Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #41
mercman from oz

Default Re: History of Ford in Australia

Here are the last Pages of the Booklet that Ford Australia issued to buyers of new 1933/1934 Fords so that they could give the car the proper maintenance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B9.jpg (79.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg B10.jpg (66.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg B11.jpg (66.6 KB, 42 views)
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #42
DavidG

Neat pamphlet for DIY door adjustment. The dealers must have wondered why this was given to the customers as they would likely end up with having to unscramble the omelet of owners taking matters into their own hands.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #43
Old Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
Old Col, I think that you Post is in reference to Hamer Auto's Post, not the one that I added just before your Post?
..sure is, it's quoted atop my answer to him......I would have been putting that post together at the same time as you I guess....cheers....
Old Col is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:46 AM   #44
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Col View Post
..."......this was the case until the all steel '35 year, excepting for the 28/29 Tudors which were on the US steel platform for some unknown reason. ....
Old Col, the 1928 '29 Tudors [ also the Sport Coupe, Briggs 4 Dr Fabric back] were imported bodies, built up from Canada. They were finished & painted at the Aussie Plants. The Tudors were advertised in Aust. as all steel, imported & good value. The 1930 Tudors were not imported as Geelong began production of their Murray based Fordor ; the '30 Sport Coupe was also produced [ some were imported] but the Aussie one is distinguished by the use of the Sedan door, not a Coupe door which is similar construction to a Tudor.Geelong also wanted to produce fabric panelled Fordors & Tudors, but they were not a success & probably too expensive to make; a couple still exist.Geelong sometimes imported one off bodies , probably to aid their body building or maybe just for one of the bosses, who knows. There is the one & only ''29 steel top Coupe still in Tasmania, plus a handful of early roadsters , a couple of Taxis & even a Town Car which appears to have disappeared. There was also one new '31 S/W Fordor but it has the '30 shell. They may have been considering a new Sedan as they were listed in the 1932 Aust.Model A Parts Catalogue but of course no 1931 types were ever produced at Geelong.

Last edited by Tudortomnz; 01-25-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:06 AM   #45
mercman from oz

Talking about the Briggs Body Model A Fords, my Grandfather bought a Briggs Body Model A Sedan brand new. He lived in Maryborough, Queensland.
My Dad said that the rear portion of the body rotted out, (under all that fabric) so they went to the local wrecking year & found a 6 Window Sedan [non-Ford] (remember that the Briggs Body Model A was only a 4 Window Sedan) bought the rear section, came home & welded it in. after that, it was a 6 Window Briggs Body Sedan. If the car still exists, I reckon that it would cause a lot of confusion with those extra side windows. By the way, it did look very good when it was finished. They really did a great job on this conversion. Just wish I could lay my hands on a photo now?
Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 AM   #46
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I am with the US sourced camp for Roadsters body panels . And some if not all of the body panels of the phaetons,. This goes along with David G post .Part of the reason for this is that the tooling for Geelong in 33/34 was sourced through Canada from the parent Co most likely in Detroit and was owned and controlled by them .The projected sales could not justify the great expense of independent tooling just for 4 or 500 cars . So bodes were stamped then sourced through Ford Canada,
Quote Mercman
It is believed that the Rear Quarters on the Roadster & Coupe were fully imported. These Roadster Rear Quarter Panels were lengthened when used on the coupe, to fit the Coupe with their shorter doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamerAuto View Post
I have been told that the roadster and phatean bodies were imported from the us the 3 window and cabriolet were outsourced in canada and the rest were built in canada by ford.

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 01-25-2014 at 01:53 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #47
tub1

tudortomnz one and only steel top 29 coupe in Tasmania ,do you belive in santa and easter bunny lol mate the hot rodders had it a couple of owners before the present owner ,and the imported top bolted on a sport coupe ,that will throw some shit in the fan
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #48
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tub1 View Post
tudortomnz one and only steel top 29 coupe in Tasmania ,do you belive in santa and easter bunny lol mate the hot rodders had it a couple of owners before the present owner ,and the imported top bolted on a sport coupe ,that will throw some shit in the fan
I am going by the Ford Australia records which show one Coupe imported.
This information was published in The Restorer mag. [ Model A] in 2010 from an article by Dave Slater who went to considerable trouble to sift thru the era records that Ford Australia allowed him to see.
The Coupe , described as this one [ I have no proof if this is true], is or was recently on display at a car museum in Tasmania of which I have only seen a picture.
We know US Ford bodies have been imported into Australia since the 1970's to satisfy the Rod market, & lately all the ebay sales for original US cars, so anything is possible.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #49
Old Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Old Col, the 1928 '29 Tudors [ also the Sport Coupe, Briggs 4 Dr Fabric back] were imported bodies, built up from Canada. They were finished & painted at the Aussie Plants. The Tudors were advertised in Aust. as all steel, imported & good value.
....Hiya, I'm not a big Model A perve ( to small for me ) ,so thanks for the info.....I was just trying to give guys on here who might be interested in the offerings of Ford over here on this side of the world , a bit of an idea of what we had available to the general buying public without muddying the waters with the one-offs and special imports. Still have much to learn about A's ,probably only done 5 or 6 ( but as Hotrods for clients), so the specific details weren't a big issue back then.....cheers, Colin.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #50
Bick in New Zealand

Here is the car Tom is talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020044.jpg (47.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg P1020043.jpg (69.8 KB, 38 views)

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #51
Old Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
I am with the US sourced camp for Roadsters body panels . And some if not all of the body panels of the phaetons,. This goes along with David G post .Part of the reason for this is that the tooling for Geelong in 33/34 was sourced through Canada from the parent Co most likely in Detroit and was owned and controlled by them .The projected sales could not justify the great expense of independent tooling just for 4 or 500 cars . So bodes were stamped then sourced through Ford Canada,
Hi, I'm not so sure thats accurate.....certainly the 2 -'33 Sports Coupes I have done had lengthened sections to account for the shorter doors compared to the roadsters ,but the USA 5window we had here last year has much more height in the quarters from the lower edge up to the body reveal pressing.....and as the US body hangs over the frame rails and goes right down to meet the running boards , but the Aussie body doesn't.....then it would appear that they aren't the same quarter as the USA offering. Easiest way to put it to rest would be for someone to measure from the lower edge of the quarter ,behind the door.....and then up to the beginning of the reveal moulding , then have someone do the same to a similar body from the opposite country of origin...any takers?...and photo's of course.....
Old 01-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #52
48-710

G'Day Old Col,
Would one of those '33 sport coupes come from the Mildura area ?
Cheers, Gary
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #53
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

After importing the quarters were cut and the swage stamped slightly higher up ,Before cutting the dimensions were identical to US ones .The lower cowl was pie cut and a patch panel added .
Merc Man
Australians ones this "D" Mould at the bottom of the Cowl takes a different angle ,Ford Australia had to "pie-cut" the sides of the Cowl, so that the "D" Mould could follow the higher route of the relocated "D" moulds under the doors.

The quarters were
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Col View Post
Hi, I'm not so sure thats accurate.....certainly the 2 -'33 Sports Coupes I have done had lengthened sections to account for the shorter doors compared to the roadsters ,but the USA 5window we had here last year has much more height in the quarters from the lower edge up to the body reveal pressing.....and as the US body hangs over the frame rails and goes right down to meet the running boards , but the Aussie body doesn't.....then it would appear that they aren't the same quarter as the USA offering. Easiest way to put it to rest would be for someone to measure from the lower edge of the quarter ,behind the door.....and then up to the beginning of the reveal moulding , then have someone do the same to a similar body from the opposite country of origin...any takers?...and photo's of course.....

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #54
mercman from oz

Mention has been made about the Australian 33/34 Fords having a Wooden Floor. The only metal part of the Floor is the part under the rear seat. The attached picture in the Metal Floor that is in the Australian 34 Ford Phaetons. From here forward, it is all wood, & not shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0082.jpg (58.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-26-2014, 11:53 PM   #55
mercman from oz

These 2 photos show the inside of the Cowl of an Australian 1934 Ford Phaeton.
You will see this "pie-cut" that we have been discussing. It is more evident in the second picture. This was done on the Imported Cowls to change the direction of the "D" Molding, on account of the higher Wooden Floor used in the Australian manufacture of these 1933 & 1934 models.
Remember that this car is Right Hand Drive, & you can just see the Spoon of the Accelerator Pedal in the second picture.
Some may ask what that Angled Piece that is located just under the Accelerator Pedal is?
It is actually a Foot Rest when driving. This Bracket is screwed into the Wooden Toe Board. The right part of your foot or shoe rests on this bracket. It works out very well. Otherwise, your foot would be "hanging" in mid air.
If you want to see more pictures of this Bracket, lets know & I can post some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3710.jpg (77.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3711.jpg (99.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 AM   #56
tub1

my mate has his 33 5 window coupe in the nude as the moment it has the lengthened quarters as well got a feeling he had another set of quarters that didn't have anything joined on maybe they were roadster .Bick did you see the bit on the bottom of that sign in front of the coupe that said CHEQUE IS IN THE MAIL .
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:39 AM   #57
mercman from oz

This great book, "The History of Ford in Australia" by Norm Darwin is still available. It is highly recommended reading.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:28 PM   #58
Rudolph

Australia did some horrible shit to the cars back in the day, messed with the 34 a lot,
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:31 PM   #59
mercman from oz

In response to the comment by Rudolph, here is a picture of an Australian 1934 Ford Sedan with 1932 Ford rear door added for comparison. It appears that Ford Australia modified the 1932 Ford Sedan Body to use as 1933 and 1934 Ford Sedans. In hindsight, it was not a good look.