Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Matt L

Default Installing Wood kit

I have a 30 murry body fordor that i am going to put a wood kit in. I was wanting to know how and some tricks to make it easier? Is there a book for the fordors that covers wood kits for murry bodies. Or anybody around southern IL that's in the middle of one that would let a guy come take a look at how it's done or some pictures would be a big help. Thanks
Matt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Installing Wood kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I have a 30 murry body fordor that i am going to put a wood kit in. I was wanting to know how and some tricks to make it easier? Is there a book for the fordors that covers wood kits for murry bodies. Or anybody around southern IL that's in the middle of one that would let a guy come take a look at how it's done or some pictures would be a big help. Thanks
No books, sorry. The web site fordwood.com has drawings. Contact Brent as he had pictures of wood installation from his restorations.

As stated take your time, compare the old wood to the new, keeping the old until everything is put together.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
Arlen

I just replaced most of the wood in a Murray four door and it wasn't near as bad as people make it sound. I built up a lot of the wood outside of the car first just to figure out how it all goes. The key is putting it in in the correct order. Also remember that most of it never shows so don't worry about making it pretty. If some of the wood was originally rivited together or bolted together, who cares. It doesn't show so make up your own way of securing it all. I think there's a debate over this but I used wood glue between the pieces as well.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:09 AM   #4
Arlen

Oh and take lots of pictures of the original wood before you take it out. There's a lot of pieces and easy to forget how it all goes back in. Bought our wood kit from classic wood but have bought from ford wood as well and both companies make nice kits.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 coupe View Post
You will need a belt sander and a dremmel tool to make things fit. Just take your time and you will be OK. Make all your bolt holes slightly oversize, you will need wiggle room to get the bolts in.

A big yes to the above and all the responses are spot on. Last summer I and some friends replaced every bit of wood in a 1930 Briggs (they still speak to be but they cross the street quickly when they see me coming).

You cant take enough pictures of the existing wood. If you have 100 pictures, look at them carefully; if they arent perfect take 200. Dismantle carefully, no breaking or rippping. Dont throw anything away - nothing, nada, nothing. There are metal pieces all over that you'll need. I'm assuming you are replacing the chassis wood too. We layed out the new chassis wood on top of the existing frame and it's wood which saved lots of time.

It was hot is down here last summer, not suprisingly, and I thought the two of us that are ancient wouldnt last.

The wood comes in a kit but you'll swear that the kit makers dont know a thing about Model A's or wood working. You will be using that belt sander. Good Luck.

Last edited by Skibb; 05-20-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Drilling the holes with a little wiggle room is very important. Just don't get overwhelmed and take your time.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
Terry,NJ

Look in my profile. I posted a lot of pics, Only mine's a Briggs. It's a "Fun" job! From what I heard, Classic wood is the best. I gave the pcs two coats of urethane and one coat of black paint. Good luck!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
MichaelSchwarzer

Hi Matt,
we made all the wood in a briggs and took a lot of pictures. It was like an archeological survey. May be the link helps: http://www.fordmodela.com/restoration/body/.

Greetings, Michael
Old 05-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Skibb

Michael, that's a wonderful story of your restoration. Good job.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
MichaelSchwarzer

Skibb, thank you!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
Matt L

Thanks for all the advise I would have loved to take a million pictures but I got the car from my grandfather in law and he had taken most of the wood out so I guess I will order a kit and start the puzzle and Hope for the best!!!!
Matt L is offline   Reply With Quote