Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
triumphleroy

Default 292 PCV 1964 Truck

Think I have all the pieces intact except the Intake manifold Fitting. My engine has a fitting with an inverted flare connection for the WIPER MOTOR VACUUM LINE only. Trying to remove this fitting now not sure It can be done with the carburetor installed. Any one have photo of the fittings they have in the manifold? any idea on where the mentioned Carb. Spacer plate with the opening for the vacuum line in it may be purchased ? Thanks for any help.
triumphleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
triumphleroy

Default Re: 292 PCV 1964 Truck

Think I found the vacuum spacer plate on EPAY once I figured out what I was really looking for, but still like to see manifold fitting set up! Thanks
Old 11-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 292 PCV 1964 Truck

Listen, I have the actual FORD PARTS ILL on this system. It is in my old computer. I will try to hold an exorcism tonight and extract it.

This is a L/D TRUCK (pickup) correct and not a 292 M/D or H/D?

(Can also be found in correct year FORD SERVICE MANUAL).

Stand By!

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
triumphleroy

The fitting I think is an 45 degree Street Elbow that the PCV threads into! It screws into the intake manifold in front of the carburetor! The fitting in its position right now is an inverted flare for the vacuum wiper tubing. This engine is installed in an 55 Ford Club Sedan now so I have no idea what it came out of Light Duty or Heavy Duty, but think was larger truck? As I believe the big trucks used this PCV where others did not??? Correct me on any of my thinking as I am an old 75 year old reliving my youth has dual exhaust and Mustang 5 speed Transmission as well just trying to clean up the blowby, air filter is oil bath too! Did find that PCV Standard Brand V100 got three coming from Rock Auto as well as new oil caps with and without the hook up tube back to air filter if needed. My old 55 back in the late 50s had the draft tube on its 272 I think?

Last edited by triumphleroy; 11-22-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 292 PCV 1964 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphleroy View Post

The fitting I think is an 45 degree Street Elbow that the PCV threads into! It screws into the intake manifold in front of the carburetor!
That sounds correct as I remember the diagram details.

Quote:
This engine is installed in an 55 Ford Club Sedan now so I have no idea what it came out of Light Duty or Heavy Duty, but think was larger truck? As I believe the big trucks used this PCV where others did not???
For the most part (and this is conjecture on my part), PCV became mandatory in CA in 1961 on PASS CAR and LIGHT TRUCK runs. It went Federal in 1963. Usually, heavy truck was exempt but I would need parts/service books of the period to be able to determine correctly.

The 272 and 292 M/D and H/D were built a lot different than pass car.

Quote:
Correct me on any of my thinking as I am an old 75 year old reliving my youth has dual exhaust and Mustang 5 speed Transmission as well just trying to clean up the blowby, air filter is oil bath too!
I am not qualified to correct you on anything as I am 70 years of age myself...

Quote:
Did find that PCV Standard Brand V100 got three coming from Rock Auto as well as new oil caps with and without the hook up tube back to air filter if needed. My old 55 back in the late 50s had the draft tube on its 272 I think?
Yeah, the PASS CAR engine (except BIRD) had the road draft feature on the LF skirt of the block. These were infrequently serviced and led to a lot of blow-by. The LT used a road draft tube (will show in ILL) until PCV.

But I promise to get you the illustrations sometime later today or tonight.

EDIT- ...again...

I found the below ILL while carousing with my browser. It appears to be from a PARTS ILL copy. It will give you an idea of the design.

If you need more detail, I will post the complete ILL's later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FYB- Road Draft Sytem.jpg (48.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg FYB- PCV System _1.jpg (69.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg FYB- PCV System _2.jpg (17.9 KB, 33 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-23-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: ADVANCED CRS - TO ADD INFO
Old 11-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
triumphleroy

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to see ! That fitting looks like it has a second opening most likely for the wipers! I will probably just have to southern engineer something though. I just want a dependable maintainable driver. My engine does not have the opening in side of block at all for road Draft Tube. It does have larger exhaust manifolds, no cross over and timing chain cover has two drilled and capped holes at its leading edge.
At 70 Years young you are just a BABY ! Any and all Help is Appreciated TOO !
Old 11-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
triumphleroy

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to see ! That fitting looks like it has a second opening most likely for the wipers! I will probably just have to southern engineer something though. I just want a dependable maintainable driver.
At 70 Years young you are just a BABY ! Any and all Help is Appreciated TOO !
Old 11-24-2017, 04:36 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: 292 PCV 1964 Truck

I would think the second line goes to the combination (gas-vacuum) pump.

The full description of that PN (374965-S) can usually be found under BASIC PN 9424 (Intake Manifold) in the MPC and a further detailed description in the STANDARD PARTS CATALOG.

I am sure everyone here will be willing to help you with anything and remember, pictures of the car are welcome...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #9
triumphleroy

Would Love to post photos but am having trouble remembering exactly how I do that! Lost my whole system in the tornado that destroyed my home only have Internet with cell phone porting and not very dependable. Just Replaced fuel pump and It does not have the auxiliary vacuum on top side. Used a Carter M4008 with built in fuel filter on bottom of pump, think later model for 352s or ? Seems to be working well so far.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 292 PCV 1964 Truck

Quote:

Would Love to post photos but am having trouble remembering exactly how I do that! Lost my whole system in the tornado that destroyed my home only have Internet with cell phone porting and not very dependable.

...damn...

Sorry to hear that...

Quote:
Just Replaced fuel pump and It does not have the auxiliary vacuum on top side. Used a Carter M4008 with built in fuel filter on bottom of pump, think later model for 352s or ? Seems to be working well so far.
...hmmpf...

How do the wipers (still vacuum?) operate?

I had a 60 SUNLINER 352 that still used a combination pump.

Photos when you can ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #11
triumphleroy

Wipers do work but weak probably wiper motors dried out! Looking into electric wiper aftermarket kit! They talk about with and with out Radio, and apparently with radio set up now available. But man my ole back hurts just thinking about getting under the dash anymore. My car did not have the vacuum assist when i got it so I do not have a CORE and most everybody wants a rebuildable core. Have been considering 12 volt vacuum pump, but cost wise with everything considered probably better to go electric wipers?
Old 11-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Quote:

But man my ole back hurts just thinking about getting under the dash anymore.
Don't feel like THE LONE RANGER. I have a 2001 TAURUS that I just rebuilt the column shift mechanism in and now have to pull out the instrument cluster.

My back is good but trying to compress this belly is something else ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
triumphleroy

Tried to send you EMAIL? Thanks
Old 11-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #14
triumphleroy

Let me know if you get the photo of little 55 Club Sedan and feel free to post on this site too.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #15
KULTULZ

Quote:

Let me know if you get the photo of little 55 Club Sedan and feel free to post on this site too.
Received and here is your '55-

Are those styled steel wheels off a later MUST/TORINO? Trying to place them.

She looks nice...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 FORD - Jesse.jpg (58.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1955 FORD - Jesse _2.jpg (64.5 KB, 11 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-25-2017 at 07:35 PM. Reason: ADD JESSE's 2nd PHOTO W/ FULL WHEEL COVERS
Old 11-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #16
triumphleroy

I have a full set of stock wheels and 55 Ford Full Hubcaps, These are just a set of aftermarket Rally Wheels similar to Chevrolet rally Wheels. I am having an small vibration at about 45 mph, and this set of wheels has two bolt patterns so moved them onto this Ford for Diagnostic reasons ? have had drive shaft balance checked, set pinion angle on rear end, swapped rear center section, changed from 4 cylinder T5 to 8 cylinder T5? Can coast down from 60 with engine shut down and goes through that vibration from 48 mph back through 37 mph worst at 45 mph? Trying to set up Balance with the old Bear Type Balance where it is spun up on the vehicle???

Last edited by triumphleroy; 11-24-2017 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling check
Old 11-25-2017, 03:26 AM   #17
KULTULZ

Post Re: 292 PCV 1964 Truck

Quote:

I have a full set of stock wheels and 55 Ford Full Hubcaps,

These are just a set of aftermarket Rally Wheels similar to Chevrolet rally Wheels.

... sorry... I have these reactions when GM is spoken...

Quote:
I am having an small vibration at about 45 mph, and this set of wheels has two bolt patterns so moved them onto this Ford for Diagnostic reasons ?

have had drive shaft balance checked, set pinion angle on rear end, swapped rear center section, changed from 4 cylinder T5 to 8 cylinder T5? Can coast down from 60 with engine shut down and goes through that vibration from 48 mph back through 37 mph worst at 45 mph? Trying to set up Balance with the old Bear Type Balance where it is spun up on the vehicle???
These are just suggestions-

Did you actually take the U-Joints out and check? Sometimes they will be dry frozen and will not appear loose. Do yours have grease fittings?

All mounts are good, output shaft bushing/yoke/pinion flange?

Tires out-of-round (they can be shaved)?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #18
triumphleroy

Actually replaced both u joints ! Looking into on car balance and possible shaving etc. Just not that Many places left that do that anymore? Sent you Photo With Ford STOCK WHEEL COVERS!

Last edited by triumphleroy; 11-25-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #19
KULTULZ

Post Re: 292 PCV 1964 Truck

Now that I think about it, vibration only during deceleration should be in the drive-line. You say you have had the rear apart (checked pinion and side bearings). This is a 56 integral rear, correct? It hasn't been upgraded?

If tire balance/out-of-round/ply separation) it should do it at most all times...

I added your 2nd photo (much better appearance ) in the original post.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #20
triumphleroy

Stock 55 Rear End! swapped out center section and both axles for higher ratio and still have vibration, it is there Coasting, Accelerating, Decelerating.? I ain't gonna give up until its smooth at all speeds. It is smooth as silk at 50 mph. and isn't too bad at 104 mph it was still pulling but I remembered these tires were rated 102 mph. I guess i'm getting "skeered" in my old age?