Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2017, 04:32 AM   #141
Frank Miller

Default Re: Great northern route 2

Today I traveled about 350 miles to see Seth and Alex. Had a nice 3 or 4 hour visit and got to meet Seth's dad who also like old Fords. Today the temps were hot but the drive was pleasantly short as I arrived at the hotel by 3:30. The car ran warm but did not overheat. Seth and I checked the oil and it looks good for the duration. 1100 or so miles left. I'm going to try an early start and meet up with someone from Kentucky. Should be home Monday. Not keen on the night driving.
I will share this tidbit. I had to get gas in Missouri and it was a bit off the highway. Going back to the highway I go caught in the left lane and needed to ge over to the right. I looked as careful as possible with my directional on and accidentally cut someone off. They of course got upset. Guess that's what the "show me" state shows you. I usually try and let people in front of me get in because I can see them easier than the can see me. I have an out of state license plate and a big sign on my car indicating I'm not local. Sometimes a little courtesy goes a long way and you can smile and wave or pull over to exchange information. I'll take the former. This route is getting busier as I go east. Miss the laid back driving of the west.
I know more people have been following than commenting. That's ok. I've seen others make these trips and that is part of what inspired me. I hope I'm inspiring a few here as well. "What a long strange trip it's been."
Old 09-23-2017, 05:09 AM   #142
flatford8

"What a long strange trip it's been."
Every time these wheels turn ‘round,
Bound to cover just a little more ground.
Jerry Garcia........ Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #143
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I'm looking forward to visiting with Frank this evening as he will be staying in my home town tonight. Temps here in Southern Illinois are abnormally high (90's) for September so be careful today Frank.

Frank and I have met several times at EFV8 Club meets. I've also hung out with Jeff (VeryTangled). John Mason (JM35Sedan), Glenn Sanders, Michael Driskell, Ken (OldRedneck), Cecil Polan, Mac and Shelly Van Pelt, Bubba, Charlie (NY) Schwendler and many more fordbarners that are V8 club members. Some of the finest folks I have ever met are V8 club members and Fordbarners also. If you are here on the barn and not a member of the EFV8 Club, join up. Participate and have fun, you'll get to meet guys like Frank Miller and have some great adventures in your V8 Ford. I promise you won't regret it.

See you very soon Frank!
i met Frank in Tahoe in 2003, also John Mason and Jeff they are all Kool guys. i also saw Frank and John at The Race Of Gentlemen last year

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #144
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Today I traveled about 350 miles to see Seth and Alex. Had a nice 3 or 4 hour visit and got to meet Seth's dad who also like old Fords. Today the temps were hot but the drive was pleasantly short as I arrived at the hotel by 3:30. The car ran warm but did not overheat. Seth and I checked the oil and it looks good for the duration. 1100 or so miles left. I'm going to try an early start and meet up with someone from Kentucky. Should be home Monday. Not keen on the night driving.
I will share this tidbit. I had to get gas in Missouri and it was a bit off the highway. Going back to the highway I go caught in the left lane and needed to ge over to the right. I looked as careful as possible with my directional on and accidentally cut someone off. They of course got upset. Guess that's what the "show me" state shows you. I usually try and let people in front of me get in because I can see them easier than the can see me. I have an out of state license plate and a big sign on my car indicating I'm not local. Sometimes a little courtesy goes a long way and you can smile and wave or pull over to exchange information. I'll take the former. This route is getting busier as I go east. Miss the laid back driving of the west.
I know more people have been following than commenting. That's ok. I've seen others make these trips and that is part of what inspired me. I hope I'm inspiring a few here as well. "What a long strange trip it's been."
i think that this would be kool to do someday. all the people you have met in the road!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #145
Johnnydidd

Frank you need to stay on the road longer, visit other small places and write about them. I will be sad to see your trip over. Did you miss the largest ball of string in Western Kansas
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #146
VeryTangled

More. I think the sunset and barn are from early in the trip.

Off topic but Alex and Seth had a big day today pulling an empty car haluler half-way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (52.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (91.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (90.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (77.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.jpg (84.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Capture5.jpg (16.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Capture6.jpg (57.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Capture7.jpg (34.9 KB, 60 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-23-2017 at 04:19 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #147
Elmo Rodge

Frank, it sounds like you went by my house a few days ago. I wasn't home anyway. I'm about 20 miles east of Richfield. Lawrie has been there 3 times. Maybe next time.
Wayno
Old 09-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #148
tom/illinois

Frank it was a pleasure meeting you yesterday evening. I have followed your trip from the start. You are one courageous bas I mean son of a gun. Seth and I dream of such a trip. Hope to see you in June.
tom/illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #149
Frank Miller

