Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
29er

Default Original Amp-meter Restoration

A while ago there were a few threads about obtaining reliable amp-meters. I've had a couple of repops that were less than satisfactory, so I purchased an original from Bert's and am cleaning it up.

Inside there's a sort of gasket that's round in diameter and holds in the plate to which the needle attaches (this is not my photo, but one I lifted from another thread):

To complete my restoration, I need to remove the original gasket and replace it with something.

But what? What was the original made of and what can be used to replace it?

Many thanks!
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
SteveB31

Default Re: Original Amp-meter Restoration

It is just thick paper. Get a sheet of thin cardboard (like a file folder) and a razor blade and cut one out.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
29er

Thanks Steve. Yup, got the paper gasket figured out. Once I remove the bezel, glass and face plate, I'm left with what's shown above in my post #1.

Now, I'd like to remove the interior plate to which is attached the needle and round-headed bolts. There is some rust and peeling paint that needs to be cleaned up, and the interior needs to be repainted.

I've made the special tool described by Tom W to remove the screws from the backing plate (thanks, Tom) and have successfully accomplished that.

My problem is that there is a metallic retainer that holds the interior plate in place, and it won't budge. The retainer is clearly shown in the photo above in post #1. You can see it as the circular metal rod just inside the housing... the one that is not quite an entire circle.

Is this retainer ring removable? I can't get it to move easily and don't want to force it. If it is removable, but just stuck because of rust, can I safely apply penetrating oil to loosen it?

If it's not removable, what's the best way to proceed with cleaning and re-painting?

Many thanks!
Old 12-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

That is not a retainer, but is a magnet. If you remove it be sure it goes back exactly the same as it came out. If you turn it over the meter will read backwards.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
29er

AHA!

Thanks Tom. Well, now that the cat's outta the bag that my PhD's NOT in electricity I boned up on ammeters and after learning more about how they work I can report our children IS learning Thanks... my world's a little bigger!

I applied a little penetrating oil and carefully separated the slightly-rusted magnet from the case and was able to remove the innards.

I'm ready to clean things up, re-paint, test it and install it in my car.

Another oldie saved and lots learned along the way.

Thanks for the lesson.