Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #21
160B

Default Re: First Time Tire Change

The best way to change a tire is to build a platform using 2X4 and plywood. Cut out the center so you can lay the wheel hubcap side down and remove the tire from the back side. Cover the platform with a carpet. I used indoor out door carpet. Break the bead on the front and the back of the tire. Place a plastic garbage bag over the rim and tuck the bag into the tire. Use a small tire iron and I use a piece of hard plastic to protect the paint on the rim and then work the tire off the rim. Remove the inner tube and repeat the process to remove the tire from the rim.
To install the tire place the plastic bag over the rim and work the tire onto the rim, this can be done by hand but if you need to use the tire iron and the piece of hard plastic to work the tire on the rim. Remove the plastic bag, install the inner tube. Place the plastic bag over the rim and work the plastic bag between the tire and the rim and work the tire onto the rim, this can be done by hand, or your foot. If you need to you can use the tire iron and the piece of hard plastic to work the tire on the rim.

P1010535.jpg

P1010536.jpg

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #22
Vic in E-TN

If you have an old tube, cut it into a few pieces approximately 4 in by 6 in and use them to keep from harming the rim paint. There is a potion called "Rubber Lube". The tire shops have it and it can be purchased but usually in gallon size. Take a small jar to a tire shop and ask for a little.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #23
Jeff/Illinois

I tried using the tire spoons that the Model A Vendors sell, on a 16" Ford rim, that was old and dry rotted, and had a heck of a time.

I gave up and took it to a local farm tire shop. They popped it off and popped on my new tire in a very very short time, made it look effortless.

That's how I plan on doing them from now on. And they charged very little to do it.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:18 PM   #24
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
The best way to change a tire is to build a platform using 2X4 and plywood. Cut out the center so you can lay the wheel hubcap side down and remove the tire from the back side. Cover the platform with a carpet. I used indoor out door carpet. Break the bead on the front and the back of the tire. Place a plastic garbage bag over the rim and tuck the bag into the tire. Use a small tire iron and I use a piece of hard plastic to protect the paint on the rim and then work the tire off the rim. Remove the inner tube and repeat the process to remove the tire from the rim.
To install the tire place the plastic bag over the rim and work the tire onto the rim, this can be done by hand but if you need to use the tire iron and the piece of hard plastic to work the tire on the rim. Remove the plastic bag, install the inner tube. Place the plastic bag over the rim and work the plastic bag between the tire and the rim and work the tire onto the rim, this can be done by hand, or your foot. If you need to you can use the tire iron and the piece of hard plastic to work the tire on the rim.

Attachment 441449

Attachment 441450

How big is the hole that you cut into the plywood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #25
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post

Attachment 441449

Attachment 441450
I’m with Don! Any boo boos are on the back side. Also if not already mentioned, pick up a threader that’s screws into your inner tube stem, where the sharader valve goes. Then you just pull the tube stem right thru the rim hole!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:39 PM   #26
Cpuckett

I just changed all 5 of mine. Let them set in the sun and heat up. Put one side on first while Using WD 40, had wheel laying on carpet, hubcap side down. First side popped right on, put tube in then a little air then put WD 40 on the the other side. Pushed down with knees and then walked around it and it popped right on. Took about a hour and a half for all 5
Cpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #27
160B

[QUOTE=shew01;1928797]How big is the hole that you cut into the plywood? /QUOTE]

See attached photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Platform for mounting tires cropped (2).jpg (64.6 KB, 54 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #28
shew01

[QUOTE=160B;1928875]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
How big is the hole that you cut into the plywood? /QUOTE]

See attached photo

Thanks. I need to build one of these. I read an article about this method a while back, but I have been able to find it.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #29
shew01

I think I found the article.

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...e-Mounting.pdf

Old 09-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #30
marty in Ohio

It's not a fun job but very rewarding when finished. I made some tools to pry with out of hardwood. Make sure you take off any rough edges. For lubricant I use Murphy's Oil Soap. Real slippery and washes right off.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #31
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpuckett View Post
Let them set in the sun and heat up.
That’s a good idea. I was working in the shade. I didn’t think about the sun making the tire easier to work with.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #32
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
It's not a fun job but very rewarding when finished. I made some tools to pry with out of hardwood. Make sure you take off any rough edges. For lubricant I use Murphy's Oil Soap. Real slippery and washes right off.
Marty

I agree. It was rewarding when finished. Murphy’s Oil Soap sounds like a good idea.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:56 PM   #33
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
I agree. It was rewarding when finished. Murphy’s Oil Soap sounds like a good idea.

I never saw anyone experience that much trouble changing a tire!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:58 AM   #34
shew01

Default First Time Tire Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
I never saw anyone experience that much trouble changing a tire!

Hmm.... I’m guessing you have changed quite a number of Model A tires over the years. As the thread title says, this was my first one. ;-) I’m guessing the next one will go a bit easier for me. There’s a first time for everything. I had absolutely no idea of what to expect.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #35
katy

Back in the '50s I was taught to use old spring leaves for tire irons, I still have a couple that I keep for use.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #36
30ccpickup

The next time is always easier. May I suggest to follow Ford's instruction manual, rumor has it he knows a bit about these cars. The design of the tire and rim allows it to be easily changed along side the road without unbolting it from the car. The key is the tire iron and in unison pinching the tire and pushing it down into the rim. With practice it is just as easy as changing a bicycle tire. You get a feel for it. Here is a link to my tire change page http://modelabasics.com/fixFlat.htm it includes a video and follows the instruction manual but with pictures and today's terminology.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:35 PM   #37
TerryO

I have also changed tires without removing wheels...Maybe I was just lucky but they weren't that bad. Now if I could just find time to mount my new Coker radials.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:16 AM   #38
ronn

as to what 160b says about building a platform of 2 x 4s

just grab an old pallet and cut out accordingly........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:52 PM   #39
mgambuzza

Thanks for the trash bag hint as the past couple days were my first time in replacing tubes and tires. The tires on the 1930 Tudor I purchased last fall had lots of cracks and checking so I waited until the spring to invest and try this challenge. I purchased Lucas blackwalls (as I liked the lettering, tread pattern - unfortunately the Mrs was sad to see the whitewalls go). Two items I learned from this:

1. I wish there was a "trash bag" method of removing the old tires. The first three came off like butter - each one easier than the previous. A couple were trending towards the "petrified" state. As difficult as it was removing a couple of the old tires, it was satisfying to see how easy the new fell on with the trash bag method.

2. The next time I order tubes I will take the time to inquire where they're made. I avoided a couple places who were known to sell imported tubes, and the one I purchased five tubes from were mentioned in previous, although possibly older post, still had the good tubes. None of the new ones I received had stamps like the ones I removed that said Made in the USA, but I moved forward with the installations. It wasn't of course until the fifth that there was a sticker that said Made in China on the bag. I'll hold my breath in the meantime, and make sure I check with some other vendors so I can purchase some more local sourced tubes, as the history posted on several sites and forum didn't have a very favorable opinion on the Made in China. Maybe I'll be lucky, and hopefully the quality controls have improved - only time will tell.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #40
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
He is referring to Tire Spoons the tool not eating spoons.

Mike
Go to Amazon and put in "Tire changing spoon" and you'll see a whole selection.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote