Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Logan

I have extensive experience with motors and those bearings, while not horrible, are not good for only 1500 miles. I have a '47 Stude M5 with 64K miles that I pulled the caps on to do a bearing check and they looked brand new.
Miles can vouch for that.
The pistons and cyl walls are trashed. Period. No matter what anyone thinks about the bearings.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Logan

I don't know why the other engine update thread was closed, but I was wondering if there is a better picture of the crankshaft and weights, as I thought the weight by the flywheel looked a bit odd?

I can think of at least 4 reasons for the pistons to be scored, but would like to know which one fits this engine.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Tom, why not share your experience of those 4 reasons with all of us; any one of us might learn something
Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Joe K

The original participants on this thread (including me) have been having a little side discussion via p.m. since the closure.

We're not really sure and not to reveal incorrectly but we thought that it might have been due to er, "legal" ramifications that might occur between the two parties.

Libel and Defamation can occur - and it can affect one's business standing - and it might be cause enough on a public forum to cause one or the other party to see legal redress.

This our thought for the closing. Not sure who that was.

Anyway, it was an INTERESTING failure. Most profound.

Joe K
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Legal mumbo-jumbo cannot override what those pix reveal. They speak for themselves. The legal phrase here is Res ipsa loquitur

no further words are needed. He can publish the pics in the NY Times if he wants.

so you legal boys can go back to sleep, no overpriced fees goin' on here

it also looks like the thread is re-opened
Old 06-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
Tom, why not share your experience of those 4 reasons with all of us; any one of us might learn something
I didn't want to lead the witness.

I worked on my friend's engine a couple years ago and his pistons looked just like these after driving 4 miles with the engine pinging due to too much spark advance.

Overheating can cause galling
An engine built with too little piston clearance
Lack of lubrication

That's the 4 that come to mind.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
tbirdtbird
BANNED

wonder if the scuppers faced the correct direction....
Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I didn't want to lead the witness.

I worked on my friend's engine a couple years ago and his pistons looked just like these after driving 4 miles with the engine pinging due to too much spark advance.

Overheating can cause galling
An engine built with too little piston clearance
Lack of lubrication

That's the 4 that come to mind.
I can tell you two of those can be ruled out in this case. The engine was running 170* when this happened, and I had just changed the oil before we left, and checked it when we stopped. It was still full. I would put money on the clearance not being enough because this happened with the same piston last time.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Joe K

What use for oil?

Joe K
Old 06-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
What use for oil?

Joe K
valvoline
Old 06-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #11
Joe K

What weight?

Joe K
Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I don't know why the other engine update thread was closed, but I was wondering if there is a better picture of the crankshaft and weights, as I thought the weight by the flywheel looked a bit odd?

I can think of at least 4 reasons for the pistons to be scored, but would like to know which one fits this engine.
I believe Logan closed the thread because he got his toes stepped on and didn't get the sympathy he looked for. After this thread opened he had second thoughts and re-opened the other one. The admins would not do this, when a thread is closed by Ryan or Cobb, it stays CLOSED. All I know is if you can't stand the heat, don't go in the kitchen.

I can tell what happened to his motor but prefer to keep that to myself because I don't want to get into a pissing match with anyone. I just know the clearances were correct in that engine and I mean pistons and wrist pins.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
wonder if the scuppers faced the correct direction....

What is a "scupper"?

/

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 06-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
What is a "scupper"?

/
Perhaps he means the dipper extensions to the rod caps that promote oil flow into the rod bearing - and throw it better around inside the crank case?

These would not be of large importance to a pressurized engine - but I'm not sure of complete pressurization on this one.

There is an even better name for these but my receding from consciousness mind can't pull it up right now.

Joe K
Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
Logan

[QUOTE=James Rogers;676087]I believe Logan closed the thread because he got his toes stepped on and didn't get the sympathy he looked for. After this thread opened he had second thoughts and re-opened the other one. The admins would not do this, when a thread is closed by Ryan or Cobb, it stays CLOSED. All I know is if you can't stand the heat, don't go in the kitchen.

I can tell what happened to his motor but prefer to keep that to myself because I don't want to get into a pissing match with anyone. I just know the clearances were correct in that engine and I mean pistons and wrist pins.[/]

Well you're wrong, because I didn't close or re-open any thread. I didn't even know that was possible for someone other than the admin To do so. I'm not looking for sympathy, I just don't want anyone else to get screwed by this jerk.

Someone else asked what oil. It was valvoline 10w-30. I can't think of which sub-brand of valvoline though. It was in a white a blue bottle I know that.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I'm not looking for sympathy, I just don't want anyone else to get screwed by this jerk.

Logan, please understand that I am NOT siding with Taylor, --nor am I necessarily siding with you in this simply because I do not know all the facts. I DO however sympathize 110% with you simply because no one likes someone such as yourself to endure unnecessary turmoil or stress in their life.

With that said, the thing that DOES bother me in this entire situation or series of threads is that I feel you are sincerely trying to retaliate against this vendor by offering this information in a public format as a method to possibly bring harm to Taylor or his reputation. Why this is bothersome is I see it as an unfair fight since Taylor does not participate here. Also, it is very easy to overlook a key detail that would give an accurate clue as to what really happened and caused a failure. The ONLY people that truly know what happened in this entire situation is Logan Douglass and James Taylor, ....period.

Now I realize you are feeling betrayed in your dealings with Taylor however You, -nor any of us know whether this type incident or service has ever happened to anyone else before, ...nor do any of us know for a fact this will happen again. By you openly stating "you don't want anyone else to be screwed by this jerk" I feel you are stating an incriminating opinion as most of us would prudently agree that none of us know for certain if this situation will ever happen again. These type threads take on a demeanor where readers quickly form very biased opinions based on what they read that often times are not accurate or factual based. This is grossly unfair for the parties involved, ...AND is grossly unfair for the hobby as a whole. Intelligent Men can make intelligent decisions when they know all the facts!

The 2nd parts of why I feel this is wrong is if you really wanted to substantiate your complaints against Mr. Taylor or his engines, in all fairness to yourself, Mr. Taylor, all of us as readers, and any potential client of Mr. Taylor, you should have arranged for this engine to be disassembled & inspected by a 3rd party who is/was unbiased and validated as an expert witness (someone who is a professional engine builder familiar with Model-A engines), ...and then invited Mr. Taylor to be there to oversee that 3rd party's findings. That way the facts could have been known by everyone without the possibility of accusations of the evidence being tainted. As it is right now, there is still He said/She said opinions being passed around which I do not see as productive.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
Jordan

Quote:
Logan, please understand that I am NOT siding with Taylor, --nor am I necessarily siding with you in this simply because I do not know all the facts. I DO however sympathize 110% with you simply because no one likes someone such as yourself to endure unnecessary turmoil or stress in their life.

With that said, the thing that DOES bother me in this entire situation or series of threads is that I feel you are sincerely trying to retaliate against this vendor by offering this information in a public format as a method to possibly bring harm to Taylor or his reputation. Why this is bothersome is I see it as an unfair fight since Taylor does not participate here. Also, it is very easy to overlook a key detail that would give an accurate clue as to what really happened and caused a failure. The ONLY people that truly know what happened in this entire situation is Logan Douglass and James Taylor, ....period.

Now I realize you are feeling betrayed in your dealings with Taylor however You, -nor any of us know whether this type incident or service has ever happened to anyone else before, ...nor do any of us know for a fact this will happen again. By you openly stating "you don't want anyone else to be screwed by this jerk" I feel you are stating an incriminating opinion as most of us would prudently agree that none of us know for certain if this situation will ever happen again. These type threads take on a demeanor where readers quickly form very biased opinions based on what they read that often times are not accurate or factual based. This is grossly unfair for the parties involved, ...AND is grossly unfair for the hobby as a whole. Intelligent Men can make intelligent decisions when they know all the facts!

The 2nd parts of why I feel this is wrong is if you really wanted to substantiate your complaints against Mr. Taylor or his engines, in all fairness to yourself, Mr. Taylor, all of us as readers, and any potential client of Mr. Taylor, you should have arranged for this engine to be disassembled & inspected by a 3rd party who is/was unbiased and validated as an expert witness (someone who is a professional engine builder familiar with Model-A engines), ...and then invited Mr. Taylor to be there to oversee that 3rd party's findings. That way the facts could have been known by everyone without the possibility of accusations of the evidence being tainted. As it is right now, there is still He said/She said opinions being passed around which I do not see as productive.

Brent,
Do you really think it matters who takes apart the engine? Besides, even if Taylor was invited to look at the evidence, I can tell you right now he wouldn't come. He's just not that kind of person. If he's not getting $$ than he's not interested in helping out. As for the "he said she said" that's all this will ever be; because there was no camcorder during the encounters a year ago. There would be no benefit to making up a story like this; much less it would be hard to make up a horror story like this. Nothing is going to ever happen perfectly, or in ways that everyone can be proven right. At some point, you just have to trust people in what they say.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Brent,
Do you really think it matters who takes apart the engine? Besides, even if Taylor was invited to look at the evidence, I can tell you right now he wouldn't come. He's just not that kind of person. If he's not getting $$ than he's not interested in helping out. As for the "he said she said" that's all this will ever be; because there was no camcorder during the encounters a year ago. There would be no benefit to making up a story like this; much less it would be hard to make up a horror story like this. Nothing is going to ever happen perfectly, or in ways that everyone can be proven right. At some point, you just have to trust people in what they say.
You make valid points. Here are some back...

* If Taylor does not show for the meeting, then he does not have any leg to stand on and must accept whatever decision is made. If he failed to show for a meeting such as this without just reasoning, this just lends credibility to Logan's testimony.

* The He said/She said is just opinions unless someone experienced is there to corroborate what was found. Making libelous statements based on He said/She said comments is NOT a good thing, ...both ethically and legally.

* I think many could suggest possible motives for someone making up stories or skewing the facts. I am NOT suggesting that anyone has done this but the potential in the way this is being handled publicly on this forum could easily be construed as such in my view.

So I revert back to my original question. Why the apparent need to vent or retaliate publicly against Taylor-Made engines? The business relationship or dealings between Logan & Taylor really has nothing to do with any of us, ...therefore none of us should have needed to read this publicly or be involved in any manner since none of us were there to witness what actually transpired. A point that was made to me in a PM was How do we even know there was ever any warranty given on this engine? After thinking about that for a moment, we don't. Can Logan produce a copy of the original invoice or a written copy of the warranty for that particular engine?

Maybe this was a special circumstance deal, -or there was a reason why there was not one. Not all engine builders give warranties. Most race engine builders do not offer any type of warranty on an engine that has been uniquely modified. Again, we do not know the business transaction between these two.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 06-24-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
Jordan

Quote:
You make valid points. Here are some back...

So I revert back to my original question. Why the apparent need to vent or retaliate publicly against Taylor-Made engines? The business relationship or dealings between Logan & Taylor really has nothing to do with any of us, ...therefore none of us should have needed to read this publicly or be involved in any manner since none of us were there to witness what actually transpired. A point that was made to me in a PM was How do we even know there was ever any warranty given on this engine? After thinking about that for a moment, we don't. Can Logan produce a copy of the original invoice or a written copy of the warranty for that particular engine?

Maybe this was a special circumstance deal, -or there was a reason why there was not one. Not all engine builders give warranties. Most race engine builders do not offer any type of warranty on an engine that has been uniquely modified. Again, we do not know the business transaction between these two.
If you don't want to read it than move along Brent. Nobody is forcing you to read every thread and them write a long post with your rebuttal to everything that is commented. I enjoy reading your posts, but sometimes you just go in a big circle. People have posted here time and time again when they have a problem with a vendor, or a certain part from a manufacturer. This is the same type of situation, just a lot more expensive. Move on if you don't like reading it.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #20
ctlikon0712

Quote:
What is a "scupper"?

Though not used correctly in this instance here is basically what a scupper can be.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scupper
We used and made what we called scuppers out of tape and sheet plastic at the space center when we did drilling or debris type operations in a white or clean room area to catch or divert FOD away from an sensitive area.
Closed Thread