Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2021, 05:41 PM   #1
psimet

Default 28 battery box

I searched and can't find any threads on this so I apologize if it's been covered a lot already.

I still have the original "battery box" on my '28. It was rusted through at one point in the past and my uncle must have bolted a really thick piece of steel angle to it to support it. "Works" but I cant figure out for the life of me how the battery was held in.

So I ordered up one of the replacement ones form one of the parts houses. I also ordered up a set of the "corners". The replacement came and has one hole on each end for mounting and then another hole on one of the tabs.

My original has 4 bolts holding it to the frame - 2 on each side. Then it has a rusted bolt sticking up in the air which I assume was for some sort of hold down.

I don't see how this reproduction part is supposed to bolt in. Also the little corner style hold downs - I found a rusted one in the car. The two I got say they're for the later cars.

I also found a plate with 2 spring clips on the back. It was just in the car. A look at Model A Medic shows it's apparently "Battery cover".

So - does anyone know if this battery box will fit into my '28? If so does anyone have pictures of how it should go in and look? Also how are batteries being held in? I just can't make enough sense out of what I have to just get this done.

....and where do I put this "battery cover" and how does it clip on to whatever it's supposed to clip on to?

I can take pictures later if needed.
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
psimet

Default Re: 28 battery box

Tapatalk requires only 1 photo per post so sorry. Here’s what’s in there.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
psimet

This is the replacement I got and the replacement hold down clamps. The clamps say 30-32 but they appear to match my rusted out one I found in the car on the left. Also that cover with the spring clips is on the left.

Anyone? How does this all go together and am I really just mounting with one hole where my current box uses 2 bolts on each side??

Old 06-16-2021, 09:54 PM   #4
marc silva

My nov 28 uses the full rectangle battery hold down. If you are looking for accuracy I would check the date on the drivers side gas tank to determine what top mount you need
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:31 PM   #5
700rpm

You’re close to OK. I have used the replacement box on 28s without problems. They all are prone to rustout because of spilled battery acid and road moisture.

If I remember right (it’s been a while, I’m old, and the memory is weak), the box is bolted diagonally, one corner at the frame and one corner on the crossmember. It is designed and proportioned for (and only for) a group 1 six volt battery. The original ‘28 setup was the battery was held down with two corner brackets similar to those shown in your picture. Later a full four sided frame was used and bolted at the same diagonal corners, and that is most commonly available and currently used. Don’t neglect these top bolt-down items, whichever you have. They keep the battery firmly in place, which helps minimize acid splashing out.

I hope I have most of this right and haven’t steered you wrong.

You’re fortunate to have an original 28 battery cover. It fits snugly with those spring shaped things into a corresponding oval cut into your floorboard for battery inspection beneath the driver. Are your floorboards also original, that is, solid wood with original support bars underneath? These original items are hard to find and worth keeping and restoring. It would be worth your while to buy the MAFCA/MARC Restoration Guide and Judging Standards, even if you never plan to be judged. They will answer many of your questions and save you a lot of confusion, misunderstanding, heartache, and money. Trust me on this.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 06-17-2021 at 12:00 AM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:46 PM   #6
stevemclark

Try this one. .https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/M5151A.html.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:53 PM   #7
w.michael

The battery cover with the spring clips covers the hole in the floor board which gives access to the battery to check the water level. You have the correct long narrow style for the 1928 car. Later cars had a shorter, wider cover. For reference, look at Snyder's part number A-35150-A and A-35150-B.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:03 AM   #8
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemclark View Post
Mike’s has good stuff, but you don’t need the disconnect cable (+$12.50) to install a battery box unless you have a disconnect switch. From your photo it looks like you have everything you need.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #9
psimet

I’m still not seeing how to mount the reproduction battery box. I have 3 holes on both ends of my original one. The reproduction has 2 on one side and 1 on the other.

I can’t find any photo anywhere on the reproduction boxes actually mounted in the car to tell how they’re affixed. I don’t want to pull my current one and mess around with it until I know how it’s going in or I’ll just leave my current one. I’m fine with whatever was original in terms of the clamps but I have 2 different ones in the car (look at the top of the picture and you can see a wedge style clamp on a post on the box). I just don’t see how all this goes together.

As for the cables and what not I have replacements already in hand for the starter and grounding cable. Just need to figure out how to put it all in.

Any pictures or descriptions would help. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #10
Bob C

Here are some pictures of a later battery box with two bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0109.jpg (37.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0110.jpg (51.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0111.jpg (40.3 KB, 38 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:06 PM   #11
Bob C

More pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0112.jpg (47.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0113.jpg (45.2 KB, 32 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:20 PM   #12
Gary Karr

I would recommend that you take the original battery support assembly , remove what is left of the lower flat tray, buy a new flat tray with a single drain hole in the center, and have someone spot weld it in as it was originally designed. Your side supports and forged mounting brackets look to be in usable shape. You will then use two head studs that thread into the top holes. They will hold the two small forged battery hold downs as pictured in the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards on 4-9, revised 2011.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:52 PM   #13
Stew Masche

On your new battery support, the end with two holes goes to on top of the frame side rail. The hole farthest out lines up with the hole in the side rail . Put a short bolt through the hole, fasten with a lock washer and nut.
The other end goes on top of the crossmember. Line up the holes. Take the piece of threaded rod, and put through those holes. On the bottom end, put a lock washer, and nut, flush with the bottom of the rod. Put another lock washer and nut on the rod from the top, and run it down to the battery support. Tighten those nuts against each other, and the back of the bracket is fastened.
In the other hole in the front end of the support, put the other threaded rod on in the same manner as you did the back rod, only, put it through the hole on the battery support only.
Put your battery in, put the hold down corners over the threaded rods, and fasten with a lock washer and nut.
Attach your cables, and the job is done!!

Best of luck !!!

Last edited by Stew Masche; 06-17-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Stew Masche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:19 PM   #14
psimet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
I would recommend that you take the original battery support assembly , remove what is left of the lower flat tray, buy a new flat tray with a single drain hole in the center, and have someone spot weld it in as it was originally designed. Your side supports and forged mounting brackets look to be in usable shape. You will then use two head studs that thread into the top holes. They will hold the two small forged battery hold downs as pictured in the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards on 4-9, revised 2011.

I missed that in the standards. It’s interesting now reading it that is says my forged bracket was stopped in August. My car is a mid September ‘28 or late September car and definitely has this forged one with 2 mounting holes. Also has the forged steel clamp so the standards are wrong there. My car also has a lot of other features that were supposed to be gone by September leading me to believe it was assembled in a plant that wasn’t exactly the busiest.

I just don’t see this stamped one going in without having to drill new holes which I am not doing. The one I have is rusted through in one spot but my uncle fixed it at some point with a steel or iron L bracket welded to the outside of it.

Looks like I have a pile of parts and still no way to put my battery in my car.

Thank you for the reference on the standard section. I would have looked right over it 20 times without seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2021, 09:04 AM   #15
WTSHNN

I'd say go with what Gary said and weld in a new bottom plate.

Otherwise, check with Berts in Colorado (www.modelastore.com) give them a call or shoot them an email. They probably have one.

I got mine off of the swap meet section here about four years ago so check those out as well.

There are pieces of one on ebay right now but the whole bottom part is rotted away.

-Tim
Old 06-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #16
Gary Karr

Quoted from above:
"I missed that in the standards. It’s interesting now reading it that is says my forged bracket was stopped in August. My car is a mid September ‘28 or late September car and definitely has this forged one with 2 mounting holes. Also has the forged steel clamp so the standards are wrong there. My car also has a lot of other features that were supposed to be gone by September leading me to believe it was assembled in a plant that wasn’t exactly the busiest."

Actually, the RG&JS are correct. Please remember that depending on which plant your car was assembled in, they could have been installing obsoleted parts for up to 60 days after the new replacement parts came out.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #17
psimet

Just to close this out - Found the correct replacement box. Bert's in Colorado had it. It's fabulous and just what I needed.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:01 PM   #18
psimet

Sorry my picture link didn’t work