Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
rocket1

Default Idle problem solved

After getting the low compression problem solved The engine still would not idle,when you came to a stop it would want to die.I had downloaded Tom Endy's directions on cleaning the passage ways in the Zenith carb with a paper clip.I followed the directions and blew out the areas cleaned with a pressure hose,it was unbelievable the amount of debris that came out,I suspect one was almost totally blocked.I installed all original numbered jet and new style float valve,mounted it on the manifold and it flooded.I adjusted the float and it still flooded,if you blew into the gas inlet and lifted the float it would cut off the air flow,in desperation I installed the original type float valve and it worked perfectly.I now have a good idle and good top end.Has any body had problems with the new float valves?
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Idle problem solved

I had problems a number of years ago with the new Viton tip float valves I got from Bratton's Antique Auto. They would not hold. I took them apart and found them full of brass machining chips. Once I cleaned them out they worked great. I spoke to Walt Bratton about it and he took action with his supplier. The next batch I got were better, but still had some debris in them. Walt is at the mercy of his supplier. Since then I take them all apart and check them for debris.

They come apart easy, just pry out the plastic washer that retains the valve. Use a light and a magnifying glass. Make sure there are no brass chips imbedded in the Viton tip.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Anteek29

Exclamation Re: Idle problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
I had problems a number of years ago with the new Viton tip float valves I got from Bratton's Antique Auto. They would not hold. I took them apart and found them full of brass machining chips. Once I cleaned them out they worked great. I spoke to Walt Bratton about it and he took action with his supplier. The next batch I got were better, but still had some debris in them. Walt is at the mercy of his supplier. Since then I take them all apart and check them for debris.

They come apart easy, just pry out the plastic washer that retains the valve. Use a light and a magnifying glass. Make sure there are no brass chips imbedded in the Viton tip.

Tom Endy

I experienced the same issue with machining chips in those float valves.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote