Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Tony G

Default 1929 Gas Tank

Hi Guys,
I have a nice clean fuel tank that I want to use in my resto but there's this problem.The choke rod bracket is off of it and all there is left is the 2 rivet mtg. holes in the tank. No problem coming up with another bracket but can it be attached with no rivets there?
I'm also looking for a recommendation for a radiator shop in the S.NH / Mass border to do the work.

Thanks,
TG
Tony G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: 1929 Gas Tank

My guess is NO, a new bracket can not be put on and be expected to SAFELY hold gas the way it is now. HOWEVER, you can send it to Brent...he may have an idea or fix it for you.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Chris in CT

Hi Tony, No reason you cannot re-rivet the bracket to the gas tank, but you will have to silver-solder it to be sure it won't leak. North Country Radiator in Queensbury, New York is not too far from you, and they can install an interior rubberized baked on coating inside the tank that will protect you from future leaks and corrosion. Good Luck!
Chris in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

I had a simular tank about 10 years ago. I was tempeted to to use#10 rivnuts and screws to attach a new one, but was not sure ow to get it all to seal back up without the use of the modern tank sealer. Also finfing a place to borrow the rivnut crimper may have been tricky. Rod
Old 05-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Jim Parker Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in CT View Post
Hi Tony, No reason you cannot re-rivet the bracket to the gas tank, but you will have to silver-solder it to be sure it won't leak. North Country Radiator in Queensbury, New York is not too far from you, and they can install an interior rubberized baked on coating inside the tank that will protect you from future leaks and corrosion. Good Luck!

Please tell us more about this rubberized coating and how the Ethanol will/will not affect it.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Chris in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post

Please tell us more about this rubberized coating and how the Ethanol will/will not affect it.
Hi Jim, As opposed to some of the coatings "in the can" that you can apply yourself to the inside of a gas tank, the rubberized coating I'm talking about has to be baked on, and therefore requires specialized equipment to do it. When I had my 29 tank repaired at North Country, they suggested the baked on coating, and said that they used it regularly with all types and makes of gas tanks in the restoration process. I'm sorry that I cannot give you a product name, but perhaps if you wish to call North Country Radiator in Queensbury, New York, they may be willing to share more technical information with you. I think they have a website, so you may be able to contact them through that as well. Best Wishes!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
dan

Looks like it's Gas Tank RENU. (site here: http://www.gastankrenu.com/) but I'm still wondering how well an applied coating will stand up to ethanol.

Anybody have any experience with this stuff in the longer term?
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Chris in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Looks like it's Gas Tank RENU. (site here: http://www.gastankrenu.com/) but I'm still wondering how well an applied coating will stand up to ethanol.

Anybody have any experience with this stuff in the longer term?
I don't think it is Gas Tank RENU, since that product requires coating on the inside and outside of the tank. My tank was coated only on the inside. Please check with North Country directly before jumping to conclusions. Is GTR baked on?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in CT View Post
I don't think it is Gas Tank RENU, since that product requires coating on the inside and outside of the tank. My tank was coated only on the inside. Please check with North Country directly before jumping to conclusions. Is GTR baked on?
I am guilty of jumping to a conclusion, but only because that's the stuff they're promoting on the North Country site http://northcountryautoradiator.com/...AC-repair.html

I think you're right though--GTR isn't advertised as baked, so what they did to your tank could have been something else (better). It does seem like there should be some solution that will hold up. After all, a lot of tanks are plastic these days.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Chris in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I am guilty of jumping to a conclusion, but only because that's the stuff they're promoting on the North Country site http://northcountryautoradiator.com/...AC-repair.html

I think you're right though--GTR isn't advertised as baked, so what they did to your tank could have been something else (better). It does seem like there should be some solution that will hold up. After all, a lot of tanks are plastic these days.
Hi Dan, I see your point! My tank was done only from the inside, and baked on to boot, so I really don't know what happened here. The coating I have is standing up perfectly...