I'm in Cambridge Ohio tonight. Checked the odometer and I managed over 500 miles today. About 15 of those was driving by an exit while not paying enough attention.
I lost my last hour today so I'm on eastern time. I met Jerry Branham in Kentucky. He generously bought me lunch. Hmmmmm? Seth and Alex bought me lunch too. With enough Facebook friends who like you it might be possible to travel the country for free.
We ate at a Big Boy's, which I did not know still existed. The hostess told me she was born in Worcester and on the way out I met a lady who asked me if I knew Dave Amato from Worcester.
I crossed the Ohio River twice in Louisville and Cincinnati. Traffic is getting heavier but there is still a lot of farmland. I could get home Sunday but may make a few stops and come home Monday. Dread the commuter traffic that will consume most of the roads between here and home. It will be nice to be back but I'm already finding myself missing the open lands of the west.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:47 AM   #150
Mike in AZ

Thanks for taking us along for the ride
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #151
Pat/Ohio

Frank, Sounds like you traveled I-64 & I-71 through Louisville and Cincinnati respectively. If you traveled I-71 to Columbus, OH...you were within 4 miles of my place in Wilmington, OH. (Exit 45 between Cincinnati & Columbus). I would have been good for another sandwich or ??. lol

It's been fun following you on the this tour. Hopefully I'll see you in Hershey!

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:59 AM   #152
Frank Miller

This should be my last night on the road. I made it to Clinton, NJ and had a nice visit with Gail Corsini. She made me dinner too. I believe she is the 4th longtime Facebook friend I have finally met in person on this trip. None of them have been a disappointment and are just as genuine in person as online.
This morning started out with breakfast in the hotel I stayed at. There were many in the breakfast room and I was searching to see who I could converse with. There were couples talking with each other and some not conversing. I could not see the TV but I saw this one couple start smiling at it. I moved to see what was on and it was something about a bear. This initiated a conversation and they were on their way home to Wisconsin. They asked me if I ever heard of the Iola swap meet and I told them I was there a few years ago and really enjoyed myself. They lived about 7 miles from there. I told them it was my goal everyday to talk to stranger. Meeting people gives me a feel for where I am. If I do not learn a little about someone I feel I have not visited the place.
The drive got started about 9:30 and that gave me the perfect stop to meet David Kravetz and his lovely wife Julie. David has just written a book about his travels and has enjoyed following mine. i know we have been friends for at least 4 years as he commented a lot on my trip in 2013.
The trip through Pennsylvania was pretty but there was a lot of traffic. There are a lot of hills in western PA, which also mean a lot of curves and when the hills are too steep you just drive through a tunnel. The scenery is beautiful with the mountains and there are other roads here that make for a nice scenic route. Today's trek was about 400 miles.
The heat was not as bad as Kansas but I still experienced vapor lock most noticeably when kicking out the overdrive. I checked into the hotel and took a shower before heading to Gail's. When I went to start the car it ran but only long enough to empty the carburetor. I took the sediment bowl off and poured some gas into the carb hoping this would start the car and it did but would not keep running. I took off the fuel line at the carb hoping it would release any pressure. The sediment bowl had filled so I knew the pump was working. I got the same results again.
I went into the motel and got some ice to put in a rag and iced down the fuel pump. A little gas in the card and it ran like new. This is relatively new and I'm not sure how I will address it. In the meantime only a few hundred miles to home. Not sure what route to take. Maybe go up the Tacomic Parkway and over the pike to avoid the Connecticut traffic.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:05 AM   #153
A bones

Well Frank, its been a fun and enduring ride. I love long trips. There is no better than coast to coast. Thanks for sharing so freely your days with us. And a SHOUT out to VeryTangled for his help with the visual. May you find pleasure in you 'regular life'.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #154
Seth Swoboda

Frank is almost home and I'm going to miss his journey. I have a feeling he's got a few more adventures in him though.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #155
VeryTangled

Here they are... Some are provided by David Kravetz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (49.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (47.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (40.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (46.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.jpg (93.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Capture5.jpg (58.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Capture6.jpg (81.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Capture7.jpg (60.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Capture8.jpg (80.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Capture9.jpg (50.9 KB, 37 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #156
Frank Miller

I'm back home. Car vapor locked in driveway. I'll deal with it later. Will post today's ride later. Suffice to say signage for 202 in NJ sucks.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #157
Seth Swoboda

Welcome home! What a strange feeling I would guess. You and that car have bonded like none other. Just promise me you won't sleep in it tonight. Like I said on facebook, I'll miss your journey and checking in with you each day. It was a real pleasure to have you stop in Nashville, Illinois to see us. Frank I can't wait til Dearborn. At dinner Friday night you made the comment "we're going to have a lot of fun in Dearborn, aren't we?" Hell yes we are. Excellent trip and photo blog. Well done. Now go get some sleep in your own bed! Talk to you soon.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #158
nelsb01

Welcome home Frank! Look forward to seeing you next week in the Chocolate Field.

Here's something to look at regarding vapor lock Frank.
One of the first things I would check would be the fuel pump push rod. With all the driving you have been doing -- it maybe a little worn and cause you to not get the same amount of fuel to the carb as you have experienced in the past.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:58 PM   #159
Kens 36

What are we going to do now? Thanks for taking us on your drive.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #160
Darrell S

It's good to hear that you and the 49 arrived home safely. I enjoyed following your trip and it was fun to meet up with you too. The neighbors still talk about the guy and the convertible from Mass.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote