Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2022, 06:10 PM   #21
Gene F

Default Re: Need A LOT of help with Model A inheritance

Quote:
Originally Posted by The "A" Team View Post
Thanks for the great advice everyone!

Unfortunately, for the people who advised asking people from my father's old car club, the club disbanded probably over 10 - 15 years ago, and I don't have contact information for any of them.
Find your local chapter. https://model-a-ford.org/top-page-1/regions/ get in touch with them. Remember, you need more than 1 opinion. Model-Aers can be a very friendly resource. Just make sure you understand that some of the guys are 100% rip everything apart, and renew every single assembly to super start standards. Guys like that have close to $35,000 and 5 or 6 years in the restoration of their cars.

I have a very nice car, and it is reliable enough for long trips. However, I don't have $35,000 in my car either.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:09 PM   #22
shew01

Paul Shinn is also a good resource on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/user/paulshinn/videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:09 PM   #23
fordwife

I agree with Chris. That's a pretty decent looking A. Keep in mind that virtually every model a part ,except engine and running gear is available nowdays.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:46 PM   #24
wwirz

I would look for a Model A club in your area. Now here is a long shot......Many years ago I belonged to a car club called "Restored Rust Relics" out of Paramus NJ. The club had ( and I believe still has) a member who owns a Model A (at least since the 70s) by the name of Bill Weinheimer. Try to contact him by looking at the RRR Website. By this time he has forgotten more about Model As than we would know.
The MAFCA WEBSITE will also have listings of clubs in your area. The location for the NJ Chapter listing is: https://www.mafca.com/chapters/NJ.html
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:50 PM   #25
wwirz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
If you join the club your dad belonged to, someone might remember him and the car. You are in for a lot of fun. You are doing the right thing to keep the car in the family.
I went to school at Stevens in Hoboken. I was raised in Woodbury (exit 3)
I went to Stevens Tech also. Exit 172 on the GS Parkway.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:02 PM   #26
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
I have seen people start with way

It does take some funds to put a collector car together, and keep it roadworthy though. If it is just not your dream, maybe you should give it, or sell it very reasonably to a family member. I hate to say that, but it is the truth. Old car collecting is not for everyone John.
I'd be very careful about 'giving it, or selling it very reasonable to a family member'! Too often respect for/appreciation of an old car is tied to the price. If you give (or almost give) it away someone will come along, offer a high price for it and the family member sell out. Wave goodbye to your father's Model A! Or said family member may rip it apart and lose interest, or may lose the storage/work space and sell it. At least have an ironclad agreement that you have first dibs on getting it back.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:27 PM   #27
Gene F

You have a good point 40Deluxe. Something similar happened to me on a used car a few years ago.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:22 AM   #28
burner31

Since it's out of the weather...so to speak.
First thing to do is get some oil in the cylinders and let it sit a few days
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:16 AM   #29
Clem Clement

WWIRZ:
What years did you go to Stevens tech? I attended '55-'59.

Int the spring of '56, my Delt fraternity bro and I were walking down (8th street) from the fraternity house and next to the church at Washington Street. sat a '40MERC Fordor convertable sedan. It was a beater, and we knew nothing about 4-door converts. Bro Jack said why don't you buy that for a fraternity car??? I picked up a wet match book from the gutter and wrote an offer of $25 for the pile and placed the matchbook cover under the windshield wiper. 2 weeks later she was mine!!! We had to back it up the hill as there was no forward gears. Daddy came and we towed the 40MERC home. The summer of '56, I put a '49 Merc engine in the car and started working on the 40MERC.Daddy died August 22 of 1956 and the Merc went away. Summer of 2017, THAT same Merc came home again to me, fully restored and sleeps happily in my garage to this day, beside a '30 Model A cabby and a '39 pickup. I'm so lucky and happy.
clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:08 AM   #30
wwirz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
WWIRZ:
What years did you go to Stevens tech? I attended '55-'59.

Int the spring of '56, my Delt fraternity bro and I were walking down (8th street) from the fraternity house and next to the church at Washington Street. sat a '40MERC Fordor convertable sedan. It was a beater, and we knew nothing about 4-door converts. Bro Jack said why don't you buy that for a fraternity car??? I picked up a wet match book from the gutter and wrote an offer of $25 for the pile and placed the matchbook cover under the windshield wiper. 2 weeks later she was mine!!! We had to back it up the hill as there was no forward gears. Daddy came and we towed the 40MERC home. The summer of '56, I put a '49 Merc engine in the car and started working on the 40MERC.Daddy died August 22 of 1956 and the Merc went away. Summer of 2017, THAT same Merc came home again to me, fully restored and sleeps happily in my garage to this day, beside a '30 Model A cabby and a '39 pickup. I'm so lucky and happy.
clem
Went to SIT from '75-'79. I did drive my 1951 Plymouth to SIT once. It drew too much attention so I took the train in everyday as a commuting student. My Great Grandparents were married at that Church on Washington St. behind the athletic field.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:16 AM   #31
McMimmcs

Welcome to the Barn. I would suggest you seek out a local Model A club because in my opinion your going to need all the help you can get! It is not a small project for a person unfamiliar with restoration.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #32
The "A" Team

Wow, I didn't expect to get so many great helpful replies. It's actually making me feel less overwhelmed about the project.

I contacted both Model A car clubs here in Jersey and spoke with the president of the NJ chapter of the Model A Restorers Club (MARC). He invited me to come and meet some of the members and said they would stop by when it got warmer to look at what I got and tell me where to start (that'll give me a chance to find more of the parts in my father's garage).

I also bought The Les Andrews red book (actually I found a seller on ebay selling both the red and green books for the price of just the red book on a lot of other sites, so I grabbed them).

And just to clarify, I have no intention of selling or giving the car away. I've always loved the car since my father purchased it when I was a kid, and I can't wait to get it back on the road again. I also doubt I'll be entering it into any car shows, I just want to get it running and looking good to drive around town (plus my daughter is driving me crazy because she wants to ride in the rumble seat).
The "A" Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:49 PM   #33
Clem Clement

WWIRZ: I was a bit earlier than you at SIT. the church seemed big if I remember correctly.

I have no ideas about the past use of my 40MERC. At 16 years old, she was beat up badly. Weather and chemicals in the air were very hard on cars. By my junior year I was driving a '54 MERC convert. The tranny leaked and kept 1/2 of the bumper goey. In a coupe of months the clean side was showing corrosion.
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:00 PM   #34
The "A" Team

aaa

Last edited by The "A" Team; 01-23-2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:03 PM   #35
The "A" Team

aaaa
Old 01-23-2022, 09:03 PM   #36
The "A" Team

aaaaa
Old 01-23-2022, 09:04 PM   #37