Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2021, 09:59 PM   #1
brandon.dube

Default Rear Tail Lights and Turn Signal Kits (another Newbie question)

Hi Everyone - I'm sure these questions have been asked before (so I apologize in advance), but I wanted to get some feedback on the rear tail light situation and installing turn signals.

1) My 1930 Model A Fordor has only one tail right on the driver side. From my understanding, I think I can buy an after-market tea cup arm and light for the right side, right? I just need to drill some holes and install it on the right rear fender.

2) I'd liked add turn signals. My Model A has cowl lights. I've seen a lot of discussions about using the cowl lights as turn signals, and other discussions about just installing separate lights (Logo Lites?) on the front and rear. What are you thoughts and experiences with these two approaches?

3) Lastly, I think I'd like to have a turn signal switch mounted on the steering column. I've seen other controllers that hide below the dash or the seat, but those seem like a hassle if you're constantly having to fiddle around to hit the button.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
brandon.dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:28 PM   #2
bruceincam

Default Re: Rear Tail Lights and Turn Signal Kits (another Newbie question)

You are correct in that you can just order the bracket and light for the right side and install it. You can also buy "original style" wiring to tie in the new light so that it looks as if it came that way. All of the commonly mentioned suppliers can provide what you need.

I can't speak to using cowl lights as turn signals ---- don't have cowl lights. When I added my turn signals, I bought the "in between the bumper bars" lights for the front. I found them to be really dim so I upgraded to LED bulbs. That fixed them. My rear turn signals are my tail lights. My turn signal kit did not have me using that new wire that I bought to operate my right side tail light. I spent a few $ on that "original looking wire" that ended up being deleted. There are some things to "trip" over as you march on down the road to turn signals.

My reference comes from a 12V converted system so before you go spending lots on lights or turn signals, think that one through too. Parts will be different depending upon whether or not you're running 6V or 12V. So, if you're leaning in the 12V direction, do that one first.

Finally, I bought the turn signal kit that mounts the turn signal stalk on the steering column. Works fine but space is tight occasionally --- particularly with my window down. My hand always wants to bump the window regulator. I've forgotten the brand that I bought --- all of the vendors sell it. Last thought ----- it should be obvious that the turn signal lever doesn't return to neutral all on its own. You have to do that --- remembering to do so is the problem. I bought the simple $10 beeper that all the vendors sell to help me remember to return the stalk to neutral. Waste of money --- only worked reliably for a few days ---- mostly doesn't work now.

That's it for today's thoughts -------
bruceincam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:34 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Brandon, please do a search on turn signals. There are numerous threads and options on how to install and different configurations. Get as much info as you can before buying parts and installing.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 02:41 AM   #4
1930artdeco

This is what I did. I bought a repo tail light set up and modified a bracket and made a 'third' tail light. So I have the stock one and one that sits on top of my spare tire. People are used to seeing a light there so I have two lights instead of jut the one. People will think I have burned out right tail light if anything. And there is no drilling of a good fender.

Mike
Old 12-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
brokenspoke

The search function is your friend
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
nkaminar

Add the additional rear tail light to the right side. An easy tool is to take the original wiring diagram and then modify it with colored pencils to add the turn indicators. Then just follow your new wiring diagram to wire up the car. The turn indicators that mount on the steering wheel have to have the stop lights run through them. The indicators come with wiring diagrams. The stop lights double as the turn indicators in the rear so by running the stop light through them, when indicating a turn and braking, you will have one stop light on while the other one is blinking.

Using the cowl lights as turn indicators seems to work well for me but the parking light function is no longer available. If you need to have the hazard lights on, for instance when broken down on the side of the road, the cowl lights will flash like modern cars. I don't think anyone uses the parking lights anymore. If you want to maintain the parking light function for the cowl lights you will need to change out the sockets to allow double filament bulbs. You can change out the lenses to amber color or use amber colored bulbs, or just keep them white. Your choice. I use LED's in the cowl lights which are brighter and more easily seen by other drivers.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 12-21-2021 at 09:09 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #7
Conaway2

I was able to find two complete original tail lights & brackets on the auction site for about $25 each. If you’re willing to wait a bit, these show up fairly regularly.

I went with the LogoLites turn signal kit - very happy with it. No modifications required to the car, and the lights are bright and easily seen.

Good luck - Ji
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #8
gary678*

I have a 1930 Cabriolet with cowl lights and have a signal system that uses the cowl lights as signals. There are some that think that the cowl lights as signals are not as visible because of their location. My feeling is that since the Model A's are an unusual sight to see on the road that oncoming drivers become so focused on the sight of a Model A that they look at the entirety of the car, making the central location of the cowl directionals stand out (a big plus for visibility)! I have two tailights that are LED that really stand out when applied. On club rides several members that have driven directly behind me have remarked how well they stand out as opposed to the standard tailight(s). I have noticed on rides that when I follow an A with standard tailight(s) that they are sometimes difficult to see whether thay are engaged or not; especially on a sunny day with sunlight behind the car. I use a toggle switch that is mounted on shifter approximately 6" below the knob; it is neatly black taped to the column and is not noticiable. It is very convenient, is easy to use, and avoids the somewhat cumbersome and very obvious mount on the steering column. I do have a T5 transmission with a longer shifter. Lastly, I have 2 very small green LED lights that are mounted on the dash panel centered between the steering wheel spokes that indicate left and right. These are in the line of sight when driving and are a great aid. Although I have a nice car I am not a purist nor one who is interested in having a "points" car. All my decisions about car accessories are made with safety as the first priority. Good luck!
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:12 PM   #9
wwirz

I purchased a turn signal "logo lite" kit from Snyders. Many people in my club have this system. It is:
Very brite - motorists can see the signals
Easy to install - about 2 hours
No additional drilling required
Audible "chirp" when the lights are flashing
A safety improvement.

Well worth the money.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 02:37 PM   #10
Patrick L.

I prefer to keep things kinda original. So,
SignalStat, usually today its a 900 series
rear, standard light housings with LED inserts
front, standard cowls and parks with higher cp incandescent bulbs
flasher, 535 thermal
High mounted stop lite, standard rear tail light housing with lens that has STOP moulded in it leather strapped to the spare tire.

Its simple, easy and the lights are very bright.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #11
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I have the SignalStat 900 system using my cowl lights on my A. It is not difficult to install.

There is an easy way to duplicate the mounting position of the tail light on the right rear fender. Use a large piece of construction paper. Lay the construction paper on the left rear fender flush against the body. Find a reference point on the body/fender and mark it on the paper. You can tape in place. Cut the paper around the tail light base and tape the pieces to the piece against the body so that the three pieces are flush against the tail light triangle mounting plate. Now you have a template. Take the template and turn it over. Place it on the rear right fender using the reference point. You will have an open triangle on the fender. Place a tail light gasket in the open triangle. Center punch the three holes and drill. Good Luck!
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote