Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Tony G

Default @#%&#* Adjustable Tappets

While assembling my engine and while adjusting the last valve the adjusting screw loosened up and no longer had any turning resistance.
I assume those self locking adjustable tappets work off of an interference fit on the threads. Has anyone successfully fixed one while it was in place by either loctite or staking the threads? I just hate to take it all apart again.
Thanks for any advice,
TG
Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
James Rogers

Default Re: @#%&#* Adjustable Tappets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
While assembling my engine and while adjusting the last valve the adjusting screw loosened up and no longer had any turning resistance.
I assume those self locking adjustable tappets work off of an interference fit on the threads. Has anyone successfully fixed one while it was in place by either loctite or staking the threads? I just hate to take it all apart again.
Thanks for any advice,
TG
People may think I am cheap for always using double lock tappets but, I never have a problem like this. You might put a drop of locktite non hardening and get it to stay I don't think I would count on it. I think I would remove the valve and the adjusting bolt and whack the threads with a hammer to foul the threads and re-install it.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Well, I probably wouldn't do it but in your case what do you have to lose? Is the engine in the car right now, or on the stand? THAT would make a huge difference too in my view. One or two dings with a center punch might be just what it needs if the engine is still in the chassis.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Wick

Ive tried the locktite,dident last long. So I took a punch to it...that worked!
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Tim

After adjustment gentle with the punch and you will be ok. Listen for the tick as you drive it and you'll know soon enough how you did.

Good luck,

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Tony G

Thankyou guys for the great suggestions. I will rough up the threads and see if it's tight enough.I believe the next time I will use the original tappets.Like my signature states "Old is good and new is bad, very bad".
TG
Old 08-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
Thankyou guys for the great suggestions. I will rough up the threads and see if it's tight enough.I believe the next time I will use the original tappets.Like my signature states "Old is good and new is bad, very bad".
TG
Well, to a certain extent I agree with your 'signature statement' however there are certain things where I personally am not a fan of "old" --and prefer "new" over the "old"! "Old" milk is one biggie that immediately comes to mind, ...as is using old engine oils, or old tires, or the old original non-adjustable tappets. Most people do not know how to accurately set the non-adjustable tappets plus it is very time consuming (and expensive) if you are not good at it. Next time just start with a good product with a proven track record and you will be fine.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
James Rogers

I agree with Brent, the double locks are best. I think the single locks are just a way to get out of work and make the job "easier". They just aren't reliable and don't work very well.

Last edited by James Rogers; 08-10-2011 at 05:21 PM.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
d.j. moordigian

If the engine is out of the car....fix it now. When do you PLAN to do this again?
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
BobK

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I agree with Brent, the double locks are best. I think the single locks are just a way to get out of work and make the job "easier". They just aren't reliable and don't work very well.
Way back when I was a young man adjustible tappets were not available. So as so many shade tree mechanics back then did there were always ways to make things work. When we were building A and B engines back in the late 50s we used 1951 Ford 6 cylinder adjustible tappets. They were single nut and we never had a problem with them. Ford built back then of course. The only thing was that the hole for the tappet had to be slightly reamed open and the tappet fit right in. But of course now we have many very good products available and they are made correctly and fit without modifications.
BobK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
Tony G

The motor is out and being reassembled after a ring & valve job.Those tappets were already in the motor so I thought I'd reuse them. I'll be rebuilding another one this winter and I have no qualms about using the original solids.Setting the valve clearances properly is no state secret if your a mechanic and have the tooling.

Thanks again to all who replied,

TG