Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #21
MikeK

Default Re: Logan

On a piston a scupper is a drain relief for the oil control ring assembly. It may be a series of holes through the land into the interior of the piston. In the case of slipper design pistons with flattened, reduced sides adjacent to the pin bosses, the scupper (drains for the oil ring) are sometimes directed into this area rather than the piston interior. I doubt that is what the OP of "scupper" was referring to, but that's what a scupper on a piston is.

As far as having a qualified third party disassemble it, yes, it does matter. I've already heard plenty of gobbledygook speculating here, especially about the discoloring of the rod small ends, which is NORMAL when installing chevy style pins. I'd be concerned if the pins were installed without heating the rod small ends. You heat the ends to ~ 600-700F so the cold pins can be tapped in without excessive force.

If you dry-ice the pins they just drop through the piston and the hot con-rod with no hammering. Some driving with a proper tool that does not touch the piston pin bore is normal. Was there inspection of the ends of the pins for evidence of excessive assembly force on the tight one?

What measurements were taken during disassembly? Were the pistons measured for diameter and requisite eccentricity? Were the bores measured for concentricity and taper? Have all the ring end-gaps been measured? There may have been nothing wrong at all with that part of the build. Factors under operator control may have caused the piston expansion and seizing.

On the positive side, looking at the pictures it does not appear the lock-up froze the rings in their lands, and it also appears the rings kept the aluminum buildup confined to the area below the ring travel. When that happens there is usually no real damage to the cylinder walls, they clean up easily for new pistons and rings. When the rings lock up is when you get wall damage.

I built plenty of SBC (gasp!) track motors in the 70's and a build that ran fine all season could lock pistons like yours in one lap with an intake leak (lean cyl), a carb jet or an ignition timing change. OOPs!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
If you don't want to read it than move along Brent. Nobody is forcing you to read every thread and them write a long post with your rebuttal to everything that is commented. I enjoy reading your posts, but sometimes you just go in a big circle. People have posted here time and time again when they have a problem with a vendor, or a certain part from a manufacturer. This is the same type of situation, just a lot more expensive. Move on if you don't like reading it.
Anybody ever tell you that you are an arrogant little ass? If not here it is.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
If you don't want to read it than move along Brent. Nobody is forcing you to read every thread and them write a long post with your rebuttal to everything that is commented. I enjoy reading your posts, but sometimes you just go in a big circle. People have posted here time and time again when they have a problem with a vendor, or a certain part from a manufacturer. This is the same type of situation, just a lot more expensive. Move on if you don't like reading it.
Logan, Jordan, if you guys manage to torque off Brent Terry, and run him off like Bill and Buster T did to Marco so that he doesn't post anymore, heaven help us all

If that happens I'll have to delete Fordbarn from my Favorites list and quit reading it, as there won't be much here worthwhile to read anymore...........

Stop,,,,,, please.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I'm OK guys. It will be OK for all concerned when enough time has passed.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #25
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff/illinois View Post
logan, jordan, if you guys manage to torque off brent terry, and run him off like bill and buster t did to marco so that he doesn't post anymore, heaven help us all

if that happens i'll have to delete fordbarn from my favorites list and quit reading it, as there won't be much here worthwhile to read anymore...........

stop,,,,,, please.
lets get one thing straight>> bill did not run off marco>>>
i think you should delete this like you did your other 900 posts you used to have

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 06-24-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
jkcrosson

I suspect this thread will soon be closed by Ryan.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #27
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Hay Roy, how many times have I heard you and THE NOSE wining about name calling.

Does this mean the rules have changed, "OH BOY"!!!!!!!

I have always wanted to use the word Bozo!!!!!! So here go's.

What you two Bozo's done was flap your lips, to wear Logan had to defend him self from posts that were a waste of the space they were writen on.

You two are always riding each other's wagon any way.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #28
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Logan, Jordan, if you guys manage to torque off Brent Terry, and run him off like Bill and Buster T did to Marco so that he doesn't post anymore, heaven help us all

If that happens I'll have to delete Fordbarn from my Favorites list and quit reading it, as there won't be much here worthwhile to read anymore...........

Stop,,,,,, please.
if you would delete fordbarn from your computer you wont see me crying. as a matter of fact i might throw a party

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 06-24-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Anybody ever tell you that you are an arrogant little ass? If not here it is.
And I would say you are more immature than my 5 year old for saying that... Your "contribution" that you just made to this thread does nothing positive at all. Time to grow up some and act like an adult... That's the problem with the internet...people spout off and say things they wouldn't have the guts to say to someones face in real life. Everyone is an adult here, we need to be acting like it. How many times are we going to let Ryan get upset and have to yell? None of it is necessary.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #30
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
if you would delete fordbarn from your computer you wont see me crying. as a matter of fact i might throw a party
Check your PM we'll take this up there not here.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #31
Mitch//pa
BANNED

whats wrong jeff are you done pm'ing i am just getting started
Old 06-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
Ryan
Administrator

Jesus god... Some of you fellas need to find another website... Cuz you won't be on this one much longer.

I don't host name calling, drama, crap... Take it elsewhere!
Closed Thread