Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #41
1wonton
BANNED

Default Re: Rumble Seat vs. trunk values

Now I so scared of my dangerous Model A I think I'll just get rid of it and hide under the bed. Thanks for the heads-up on this, I'll be sure to get helmets, seat belts, written permission and mega insurance before I even think of taking my precious grandkids for a ride in my Sherman tank.
1wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #42
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wonton View Post
Now I so scared of my dangerous Model A I think I'll just get rid of it and hide under the bed. Thanks for the heads-up on this, I'll be sure to get helmets, seat belts, written permission and mega insurance before I even think of taking my precious grandkids for a ride in my Sherman tank.
You forgot, You now have to install a NASCAR approved "ROLL BAR" !!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #43
Brother Hesekiel

My rumble seat roadster was converted to a trunk by the previous owner who used it exclusively for touring. An A trunk is huge! I switched back to rumble seat and am glad I did. There's still enough space for 10 large grocery bags (6 on the floor and 4 in the seat), so about $650 which exceeds what I buy at any given time. I like the cool factor of the rumble seat, and quite a few folks wanted to ride in it. The other day I went to an antique swap meet and totally unexpected found 2 1940s/'50s pedal cars for $85 total. I stuffed them both in my rumble seat and transported them home safely.

If I need to carry more, I take my pickup truck.

Yes, riding in the rumble seat is potentially dangerous. So is driving a Model A. Even more dangerous is a motorcycle. I have several of those plus three 1950s/'60s Lambretta motorscooters. Fact is, the mortality rate of life is 100%; nobody gets out alive. I might as well enjoy the time I have on this planet, me thinks. The day I'm too afraid to drive my Model A is the day I will start aging rapidly, as that would mean one of my most pleasurable past times have been taken away from me. Time to make a sprint to the finish line then.

Last edited by Brother Hesekiel; 07-19-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #44
colin1928

from my observation on values someone buying their 1st Model A prefers a rumble seat it is all part of the dream this is the same person who normally pays top money
after many have owned a car with a rumble and learn more about A models and done a few tours loaded for weekends away and had clowns scratch it get in and out
their 2nd will have a trunk and they will pay a less because they will more about what they are looking at also the dream about cruzing with people in the rumble that box has been ticked
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #45
henry's 31

I think it depends in how original is the car. Too many cars have been converted to rumble seats, so the trunk car is now more rare. If the car is very original and it was my car, I would leave it with a trunk.

Henry's 31
henry's 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #46
bobpo1

My '30 Coupe came with the Rumble Seat, so I built a Luggage Trunk.
Now I have the best of both worlds.................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photos - up to 5-10-2014 080.JPG (124.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Photos - up to 5-10-2014 081.JPG (118.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Photos - up to 5-10-2014 085.JPG (127.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Photos - up to 5-10-2014 112.JPG (72.7 KB, 3 views)
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #47
KenCoupe

When I bought my 31 coupe, it came with a trunk. I figured I could change it to a rumble seat at some point. But as time went by, have grown to really like the trunk and no longer want the rumble seat. I carry my tool bag and a few spare parts in the trunk with no worries. Also, when we go on an overnight tour, my suitcase fits in quite nicely. Many members of my club that have rumble seats say they wish they had the trunk instead, but don't want to bother with making the change. I don't worry about the value difference as my car is a keeper. People that don't really know about Model A's or old cars seem to think all old cars had rumble seats and think they are "cool". I'll keep my trunk. Just my opinion and everyone else is welcome to their opinion.

Ken
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #48
Muttley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I'm not real partial to Chinese food. But I don't throw a hissy fit when my wife wants to go there, I just go with her.
Asking you to eat Chinese "food" is grounds for divorce.
Muttley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #49
H. L. Chauvin

And Carl ........ if "anyone" ever ask you to eat Chinese "Sheetrock", this is known as attempted murder.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #50
BlueSunoco

This can be summed up by, the reason a person needs a Sedan to go with that Coupe or Roadster
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #51
bobpo1

Got a visit from a youngin' from N. Carolina yesterday evening. He's about 56 yrs old, weighs in at about 380 lbs after losing 175 lbs thru surgery. He said he came out to have me take him (all of him) for a ride in my Rumble Seat. Not to mention that he can barely walk.

I have a way of handling wannabe rumble riders, I tell them "If I can't lift you up and put you in that seat and then get you out again, you ain't riding in it...................." (that's kinda stretching it, but it eliminates unwanted damage to my paint)
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #52
mshmodela

Trunk? Seat? I'd pick a Model AA...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #53
glenn in camino

I have a 29 coupe with a trunk and a 31 sport coupe with a rumble seat. The rumble seat always gets more attention at shows. I love them both, but they're both difficult to pack for a long trip, probably because they both have rear mounted spare tires. Our deluxe delivery is our best car for long tours.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #54
DougVieyra

There is no "correct" answer. It is like describing 'pretty'. All subjective to the eye of the beholder.

That being said - I think if you were to poll 100 potential buyers, I think the vast majority of the would prefer the rumble seat. As a practical matter, you can also ask the same (or different) 100 potential buyers, if they would prefer a car that seats two people, verses a car that seats four people. Again, I would suspect that there would be a vastly larger number of people that would prefer a car that sat four people. A rumble seat allows for that, in addition to 'looking a bit more sporty'. And then there is the panache of the word "Rumble Seat" and memories (or stories) of all the 'thrills' and excitement that the word conjures - sparking, spooning, and such (and for kids - FUN, FUN, FUN ! ).

And while I will not deny the practical aspect of the functional trunk, with a spare tire blocking the way to easy access, the trunk too can be a pain in the aerse. I drove my '28 Chevy (Chevy did not offer a rumble seat) for about 10 years and constantly found that the rear-mounted (Chevy also did not offer side-mounted spares) spare always made it difficult to load and unload cargo.

About the only thing a trunk offers today, is the uniqueness of what was once the common 'norm'.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 07-20-2014 at 09:44 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #55
29Cabriolet

Was a trunk option ever available for Cabriolets? Mine has a rear mount spare and it looks like with that, a trunk option isn't possible without removing the spare to open it. The rumble/trunk panel has a blanked hole where the trunk handle would be. But I am assuming the panels were made with both handle locations to save money and used as needed.
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #56
Brobrian

I know, the question is only about resale value.
Still..
My 28 Special Coupe has an aftermarket rumble seat. As stated, public love it, grandkids love it, few adults ride in it (except at Christmas when we serve them hot cider, a warm comforter and tour around looking at lights), the fender gets scratched as people get in and out, I easily remove the cushions when something big has to be carted (before I got my wonderful pickup), but even with the cushions there is tons of room for parcels especially with the roomy space on the floor the lid can be closed for security, it's the only way I can carry four people anywhere as still keep our beloved car.
Alway a hoot reading Barners' great advice, snippy responses, humorous anecdotes..
Old 07-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #57
kelley's restoration

for me I had a real hard time stuffing a folding table and 4 chairs in my coupe with a rumble... but it was easy to take them back in my coupe with a trunk...
you ever try to get a case of water out of a rumble...brutal
but I tend to use my cars as more than transportation so the more valuable car to me will be the one with trunk
tk
Old 07-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #58
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Kelley,

Looks like choosing between a rumble vs. trunk may also include an important "Medical" decision.

Like leaning far forward & lifting heavy articles out of a Model A rumble storage compartment may irritate the spine's sciatic nerves.

Then, if you don't watch it, (like mentioned on the Amos & Andy vintage radio program years ago), one could definitely later hear from the doctor that he hurt his back's "Sacro-Cracker-Jack".

What next ????????
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #59
BlueSunoco

Doug, I will admit my father-in-law's '30 Coupe w/ rear mount spare makes getting into his rumble seat easier. Something more to grab onto.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #60
Tom Wesenberg

I think the value thing just depends on whether the car has whitewall tires.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote