Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #21
48Ratfink

Default Re: Gas tank cleaning

Brent, What do You charge for a proper tank Repair/sealing? what is the best way to ship tank?
Gary in Opelika,Al
48Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #22
Terry, NJ

Thank you, Brent, Your pictures have put a new perspective on this problem.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
Jordan

i've heard of people sticking a long thick chain into the tank, and just shaking it around knocking the big rust loose. Obviously this wont get all of it, but it'll sure help.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #24
tmurph

What about using electrolytic method,
fill tank with water and washing soda insert anode, carefully of course making sure it does not contact the tank, hookup battery charger and let it do its thing.
tmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #25
Keith True

When I strap a tank to a loader wheel and spin it,I have to make sure the tank is 90 degrees to the wheel.On a 30-31 tank I have to block between the face of the tank,at the bottom of the instrument panel,to make it stand out straight.It is not a 5 minute job.After I turn it a while I look inside with a mirror and light to see where the sand/liqiud is hitting.If it is only sliding around the rear or front of the tank I have to adjust it.If both front and rear are being hit the centers of the baffles are being hit too.I use the coarse black beauty sand,it is screened to about .018.It slithers around the baffles pretty good.I pick both wheels off the ground too,if I just pick up one the wheel tends to spin too fast,and sometimes slings all the sand to the ends without it getting a chance to slide back and forth.I found nuts,bolts,and any stone whatsoever tends to lodge in the corners of the baffle openings.Then another lodges against that,then another,and pretty soon the opening is plugged.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Why not fill the tank with molasses and let it set in the hot summer sun for a few days to a week. That sure does a good job of removing rust.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #27
txmerlin

Ok, pardon the newbie question. I have read this and the other gas tank threads multiple times as I am about to face that task myself. Why has no one reproduced the gas tanks. If not in steel, then aluminium. Seems that there are repro parts for most everything else and judging by the interest in these threads, there is a real need for good clean tanks.

Ken
Old 03-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmerlin View Post
Ok, pardon the newbie question. I have read this and the other gas tank threads multiple times as I am about to face that task myself. Why has no one reproduced the gas tanks. If not in steel, then aluminium. Seems that there are repro parts for most everything else and judging by the interest in these threads, there is a real need for good clean tanks.
Ken
Ken, no need to pardon yourself with that question. I think the best "tongue in cheek" answer is we have been waiting all this time for you to step up and start reproducing them. I know I would be good for purchasing about a dozen a year from you!! Very likely in this venture you could make a small fortune, ..............out of a large fortune!

The non-sarcastic answer is there are about 4 different tanks that would need to be manufactured, and the tooling costs and set-up would likely be cost prohibitive.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #29
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Ken, no need to pardon yourself with that question. I think the best "tongue in cheek" answer is we have been waiting all this time for you to step up and start reproducing them. I know I would be good for purchasing about a dozen a year from you!! Very likely in this venture you could make a small fortune, ..............out of a large fortune!

The non-sarcastic answer is there are about 4 different tanks that would need to be manufactured, and the tooling costs and set-up would likely be cost prohibitive.
*Exclusive offer*
If anyone wants into the IPO, I'd like to market a "universal" Model A tank.
No need for 4 different models, this will be close enough to sorta fit everything or nothing (not an issue) featuring large gaps & our new exclusive thread pitch for fittings and screws.
... the beauty of this design from an investment standpoint is I can source the cheapest labour (which is becoming you & me) while being protected from recalls as long as it's labeled REPRODUCTION
*Bonus can of tank sealer for the first 20 orders
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #30
Cool Hand Lurker

Can't use aluminum or fiberglass because ethanol attacks it, but maybe "Tanks, Inc" could reproduce them in plastic. But then that wouldn't be "metal"..... shudder!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #31
'29wagon

plastic !
beyond coating .
why couldn't a reproduction tank be made , like the red plastic jerry cans of today's standards . an insert . sure you'd need to separate it and remove the existing baffles but couldn't a liner be made to drop right in then reassemble it with the help of a guy like brent who has the jigs to square it back up .
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #32
Cool Hand Lurker

I just checked the website for Tanks, Inc. and they do offer a polyethylene tank for the Model A but whether it is original design or not it does not say. That would take a phone call to them. Their website is http://www.tanksinc.com/ if anybody is interested.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #33
1931 flamingo

'29wagon: If you're going to go to the trouble to open it up, why not just do what brent does? Then it's "original", fixed and will fit when reinstalled. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #34
Minn-Tex Lee

Default Re: Gas tank cleaning Try Ice

Camper and RV people dump ice in their holding tanks and as they drive down the road the ice breaks up any solids and then melts.
Might be worth a try.
Lee
Minn-Tex Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #35
1931 flamingo

Minn-Tex Lee: I don't remember any baffles in holding tank(s) on my prowler. Different animal than a gas tank I think. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #36
'29wagon

good point paul ,
and that tanks inc is an under body tank , no thanks .
Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #37
BRENT in 10-uh-C

To comment on some of the above dialogue, IMHO there are plenty of Model A tanks to go around for each Model A being restored including those to be done in the future however most of them either need to be, --or will need to be "de-rusted" on the inside. I would imagine that the price of a new Model A reproduction gas tank would be very close to $1,000.00 each by the time all the stamping dies were made for all the pieces, new brackets cast, and all of the assembly and coating were completed. Based on what I know about this hobby/industry, the likelihood of folks standing impatiently in line to purchase one of them would probably not be too great!

The current way we are opening them up and cleaning them is a very satisfactory way IMHO however the only thing that keeps me from offering a lifetime warranty on our tank restorations is finding a suitable coating process that will stand-up to that kind of warranty. No one in that coating industry wants to step-up and commit to withstanding a fuel that might be used a decade or two down the road.

/

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #38
barron

Brent, when you have a tank opened up, have you considered having it zinc plated?
barron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #39
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Another reason why Model A tanks are not being reproduced is because of the "LIABILITY" issue...one malfunction on a reproduction tank and...well, I sure would hate to be going down that road if you know what I mean!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #40
'29wagon

[QUOTE=Steve Plucker;180954]Another reason why Model A tanks are not being reproduced is because of the "LIABILITY" issue..

which is another reason that i suggest someone with the right understanding of the mold injection process, or the make up of the yard fuel can . i've got a couple of five galloners for my willys jeep , red plastic . i suggest a mold to fit , with it's own similar baffles, fuel neck fits and lower exit hole tapped.

i'd pay a guy to put something like that in my tank and forget about ever coating it, or another one ever .

challenge, anyone ?