Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
reggiedog

Smile Springfield Paper

HI:,

Does anyone have the second page of the Springfield Paper as to where it talks about the Ford Plants shutting down, Reason is I have the front page of that Paper but on the bottom of that article it says it's continued on the next page.

And so I want to get the next page of that article so I know what that all says maybe it's garbage, but then again maybe it's not as I have no clue as to what it is without seeing it.

Plus I have tried several times to contact that paper to get that article but no one returns my messages or emails that I leave for them, so now the only thing to do is ask on here if anyone has or can get the second page of that article.

As that article is in the Springfield Republican Paper dated Saturday November.23,1929.

Thanks
Reggiedog
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
jwilliams81

Default Re: Springfield Paper

You can pay to get it online it looks like:
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...=2#coverageMap
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

What's the date of the article??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #4
rotorwrench

The local library should archive the local newspaper publications. Check with them. They would likely be more helpful.

Modern journalism & newsprint is just not the same as it used to be and especially in smaller communities. Everything is done by computer now days and even the print machines can be digital for low volume output. Only the larger newspapers can still afford to run the web-offset presses. A lot of newspaper offices are basically empty and only used for distribution. The presses are run by workers that have nothing to do with the actual journalism.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #5
reggiedog

Thank you very much rotorwrench I got the article through the Springfield Library but I won't have it for about one to two weeks but at least I will have it soon and again thank you Thanks
Reggiedog
Old 12-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #6
JRN1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiedog View Post
Thank you very much rotorwrench I got the article through the Springfield Library but I won't have it for about one to two weeks but at least I will have it soon and again thank you Thanks
Reggiedog
Reggiedog, Just curious... What made you think of that article? Are you from that area?

John
JRN1967 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
rotorwrench

I always wonder which Springfield. I know of three that are relatively large communities. The name of the paper is the only clue.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #8
reggiedog

No I'm not from that area at all; it's just I'm researching the Milwaukee Plant and that shut down for a shot time back then, and I got the front page of that article but not the second part of the article.

So I went out looking for the second part of the article and now I have found it, and I will soon have it and know what that all says in the whole article, as I think there's something missing in that article but I won't know until I have all of it.

And yes I know that there are three Springfields and all of them are over 100,000.00 people, as I have checked everyone of them looking for the article but if you have the first part of the paper about Ford shutting down you would know what paper to look for.

As I had to check all three cities that are named Springfield in that area and there is only two in that area that are named Springfield, and there both in different states as all three are.
Reggiedog
Old 12-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
rotorwrench

The date is pretty close to the fall of wall street so I can tell that it may have something to do with the crash of 29. Since the Milwaukee Plant is the one your interested in, the article must have included multiple plant closings. There may have been payroll problems since banks were closing their doors due to runs on them from depositors. The crash caused quite a panic.

It looks like you've been working on this for a while. It was listed as a branch plant but there isn't much info about it. This was the only thing I found about the branch plants.
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/1...uction-effort/
Old 12-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
alexiskai

I think this was an Associated Press wire services article. A similar article appeared on the same day in the NY Times. Maybe it's the one you want? Screenshots below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 3.17.42 PM.jpg (17.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 3.15.16 PM.jpg (21.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 3.15.53 PM.jpg (20.6 KB, 24 views)
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

All of the Ford plants closed down for this short period of time in November to gear up and make adjustments for the 1930 Models.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #12
reggiedog

Alexiskai and Steve Plucker;

First alexiskai From reading your article that you sent me I hope that's it and all of it but without seeing the article first hand, I have no clue as to what will be in that article and I wish I could blow that one up to read it better as it's very hard to read that small.

But I will have the one in the Springfield Paper in a week or two as the guy told me there was one guy a head of me, But I told him the date what page it's on and everything else so he shouldn't have that much of a problem finding it.

And to Steve; yes you and I have talked about this before and I think you are the one that sent me the first part of the article, and now I want the second part of that article and I'm hoping that it's so informative as the article above is.

But that one is very hard to read I just wish I could blow it up to read it better, and you have told me that they shut down in November for adjustments for the 1930 models.

And the articale above is I hope the articale that I'm looking for, and it will I'm hoping it will be anyway as that articale is so informative that I'm hoping the one I get is more readable but I will still keep this one above and compare the two.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

If you have the article on your screen, press and hold the CTR key down and use your keyboard up arrow to make it larger on the screen. Ctrl down arrow makes it smaller
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #14
alexiskai

There were 3 more paragraphs in the article than what I posted, but it was a different topic, it was speculation about whether Ford was going to raise wages. Nothing more about the factories.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
katy

FWIW, the Ctrl key and up arrow didn't work for me. What did work was right click on the image and select "open in new tab"
Old 12-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #16
reggiedog

Katy;

What I did is this I used the Ctrl key and the Plus and Minus by the backspace button that made it bigger and smaller, but the only problem was my printer didn't care what size it was as it printed the same size that it came no matter what I did.

In other words I couldn't make it bigger on the printer but on the computer, I could make it any size that I wanted. In other words I got it big enough to read it on the computer only.

reggiedog
Old 12-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #17
reggiedog

Question Re: Milwaukee Plant;

Since all of the Ford Plant shut down for 10 days to two weeks, does anyone know as to when those plants opened back up. Like the Iowa Plant, Atlanta Plant or even the New York Plant and so on.

As what I'm looking for is when the Milwaukee Plant opened back up or for that matter closed down or both, for 10 days or two weeks or was it longer than that that's what I'm trying to find out.

That is if there's a way to find that out that is, I'm thinking it should be in be in the Milwaukee papers but I've been through them countless times and still nothing.

As I would and I'm trying to get as much of the day to day stuff from that Plant as I can, and not the paperwork I'm looking for I'm looking for if they got a new piece of machinery or something like that type stuff.

As I know they got a machine to make Rear Fenders now I don't know what type of Rear Fenders they were, now that I do know I just can't find the date of that I'm thinking they went on the 1 Ton Trucks but I have know clue.

Thanks Let Me Know

reggiedog