Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
Doctor's Ford

Default How do I polarize this generator?

Photos show my original 1933 model B generator after it was restored 3 years ago. I have 6 volt positive ground and now that my engine is finally running I want to hook the generator and test if it works. Pretty sure need to polarize it because a few months ago the system was connected to negative ground for some testing. I read several posts trying to understand how to polarize the gen but still can't figure out which are the parts that I have to hook together for a split second as mentioned.

Using my photos as a reference can you please explain from where to where is that I have to connect?

I presume the procedure is done while the engine is running?

Sorry for asking what many may consider too basic questions. Thanks for any input. Manuel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator, restored 1 Jan 2013.jpg (33.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Generator, restored 2 Jan 2013.jpg (21.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Mounting generator and oil tube.jpg (49.2 KB, 52 views)
Doctor's Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:32 AM   #2
koates

Default Re: How do I polarize this generator?

Hi there. The large black terminal on your generator, connect it with a jumper wire to your battery negative terminal or battery terminal on your starter switch (4 cyl engine). Make the connection for one second and you will see a flash on connecting and disconnecting the jumper. Engine not required to be running. Make sure your battery positive terminal is connected to ground or chassis. Start engine and rev up some and check ammeter for charge. For daylight running (no lights on) 5 amps charge on ammeter with revs up somewhat is ample charge rate. Any higher than this especially on longer runs in daylight will overheat and overcharge your battery. Set this by moving the 3rd brush around clockwise or anti clockwise inside the generator. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:55 AM   #3
koates

Default Re: How do I polarize this generator?

Just to add to the above, I presume your round reproduction cut out is just a mechanical points type cut out only and not an electronic voltage regulator. The points type cut out will operate neg or pos ground OK . A diode type replacement cut out is polarity sensitive. The electronic voltage regulator type will only work to the polarity it was built for. Check this before connecting battery wire to cut out. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote