Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2022, 06:41 PM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: The truck based woodie hits the screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Gary,
Nice video on the woodie! I enjoyed it! I like the window lifts! Kids would love that horn too.
One thing I learned is that you can load your videos much quicker using your phone rather than the computer. Assuming you have a newer type phone?
Regards,
Chri
Thanks Chris and others! Yessir I got one of them Iphone 11 jobs. I'm learning real slowly how to work all this upload/download stuff..... Makes pulling sludgey, stuck valve guides from a flathead valley look fun and easy!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 08:13 PM   #22
flatford8

Great video Gary! I really enjoyed the tour of the Woodie.....I read a saying about men like you.....”you don’t live high on a hill so you can look down on others.....but so that others can look up to you” ......great job on the Wagon!!......we hope the New Year finds you and your family well!!.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 08:25 PM   #23
tubman

Very enjoyable video, but somebody has to ask; what's with the vehicle on the left side of the road at the beginning of the video?
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:07 PM   #24
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Very enjoyable video, but somebody has to ask; what's with the vehicle on the left side of the road at the beginning of the video?
It was a freebie... Model A cowl, hood and chassis. A friend brought me a mid 60s mercedes grill and it fit pretty well.Then I laid some 4x4s across the frame rails and a stack of boards. When I got the doodlebug it had a badly cracked exhaust manifold, and this yard art donated a humdinger.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 12-31-2022, 06:00 AM   #25
deuce lover

Excellent ! Looks like enough room in the back for a cord of firewood.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 07:47 AM   #26
Ray in La Mesa

We visited Gary on his hill and enjoyed a ride in the fabulous WOODIE to the local market for a bottle of wine, brings back fantastic memories! Ray & JudyJo
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 07:56 AM   #27
mfirth

REALLY NICE !! Love the entire rig including the "strap window regulaters". If you ever tire of it, send it my way........ You & Mart, well, just good stuff. By the way, the wood & varnish are GR8 !!
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 08:20 AM   #28
41Fordor

That is gorgeous!

You must be a boat builder. Or you should be!
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 10:00 AM   #29
GB SISSON

Thank you all for the nice comments. For those of you seeing this project for the first time, I have a thread here on the barn starting when it was just an idea, Search 'Truck based woody'. It's a pretty long thread so you can see the highlights in this slideshow I made. I will post a link below. And yes, my first ten years of work were all in boat construction.

https://express.adobe.com/video/M0ynvLlPj2GCC
Old 12-31-2022, 10:12 AM   #30
Ol' Ron

Boy!! T thiught we were in my drive way at the beginning of the video. I think the wagon is beautiful, better than perfect. Take care.
Gramps.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:15 AM   #31
truckdog62563

Below is your link, Gary. Like the other old timers here I’ve been fascinated by your talents for a long while. Attaboy on the video. Stu

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175939
Old 12-31-2022, 12:05 PM   #32
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Great video Gary! I really enjoyed the tour of the Woodie.....I read a saying about men like you.....”you don’t live high on a hill so you can look down on others.....but so that others can look up to you” ......great job on the Wagon!!......we hope the New Year finds you and your family well!!.......Mark

In my case it would be living high on the hill so I could bump start my p/u when the battery goes dead or the starter takes a dump. Lol.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:01 PM   #33
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
In my case it would be living high on the hill so I could bump start my p/u when the battery goes dead or the starter takes a dump. Lol.
If they don't bump start by the time I hit the county road 1/2 mile away, I know it's gonna be something serious......
Old 12-31-2022, 01:19 PM   #34
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
If they don't bump start by the time I hit the county road 1/2 mile away, I know it's gonna be something serious......
How about the hen-house?
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 03:22 PM   #35
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
How about the hen-house?
You reffering to that crashing sound near the end of the death trap video?
Old 12-31-2022, 08:50 PM   #36
Fordors

I always enjoyed following along on your build thread Gary, but the video is the icing on the cake. Well done, thanks.
Old 01-01-2023, 12:37 AM   #37
GB SISSON

Heck, you guys got me blushing. It was a really fun build, and a very gratifying project. Many of you gave me good ideas and solutions, not to mention parts (like Stu shipping the transmission from Illinois) ....
Old 01-01-2023, 04:18 AM   #38
fortyonerag

Many thanks for sharing, one of those things that just look 'right'

Warms me chilly ol' heart to see.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 04:48 AM   #39
47topless

The Coachmaker, GB Sisson (Gary), has created something truly special. He has taken all of us along in a step back in time, when an individual would take an idea and, with a little help from his friends and family support group, and free from government interference, create the remarkable, and the useful and when finished, the spark to do it again and again. Calling someone's activity an inspiration, is more than not, simply misplaced praise. Usually of the self-serving variety.
This creation, of Coachman Sisson, should serve as the prototype for the production of an impressive fleet of similar but varied rec/utility vehicles, hand built, using local materials, salvaged vehicles and mechanicals and local craftsman in the charge of the Master, GB Sisson.
Put people to work and you have solved so many problems.

Also, you can put me down for the next SISSON that rolls off the assembly line.
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 07:50 AM   #40
truckdog62563

Gary mentioned my singular contribution to the project, the light duty 3 speed transmission. Related to that, it’s worth mentioning that the Coach Builder first sent me a custom made, cabinet grade, wood box for the transmission’s return shipment. No cardboard and packing tape for this man. Stu