Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2021, 01:02 PM   #81
McMimmcs

Default Re: It’s getting harder to drive my A

[QUOTE=WHN;1995766]Last year got under our 29 and couldn’t get out. My wife was going to call the EMT’s.

After about 30 minutes, I was able to slide out. Never again.[/QUOTE[I

Not funny at the time but funny now !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #82
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

I was born in the 1940's. All of us could use zerk fitting on are joints and a little grease.
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:28 PM   #83
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
I'm 80 now, and just don't take my roadster out any more. I'm afraid that if something went wrong I wouldn't be able to handle it anymore. And where do you have an "A" towed to if something you can't repair does go wrong?
Good point. We just got back from dropping my 1967 ElCamino off at the Chevy dealership. They said that they will have to manually enter the alignment specs into their machine to align the thing. I hope it gets done right because this is the last thing to complete the restoration.

But they were all curious enough that about 6 of them all flocked around it, and wanted to look it all over. To which I said "guys it's gonna spend at least 1 night here you all can look at it all you want after we get the job wrote up".

I'm always very nervous about hiring work done. Seems like the chances of it being done right the first time gets worse and worse. No one fixes anything anymore, they just change parts. I can hardly imagine dropping off a 93 year old Model-A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ElCamino.JPG (40.0 KB, 31 views)
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:51 AM   #84
nkaminar

I have an 8 mm movie of my grandfather getting in and out of the Model A coupe I drove in high school. It was a struggle for him.

At this point I can relate. I see myself having the same struggle getting in and out of my Model A now. But I still can do it and I so much enjoy driving the car.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #85
Aretino

My ass gets sore after an hour or so, mostly the right cheek. A friend suggested sitting on a tennis ball to alleviate the soreness. I move the tennis ball around until I feel pressure on the sore spot. It seems to help. Sciatica nerve pain I reckon. The arthritis in my hands is another story.
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #86
Russ/40

I'm 74 and unfortunately very late in experiencing a childhood dream to own an A. When I should have been running around in an A or Deuce, the parents said no can do. Did all the work restoring the RPU and having a ball driving it. Just a bit difficult getting in and out. I think I'm going to start stepping on the running boards, as its a hip killer stepping in over the board. So i'll lose some paint, and that fresh restoration look. It doesn't have to be perfect. I also have a '40 sedan thats pretty nice, but im thinking seriously about a closed A. Maybe one of you guys can trade a nice closed A for my '40. Great touring car, and easy to get in and out of.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #87
Mulletwagon

At 72 I can still drive my 31 on a long trip like I was 20. It just takes alot longer to recover.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:43 PM   #88
Gene F

We picked up the ElCamino this evening. Bad news - LOL
Old 10-15-2021, 03:59 AM   #89
SAJ

I am just coming to 77. I have worn out shoulders, a bent back and osteo arthritis. I can not easily get under a car or get up again without a lot of pain. So I have a 4 post drive-on hoist. But I can no longer reach up above my head when standing under the car due to the worn out shoulder joints.
However, I can fit in my 1930 roadster or my wife's Tudor very comfortably and drive for 2 hours before stopping for a stretch and refreshments.
Steering at parking speeds is hard but I take it slowly. Steering while on the move is OK. My reactions are still excellent and both cars stop well with standard brakes.
I have been blind in the right eye since a teenager, so backing up is difficult (right hand drive here), due both to lack of depth perception with only one eye, and limited head and neck rotation. But other club members immediately jump to my aid when parking at a destination, yelling "quick go and help that one-eyed bastard" to one another with a laugh.
I hope to continue driving my Model A's for at least other 15 years, as long as my reactions remain sharp.
For working on them, there always seem to be those willing to help, as I helped them up until I was 70 and became arthritic.
If my shoulders were replaced, it may give me a new lease of life, but I am getting on ok without the operations at present.
One key point was replacing the Tudor seat bottom springs with solid contoured foam rubber, stretching the original cloth upholstery over the reformed bases. They are very comfortable and supportive like this.
Ì have 4 other old English cars that I work on and drive too.
I notice that I have to keep moving to keep limber. Things seize up quickly without exercise,even though it can be painful.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #90
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Good point. We just got back from dropping my 1967 ElCamino off at the Chevy dealership. They said that they will have to manually enter the alignment specs into their machine to align the thing. I hope it gets done right because this is the last thing to complete the restoration.

But they were all curious enough that about 6 of them all flocked around it, and wanted to look it all over. To which I said "guys it's gonna spend at least 1 night here you all can look at it all you want after we get the job wrote up".

I'm always very nervous about hiring work done. Seems like the chances of it being done right the first time gets worse and worse. No one fixes anything anymore, they just change parts. I can hardly imagine dropping off a 93 year old Model-A.
Gene, I'm a Ford guy thru and thru but THAT is a sharp car! Like it!! I love all the cars from that era the older I get (67)

We have an alignment shop near us that also does body work. I'd never dream of taking one of our Fords to the dealership for an alignment because this shop does super nice work, they are reasonable and very honest, and the tech that handles the front end work has been doing it since 1974 and is a good friend. Next time maybe I'd seek out a shop like that instead of the dealership, plus sounds like they aren't set up to do your El Camino anyway.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #91
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
We picked up the ElCamino this evening. Bad news - LOL
What did they do?? Curious here.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #92
Gene F

I called a shop that does nothing except springs, and alignments, suspensions... They wanted to guess at $240 if everything is ok. I was close to taking it to Tire Discounters, and now wondering if I should have ($120).

They were so proud to show me a printout their fancy machine spit out. Wrong specs were either in the system, or typed in. My 1967 Chevy ElCamino factory manual has different specs. There is one that is in spec, but it is at the limit, so technically it's correct. On a dead-level road it does track straight. However, the wheel is off at the top by about 3/4 to 7/8" I know what he did, he cleared his machine before he took it for a test drive. I specifically asked that the tech test drive it to check his work. They typed on the work order that "the steering box is worn, so the wheel may not always be straight, but it drives right". Bull he just didn't want to walk the sleeves over like 1/2 turn, and recheck. A manual steering box, with a rag-joint will never be as tight as a rack-n-pinion. It's a manual steering box rag-joint too. I drove the thing, and knew I was gonna take it in, and I never even thought the box was loose. Thought about adjusting the thrust on it, then decided heck he left something undone and wanted to move on. I'll pop the steering wheel off, and move it over a notch. Will take me less time than it will to even drive back over there. Owned it 15 years, I bet I have less than 2,000 miles on it. I think that steering shaft has a 32 spline on it. Ticks me off. $182

Last edited by Gene F; 10-15-2021 at 07:45 PM. Reason: add value
Old 10-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #93
kawagumby

I have a '41 ford hot rod I'm putting together as a project. I couldn't get a wheel-alignment from the pro's because they couldn't fit their wheel system on the wheels (not enough clearance with lowered profile).
So, I bought a fastrax wheel alignment tool and did it myself. I also used the "string method" to do the toe-in and centering the wheel (I do have a toe-in tool also but this car's suspension and steering is built from scratch, never before assembled, so I wanted to make sure the steering was centered first). The Fastrax tool was about $150. I did a little research on the settings and came up with the values that ended up working very well for the manual steering Mustang II type front end the hot rod has.

My point is, if you're up to it physically, it can be kinda fun doing it yourself and learning how the different settings affect how the car steers and travels. At 74, I move a lot slower than I used to, but the satisfaction is no less.

Tom
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #94
TerryH

I’m 76 now, and the last few years had bad arthritis in my right hip…..very difficult getting in and out of my Town Sedan. Then last May I had hip replacement surgery and am now fully recovered. I can once again step over the running board and into the car with no problems. The new hip replacement procedures are very non-invasive, and heal quickly. Any of you thinking about I would encourage you to have it done…..no use waiting until you are older!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:42 PM   #95
Eccentric Old Guy

I'm 72. On my 28CCPU, I've found that getting out of the vehicle is a bit easier, if I slide toward the passenger seat about 6". Otherwise, it gets difficult to get my left leg around the door jamb. Getting in is no problem, and I use the running board to step on.
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #96
katy

Gene F, I commiserate w/you about your experience at the alignment shop. I had a similar type situation in 1989 w/a Ford dealer on my 1960 Thunderbird.

Be resilient, overcome, adapt and carry on.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #97
Gene F

It's why I always try to do as much as I can myself. No one ever does anything right. It's always "ahh that's good enough".
Old 10-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #98
woofa.express

Coming of age.

In this thread I read how aging folk are finding more and more difficult to drive their A’s. Well yes, I too are finding it likewise. But what is even more difficult is the dried-up money stream that I miss now I am no longer working. Having to budget and to spend with care is a bit of a shock.
I have off-loaded my aeroplanes. My vintage G.M. motorcar is lent permanently to an enthusiast who will enjoy it and take care of it. My Tourer is going to my son, my lovely ’30 Coupe will go on blocks- I cannot bring myself to sell it and I will retain and use my ’28 Roadster Ute.
Besides the body ailments I suffer, it is the work I miss and the money stream that accompanies work.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-16-2021 at 05:05 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:44 PM   #99
Rodrelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
I'm still able to drive my "A", but have a less and less desire to. The main road (Highway 50) here is being widened and is one big mess! Plus, the last half a dozen times I've taken the roadster out for a cruise around the neighborhood. It has quit on me for some obscure electrical problem or another. I have been able to limp home and I think I know what the problem is and maybe corrected it. But, with the crappy roads and lousy drivers I just do not have the desire to go out anymore. I'll be 70 next month and I have been toying with the idea of selling my last old car.

Bob-A
I know what you say, my brother always swore by going down the middle to the keys, the coasts are so crowded. (35 years ago) Last year I went to my father’s in Naples and came up the center and escaped to the coast to get to the panhandle, many miles of traffic lights and congestion. If I venture to events from home in center panhandle to zephyr hills & such will use trailer and 19 to get close. Yes drivers are not knowledgeable on such skills
as merging, roundabouts, big truck needs and allowances… piss poor education causes problems to those of us that know what we’re doing.
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:19 PM   #100
Ayers1

And I went from MG Midgets and B's to Model A's for the same reason. Couldn't crawl out once I got in. Hopefully I'll have 20 years in my A's.....
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote