Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Source of ceramic or carbon rod

I received a PM from a Barner about where to get these rods (used to weld holes back to correct size that have been egged out). Unfortunately the user has designated that he does not wish to receive emails, so I have no other way to contact him but to post the info here. This is actually the second time I have received a PM for advice and the user has indicated he wants no emails. Go figure.

Both are available from McMaster-Carr ( a good source for tons of seemingly oddball stuff), but the carbon rod is more expensive.

Go here:
mcmaster.com
search for:
standard ceramic rods
Choose:
Alumina Silicate Ceramic
and then select the diameter you need.

Generally you can re-use these rods, but if worse comes to worse you just break it out with a small punch and a small hammer. You will still need to dress the hole somewhat with a die grinder or possibly a reamer. 6013 stick welding can be reamed but most MIG wire cannot be. I use a 70,000 # MIG wire that can be reamed but that is a whole separate issue (the brand name is Easy-Grind)

You can also use copper rod, which they also carry, which is a bit cheaper.
You basically want something weld will not stick to and which will not melt. You cannot use brass, it will sputter and melt and make an awful mess. Aluminum will melt.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Source of ceramic or carbon rod

copper works very well. the welders use copper paddles daily to keep the weld puddle from running out of the V groove. if they stick a slight twist or pry will free them with a nice flat cooled weld puddle.

if its good enough for one of the big yellow track type tractor companies its good enough for your personal projects.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: Source of ceramic or carbon rod

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If he does not want to receive e-mails, then send him a PM like he sent you. I am one that does not want to be sent e-mails. This is mainly to protect my computer that really can't handle another virus attack. Rod