw it at my house later......
Old 04-09-2021, 08:56 AM   #23
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
fun to drive, fun to tinker with, easy to get parts for.

and they are babe magnets.
my wife saw me driving my town sedan in the grocery store parking lot before we met and remembered it when she saw it at my house later......
Babe magnets hahaha, corvettes and Beamers are babe magnets! Thank you for my laugh of the day ( laugh not chuckle )! Wayne
P.s. maybe very old babes !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #24
Ray in La Mesa

I didn't have a chance to want another type car. When I was 5 or 6 I was awaken every morning by the sound of a '29 delivery idling next door to my bedroom window. It belonged to an elderly Italian fellow who grew flowers & fruit for the Los Angeles flower market and he would start & let it idle while he loaded his wares. This was in 1950, in 1955 he finally traded it in for a '55 Ford panel delivery. By then I was hooked on A's even though my Dad had a '28 Chevy roadster pickup for dump runs. it was close though as I pieced together a '28 A roadster pickup in 1968 to drive till I finished restoring my'30 cabriolet. Well, the cabriolet is about 3/4's done & I'm still driving my '28 pickup.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #25
Mulletwagon

I too like the time machine factor - a great example of when cars came with power and automatic NOTHING. Also a great chick magnet.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #26
Oldbluoval

I’ve had days where I ask my self that very question!
��
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #27
Mister Moose

My Dad bought what became my car in rough but runs shape, and he never did anything with it. I came home from college and had little to do in the evening, so I started to restore it. That led to owning a completed frame-off 1930 Tudor.

I like the look of the late 20's to mid 30's cars, the separate fenders, the spoked wheels, the running boards, whitewalls, side-mounts, the big headlights, and the era when cars had bud vases. Driving was meant to be an arrival, or an adventure.

But a chick magnet? No. I had a client that bought a brand new DeLorean. Women would leave their cards on his windshield. That's how you know when you're a chick magnet. Show of hands, how many times has anyone had a woman leave their card on your Model A?
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #28
woofa.express

Do I love my Model A?

No I don’t love it, I am besotted with it. Those flowing mudguards and running boards. The radiator and headlights. The sound of the exhaust and the horn. Nothing can match it. I even enjoy walking into the garage just to view it. And I understand the mechanics of it. It has one aspect I really do enjoy. Simplicity. I love simplicity. I have always being good at simplifying complex procedures, situations and nonsense. When I was in business I could outperform all my competitors because of that one factor.
Like Keith True (in the thread posting pictures) I too have a flip lid mobile phone (and a $35 Aldi credit lasts me a whole year) but don’t go to the extreme as Keith: we have modernised our ringer washing machine plus my watch is battery powered.

And when I thank God for the food that is placed on my table I also thank him and Henry for my Model A.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #29
1928Mik

The car I have was my Dad's but he lost interest and put it on blocks. I got it running after he passed away. I think it is a cool car, easy to work on, and always a conversation starter at the gas station. Definitely not a chick magnet, but I owned a Viper at one time which was, and yes, women would leave their contact info, much to the chagrin of my wife haha! Then I found out many owners of those cars were unfriendly better-than-you-are types, but with the Model A I have only met very nice people.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #30
65f100

becuase i had no idea what i was getting myself into
when i saw my 29 pu i just had to have it!
65f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #31
kawagumby

In the early sixties, no less than three of my friends had model A's. I was jealous. So, to show them up, nearly 50 years later I bought my own, neener, neener. I like the simplicity, looks, sound (except when I blow a double-clutch), and the smiles we get everywhere we go.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #32
nkaminar

I have always had old cars, many of them of different makes. I have always been interested in anything mechanical. My first car was a 27 Chevy (junior high), but after getting a Model A (high school) I was impressed by the quality when compared to the Chevy. Parts were easy to come by.

By 1930's, cars had progressed to where they could be driven daily and looked really nice, at least in my eyes. IMO they went down hill in the 1940's. Before 1928 most cars were good for dirt roads and the early paved roads only (Model T, early Chevy, early Dodge, etc.).

I guess I own a Model A for all the reasons expressed by others.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #33
daren007

It’s all I could afford.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #34
Bob/AZ

I first saw my30 Murray TS as a total derelict sitting under a good friend's carport in Sierra Vista, AZ... rotten top, mice in the upholstery, bent sheet metal, four flat tires, etc. It had been driven to Alaska twice in it's life, once from Indiana in 1954 and once from Arizona in the 70's. I asked him to keep me in mind if he ever thought about selling it. A couple of years later he not only sold it to me (for one dollar) but delivered it to my home in northern AZ free gratis. Friends like George are few and far between. After ten years of slow restoration my TS "George" has become a great part of the family which I hope my son or daughter might want to hang on to when I go.
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:00 PM   #35
Russ/40

Because 60 years ago I wanted one, and my folks said no. At 74, I finally get to enjoy one, after restoration of a basket case I bought in the 80s. It is as I hoped, a barrel of fun.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:35 PM   #36
goodcar

I had a problem---more money than I knew what to do with it all. I don't have that problem anymore. Over the last 10 years that money has been divided between Bert's, Snyder's and Bratton's.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:59 PM   #37
jbwthree

My late uncle Charlie had a ‘29 sedan delivery when I was a child. It was how I discovered my passion for cars that has continued to this day. He helped my buy my first car at 12, a ‘69 Chevelle ! I have always wanted an A and found my ‘30 Tudor last year and have enjoyed every minute of owning it. I’ve had a number of classics but nothing compares to driving the A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbwthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #38
Ayers1

When I was a year old my parents bought a new house, a new car, and a 28 Fordor. I sat on the carport while my dad restored the 28. That was my introduction to them in 1963 and we restored several together in the following years. They bring back many good memories. BTW, my dad still has the 28.....neither one gets out as much as they used to but that's ok too.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #39
KansasRick

As a kid in the 1960s, I watched the TV show THE UNTOUCHABLES and watched Elliot Ness chasing the gangsters in Model A Fords mostly. When I drive my Model A today, I hum the theme song silently to myself sometimes looking for Frank Nitti while I hear Walter Winchell narrate in my mind.

Last edited by KansasRick; 04-09-2021 at 08:15 PM.
KansasRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:22 PM   #40
Pete

I am trying not to. I have one too many.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:27 PM   #41
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

When I was a lil kid in Knoxville, TN in the early fifties the farmers market every weekend was full of Model A pickups selling produce and flowers.

Then in the early sixties a friend had a '28 Tudor we rode to high school in.

So, now I have a '31 Tudor of my own......cause a Shay just didn't quite appeal to me as much as the original Model A.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #42
midgetracer

I have 9 Model A Fords. If I hear of one for sale, It most often follows me home. Why? The only reason that i can think of is because I am certifiably crazy. My dad got me started back when I was in college. People would tell him it was better than drinking. He was a non drinker and this would always piss him off. I have restored dozens of cars, but at my age, these cars are now being given to my children and grand children. Good thing is that they want them and are good mechanics.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #43
noyo55

My dad gave me a 30 Coupe for Christmas in 1964 to get me out of my 1957 Pontiac. He was afraid I'd kill myself in it. I still have it . The body has never been off the frame. I'm waiting for my B cam to arrive from Pete, in Washington, then the engine gets installed. I'll own it for 3 more years until my 13 year old Grandson turns 16
noyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:09 PM   #44
woofa.express

Because it does my ego good.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:48 PM   #45
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
I’ve had days where I ask my self that very question!
��
Hahahahaha!

Old 04-10-2021, 01:38 AM   #46
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
I too like the time machine factor - a great example of when cars came with power and automatic NOTHING. Also a great chick magnet.
I was just driving my 29 today with the top down in the old section of town and everyone was waving.....lets just say the horn got a good workout. As I left town and passed the 100 plus year old homes I just felt like it was 1929 all over again. The flux capacitor must kick in at 48 mph because I sure did not hit 88 today lol.

Ron
Old 04-10-2021, 01:51 AM   #47
28Danby

I bought my Tudor when mom, who owned it at the time, told me she was going to hot rod it. I just couldn't let that happen so I bought it, when I was 26 years old.
My great grandfather bought it new back in 1928 and I am the 4th generation to own it and at some point my kids will own it and with any luck, my grandkids.
I am currently doing a full, frame off resto. Fully rebuilt driveline, new subframe and floors, new brakes, everything, taking it back to its old glory.

In short, its a family heirloom and is a part of us.
28Danby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #48
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Babe magnets hahaha, corvettes and Beamers are babe magnets! Thank you for my laugh of the day ( laugh not chuckle )! Wayne
P.s. maybe very old babes !
Granted I don't know too many of them, but Corvette and Beamer owners I have met tend to be very unpleasant people. j.m.h.o.

P.S. - Alice was almost 62 when we met, so just old, not very old.
and still a babe.

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 04-10-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:45 AM   #49
1928Mik

Granted I don't know too many of them, but Corvette and Beamer owners I have met tend to be very unpleasant people. j.m.h.o.

Chris, yes I owned a couple of Corvettes besides a Viper, and all those owners tended to be unpleasant. I have heard Porsche owners are the worst tho! But anyway, every Model A owner I have met are good people.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #50
al's28/33

Post #3 from Model A Ron hits all my points.
I LOVE THE A!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:57 AM   #51
Robert/Texas

My father bought a brand-new Model A Tudor in 1930. I was born in 1934 and came home from the hospital in that car. Here is a picture of me standing next to it in 1938. He built the 8-foot wooden boat on top of the car for me. He traded the car in on a new 1939 Plymouth in December 1938 and I cried because I thought he would not carry that boat on his new car. I was wrong though.

I bought my first Model A, a 1928 roadster, in 1956 to get to work in when my hotrod-1934 roadster was out of commission. Later I replaced it with a 1932 Model B pickup.
Fast forward to 1989, I bought my early-1928 open-cab pickup at the Pate Swap Meet and a few months later my non-running May 1928 roadster as a project car.

I guess that Model A’s are in my blood, Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzz pop 1930 model a.jpg (83.0 KB, 62 views)
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #52
rfitzpatrick

Because in high school (class of '60) -- I was a nobody
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #53
Russ B

It is just a part of me. I am close to 75 and have had the 29 cabriolet since I was about 12. I have a CCPU and a coupe, neither running now, and had a Tudor and a roadster, all 1929s. I just enjoy driving the four banger with its great low end torque and too little power to get into high speed trouble.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #54
DHZIEMAN

I was 10 years old in 1950! Dad's daily driver car since the mid 30's was a 1929 Model A. I wanted to learn how to drive it.Dad would drive and let me shift. Next he got me behind the wheel and out in the country, he would get it started, and then sit next to me in a kind of propped up seat and we would drive around in 1st gear. I wanted to drive by myself and dad said If I could get it started with the crank, I could drive it on our property, in first gear. Well now, it took me some time to understand the choke, dad had a wire out front that , I could pull on the choke, and he explained retarding the spark and giving it some throttle, and, eventually, I got it started. Well now, at age 75, I found my own 1930 Model A, not in as good shape as my dads. but this one is mine and really brings back great memories!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #55
Ed in Maine

I own a Model A because I have always owned one! It was the first car I owned. I purchased a 1930 Town Sedan in April, 1964. I had two more semesters to go in college, with bills to pay, but I had money of my own earned at a A & P Food Store. It was disassembled but the pieces were excellent. The car had been owned by someone who had accumulated a large stash of Model A parts and was parting off some of the pieces to pay for the restoration of a Roadster. I remember him telling me that if something was missing, just come back, he was sure he had it somewhere. All I remember my Dad saying to me is that I bought a pile of junk. I had it running and registered two years later and left the church with it after my wife and I were married. It became our second car. What fun. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #56
HDowse

About 15 years ago an old member of the land trust I helped with decided to give his 1928 closed cab pickup to the organization so we could sell it and keep the proceeds. Being a bit of a car nut, I agreed to buy the pickup and he donated the cash. Since then I've has a '28 Leatherback and my current '29 Coupe. Along the way a '23 T roadster and a '40 Fordor followed me home. Not to mention the '37 pickup that I store for another elderly gentleman. Model A Ron hits all the points in post #3: it’s just a great car to own, drive and work on!
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #57
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
I was just driving my 29 today with the top down in the old section of town and everyone was waving.....lets just say the horn got a good workout. As I left town and passed the 100 plus year old homes I just felt like it was 1929 all over again. The flux capacitor must kick in at 48 mph because I sure did not hit 88 today lol.

Ron
Flux Capacitor! I wonder how many of us here recognize that reference.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:57 PM   #58
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Ray
I grew up in the 80's and Back to the Future still puts a smile on my face when Marty finds his way to 1955. I am a history buff and must have been born in the wrong year because I love everything old and hate technology that makes me available to the world 24 seven. When I drive my Model A and hear and feel the road the way people did 90 years back I somehow feel that connection to the past. That by it's self is a good reason to own a Model A for me.......so you see the Model A really is a TIME MACHINE

Ron
Old 04-11-2021, 01:20 AM   #59
Pete

Quote:
The flux capacitor gets it's energy from the turboencabulator.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:20 AM   #60
CarlG

When I was 14, I searched down and bought a '31 Model AA that my dad had previously owned. A couple years later I bought a '31 Fordor, kept that one thru High School. Then fast forward 50 years, 2 wives, 4 kids later, and I bought the '31 Pickup in my avatar. Couldn't be happier.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:36 AM   #61
mhsprecher

I have always liked old things and as a kid was interested in Model T's. My barber was a Model A guy and I migrated to them. I bought one in high school, but never got it on the road and sold it when I went to college. Forty years later I bought one again.

I love the looks and the simplicity. I went from one Model A to two, two V8's and a Model T. My wife loves them, too, so it's a family hobby. My daughter disapproves, but my son is a car nut like his dad.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:11 PM   #62
Synchro909

I don't own a Model A. They own me!
Old 04-12-2021, 10:54 PM   #63
Model A Ron

Because I can and wanted one
Old 04-13-2021, 12:13 AM   #64
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Because I can and wanted one
OK, bonus question, Ron: why did you want one?

Old 04-21-2021, 09:42 AM   #65
Garwood

I've always loved the fat fendered cars. Use to have a '36 Tudor. I bought my Model A truck because they are easy to work on and parts are still easy to get.
Garwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #66
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
I've always loved the fat fendered cars. Use to have a '36 Tudor. I bought my Model A truck because they are easy to work on and parts are still easy to get.
I do not think the Model A would be nearly as popular today without the help from our vendors. They play a big part on keeping our Model A's on the road.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #67
Aretino

First car I ever worked on was a Model A. When I was 13 years old a neighbor let me help work on his Model A. The simplicity, reliability, parts availability and memories were all factors when I made the decision to purchase my 31 Coupe. I find it easy to relax when i'm with the car.
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #68
Jordan

The reason I own one is because of 2 reasons: 1) inheriting my grandparent's town sedan 2) the hobby & local club

My brother and I always absolutely loved Model A'ing as kids with our grandparents- we went on tours with the Fort Worth club growing up all the time. The car is great, but what fun is it to only enjoy it by yourself? Sure, a Sunday drive is nice. But the friendships that have turned into family through our club is what keeps me involved & loving my Model A's.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #69
DNLs1930

Quote:
A man asked me this today when I took my Coupe to the grocery store, and it is not a common question, at least for me, when IÂ’m out in my A.
It took a moment to form a coherent reason, but it enlivened the conversation with the stranger.

How about you? Why do you own a Model A?

I was expecting to read "Your reason" in the post...

I would say I do not "own" a Model A but am the caretaker for my families (Grandfathers) Model A, and only became that after my Uncle had his 10 years enjoying the car (and doing A LOT OF WORK)

Gramps bought the car in the early 40s as best we can tell and then passed it to my Uncle to be used for "bodyman" vocational training in 1966 (I think) Gramps found out the fenders were going to get removed and a "hotrod" modification was planned so he picked up the car and stashed it in the garage where it stayed!

As a young child I would peak in the window of the garage and see the "cool old car" but never saw it out of the garage until my gramps passed in 2007.

My Aunt wanted me to have the car but I insisted my Uncle gets first choice as long as the fenders stayed on the car. (which they did)

My uncle passed the car on to me about three years ago but "missed" his Model A so much he bought another Model A just to go cruzin with his club!! And YES he kept the fenders on this car too.

In a few years it will be my sons turn; so we are caretakers not really owners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ipone1 034.jpg (63.9 KB, 38 views)
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:07 AM   #70
JoeCB

I was a junior in high School in 1963, Dad thought that I needed a project to keep me (and him) out of trouble. Found a 31 coup across town for $150. Dad drove it home , I followed in the 63' Chevy station wagon. Dad arrived "cooked" the Ottwell manifold heater was wide open and it was a hot summer day to boot. Still have that car, dad and I did the engine, babbet and all, mom sewed the upholstery. An old restoration, parts from Warshawsky, nitro lacquer, body work all lead, all original and looks real good, a driver... no trailer queen.
Joe B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00208.jpg (108.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by JoeCB; 04-24-2021 at 07:15 AM.
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #71
Jemelton#

I am also the caretaker of my wife's family 29 Tudor, it sat in the barn for over 55 years before I was asked to take it over. purchased new in Grand Island, Nebraska.
Jemelton# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #72
chikin31

Took my driver's test in one in 1957, passed with flying colors! Decided I should have one of my own. Found a 31 coupe parked in a chicken coop, after some serious negotiating, bought it for $35. Cleaned it up, put new tires and battery on, drained the gas tank and it was ready to go. Drove it all through high school, loved it, but sold it for $300 thinking I'd made a 10% profit, and promised myself I'd get another one. 40 years later I bought the same model coupe that needed a repaint that lived in Bend, Or. It had a Donovan engine, which I loved, so drove it back to Az. and unrestored it. It's now my "Chikin Coop".
I drive it now thinking I can recapture my youth, which usually works until I try to crawl underneath!
chikin31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:48 PM   #73
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I have always liked old things and as a kid was interested in Model T's. My barber was a Model A guy and I migrated to them. I bought one in high school, but never got it on the road and sold it when I went to college. Forty years later I bought one again.

I love the looks and the simplicity. I went from one Model A to two, two V8's and a Model T. My wife loves them, too, so it's a family hobby. My daughter disapproves, but my son is a car nut like his dad.
Wow nice collection of antique Fords!!!!

They are just a neat looking little car, fun to drive and monkey around with AND as 'small' as they are they really don't take up much room. For days when you feel the need for speed, it's fun to have an early Mustang in the shop too!

They are a less expensive way to get into the old car hobby than a lot of old cars, and are really pretty dependable restored to FACTORY specs with good parts.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:29 PM   #74
camcrusher

Because I'm 6'-7" and wanted to see if I could fit in one. It's tight but it puts a smile on my face. I have a '29 ccpu that's almost road worthy and a '30 ccpu in the works.
camcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #75
burner31

Because owning a Model Z is just crazy............
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #76
29abone

chicks dig 'em
29abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #77
Oldbluoval

When I was pre-7 (now almost 74) family used to sit on the front porch. There was a fellow named Lawton that used to come by in a 30 roadster. You could hear the distinctive sound from a long way away; he would come hauling by!
Dad said he was going home from a beer joint several miles up the road. Obviously not of sound faculties and, again, hauling.
We moved to another town. When I was about 18 Dad heard Lawton passed. I found out particulars and found the car……disassembled in his shop! I did buy it and he had started restoration/repairs/demolition! It was sorta a disaster of body repairs. I tinkered for awhile and didn’t have skills nor facilities. And college was calling. Sold that one but found a 31 running roadster. Except for a very few years post-marriage I’ve had one of some sort.
My favs are the slant windshield cars.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #78
RAJO special

Always enjoyed old cars, started with a 1939 Plymouth when I was just 14. Since then I have had old cars, trucks, motorcycles. Finally settled on Model A's and T's. Easy to work on easy to get parts, and a great following for all the information we need to keep them running.
K
RAJO special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #79
GerryAllen

As a boy of about 4, went to visit my Great Uncle on his farm near Pincher Creek Alberta, Canada. He had a Model A PU parked behind the barn, I was mesmerized by the flowing fenders and shiny head lights. Every time i saw an A my eyes were drawn to the fenders and head lights, what can I say.
I was snooping around one day on the internet and searched Model A's, the rest is history.
I love my 1930 Coupe and polish the fenders and head lights with great care
Gerry Allen Birch Bay WA

[COLOR="Red"]As a side note I was once asked why I own an A, I answered " there are as many reasons for owning an A as there are pebbles on the beach"[/COLOR]

Last edited by GerryAllen; 08-19-2021 at 05:06 PM.
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:09 PM   #80
jayvee34

I have owned 5, a Speedster, Roadster, Coupe, 2 door, and a Murray Town Car.
Enjoyed each of them.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:37 PM   #81
todd3131

Easy
I was born into it like a crack baby. My father had a collection that he restored from the late 40s on. You hear stories that a baby after being born will recognize their mothers voice. My father had a 28 Wheaton for touring when my mother was pregnant and she tells the story that if she was feeding me and dad was out working running the car she couldn't get my attention till he shut it off. Well I have and continue to love anything with four wheel and a motor but I love nothing more than a model a idling or going through the straight cut gears. Like a crack baby I can't get away from it.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote