Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #1
Eccentric Old Guy

Default suggest an article, or video on how to change a tire on 21" rim please...

There are a couple videos on YouTube, but I'm not sure about the methods used. I've never changed a tire, so I wouldn't know if the information is good, or not. My rims are 21", if that makes a difference in how it's done.

For those of you who are familiar with the procedure, please suggest a correct source of information. Either article or video is ok.

eog
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: suggest an article, or video on how to change a tire on 21" rim please...

I think the owners manual has a page or two on just that.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:52 PM   #3
MickyD

Default Re: suggest an article, or video on how to change a tire on 21" rim please...

My rims were 21 inch on my 28 roadster.I don't know how old you are. I am 75 and me and a friend of mine 60 ish took the tires off my rims, sent them out for powder coating and put them back together a few days later. It was not real hard to do but somewhat time consuming if you replace the rim liner tube, new valve stems as we did. Just take your time. We used a couple large screw drivers and tire irons to help get the job done.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:41 PM   #4
1955cj5

This thread has a link to a video, and other suggestions.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225473

Here is another video that seems pretty accurate.

Read the comments as they point out some shortcomings in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S69Nkmv8Y6M

I'd use some proper tire irons, but the talcum powder looks like a good idea.

I changed mine by myself 4 or 5 years ago. Did a couple one day and finished the next day.

Like so many things you'll be pretty good at it by the time you finish mounting the last tire!

Here is another that looks pretty good. Pressing the beads together and then pushing the tire down into the rim is important, it gives a little room at the bottom of the wheel to pull the old tire off....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8iOSPLXR_4

And as mentioned the Model A Instruction Book (owners manual) has a great description. That description is what the fellow in the last video is more or less following.

The Instruction book has a surprising amount of good information, it was meant to guide the owner through many maintenance chores.

Last edited by 1955cj5; 01-16-2022 at 07:05 PM.
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:56 PM   #5
Redbird

Just like a bicycle tire, but a little heavier.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:30 PM   #6
ronn

The larger the pry bar, the better. I bought a pair from HF about 10 yrs ago and they have done well.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:44 AM   #7
Bruce of MN

If the bead is really stuck to the rim, you can make your own bead breaker. (Steel tire cover left on for avoiding work for this demo pic.)

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:47 AM   #8
Wick

If you know someone with a tire machine, take the wheels to them. . Takes just a couple minutes per wheel. I change Alot of tires on old cars,so I found a used machine for a couple hundred bucks.
Best money spent on a tool, Every club should have one. Less than $1,500 new, used... $350.00 and up.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:13 AM   #9
shew01

Default suggest an article, or video on how to change a tire on 21" rim please...

I changed my first tire about a year ago. If your wheels have some rust on them and you don’t mind scratching the paint, two or three tire spoons work great.

These tire spoons come with plastic protectors to help protect the paint.

NEIKO 20601A 14.5 inch Steel Tire Spoon Lever Iron Tool Kit | Professional Tire Changing Tool for Motorcycle, Dirt Bike, Lawn Mower | 3 pcs Tire Spoons | 3 Rim Protector | Valve Tool | 6 Valve Cores https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B082K7V2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The bead breaker above would be helpful too, especially if you are trying to protect the wheel paint.

I’ve tried the trash bag method with mixed results. It worked great with flexible tires, but not so much with stiffer walled tires. My old tires were bias ply, and very flexible, and, as I said, the trash bag method worked great. My new radials were much harder to flex when mounting; so, the trash bag method didn’t work for me.

You may have better luck with tire spoons if you work from the back side of the wheel. If a tire spoon slips and creates a scratch, there is a good chance that the scratch will not be seen from the front side of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:27 AM   #10
ronn

shew- Ive had some tires where a 24" bar hardly got them off. the ones youre mentioning look nice, but a bit short if you need any kind of real leverage.

I guess it all depends on what your working with. Ive had to use a sawzall on some calcified tires on my 07 ford. no flex at all........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:35 AM   #11
Ed in Maine

Your best bet is watch a couple of UTube videos before you start. With newly painted rims, you do not want to have someone mount the tires. Do it yourself. Also, do not use screw drivers or spoons. Use a rubber lubricant such as liquid soap and water. Get a large thick blanket on the floor Using your hands and your feet and perhaps a couple of feet from a friend push the tire on the rim. A new tire is easier. Install the tube first into the tire, lightly inflate, place the fill tube into the rim and get the tire as deeply inserted into the rim as possible. Then push the tire over the rim using your feet. If using a whitewall tire, make sure you have the right side out!! Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:45 PM   #12
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
shew- Ive had some tires where a 24" bar hardly got them off. the ones youre mentioning look nice, but a bit short if you need any kind of real leverage.
Isn't this why some of these tire spoon sets include three spoons?

I am the original poster on this thread, and I haven't changed a model A tire yet, but am looking at getting some of these spoons for an upcoming tire change.

It would seem to me that three spoons would mean less leverage would be needed, because they are closer together along the rim while in use. Does anyone agree with that????

(BTW: Thanks for all the advice given in this thread, much appreciated.)

eog
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:19 AM   #13
Bruce of MN

This stuff will make things easier:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7...000&ir=5&tps=7
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:46 AM   #14
katy

Old spring leaves (not too wide ones) make good tire irons. Learnt that in the 1950s.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #15
rotorwrench

The early 21" wheels with the round rim are easy to do if the metal is in good condition and surfaces are smooth. Taking an old hard tire off can be a real chore trying to get the beads pinched together and down into the well of the rim. They don't slide off as easy either.

The 19" rim is a little less forgiving if a person has to pry a lot. It's not quite as strong as the round bead 21s. It's relatively easy to get the bead off the rim but putting it back on can be more difficult. A lot depends on lubricant used. Talcom powder can have asbestos in it so folks shy away from it now days. Corn starch can be just as effective. Ru-glyde can work if a person gets the right spots lubed during installation. Lubing a tire coming off is opposite to one going on.

A lot of these U-tubes show a nice clean rim and a tire that still has some flexibility to it. Putting a new tire on is a lot easier than putting an old tire on after replacing or patching a tube. I've seen folks use the trash bag trick to get the tire bead over the rim and it works pretty well. but it's easier if the wheel is off the car and not all that easy with the wheel on.

Ru-glyde and other tire lubricants can help on new rubber but sometimes its pretty messy when trying to get it to work on old rubber.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote