Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2020, 08:53 PM   #21
mercman from oz

Default Re: Front engine mount for 292 Y-block

This is a picture of the Rebuilt 312 Y-Block for my 1956 Mercury. Notice that it does not have that front support like the same year Fords. It is now in the car and works perfect. This support piece was not on my 56 Mercury when it was imported from the USA back in 1988, so I assume that the Mercurys didn't have them? I could be wrong?
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:18 AM   #22
KULTULZ

Post Re: Front engine mount for 292 Y-block

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

This is a picture of the Rebuilt 312 Y-Block for my 1956 Mercury. Notice that it does not have that front support like the same year Fords. It is now in the car and works perfect. This support piece was not on my 56 Mercury when it was imported from the USA back in 1988, so I assume that the Mercurys didn't have them? I could be wrong?
I have temporarily lost access to my MERC MPC's. I should have everything back together in a week or so. I will post on this thread what I find.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:20 AM   #23
Tomjc

I have owned 4 Mercs all 54 and none had the front mount. My first 54 was a 1 owner Sunvalley that my uncle owned and no front motor mount
Tomjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:45 AM   #24
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Front engine mount for 292 Y-block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomjc View Post

I have owned 4 Mercs all 54 and none had the front mount. My first 54 was a 1 owner Sunvalley that my uncle owned and no front motor mount
Thanks for that. Like I say, I was not around MERC-LINC much at that time so I don't know for certain. But I will find out.

Now it was not a mount, but what FORD called an ENGINE STEADY-REST that improved ride quality (supposedly).

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #25
Gene F

I read the applications above, but I'm still curious. My 57 Skyliner has a 292. Guess I wanna look, nonetheless.

Block the engine close, then deflate the front tires to get the height you desire of the blocking. If it's off simply add, or release a little air. I would not leave it that way for an extended period, but it should be ok for a short time.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #26
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
This support piece was not on my 56 Mercury when it was imported from the USA back in 1988, so I assume that the Mercurys didn't have them? I could be wrong?
If you are talking about the support collar around the front frame crossmember which includes the steady-rest support (it's all one piece from the factory), all I can say is that later repro front frame crossmembers didn't include that center piece. So, if you wanted to keep your steady-rest, you had to cut the old center piece off the rotted crossmember and transfer it to the repro crossmember.
Up until at least the late 1970's, there were still some factory recall replacement '54/55/56 crossmembers that DID have the center piece included on them and the units were available by ordering them from the Ford Dealership. Once they ran out of those, the repro guys didn't attempt to duplicate the center piece.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:15 PM   #27
Daves55Sedan

The 312 Y-block originally started out as a T-Bird engine, first offered in 1956 and T-birds had a different engine mounting arrangement than the full-size cars. In 1957 and later, Ford did away with front engine steady-rests in full-size cars.
To my knowledge, Ford offered a 272 Y-block w/2bbl ECG and an optional 292 w/4bbl teapot (a variation of this was only offered to police interceptors in 1955). And in '56 they introduced the 312 T-Bird engine. I don't think they were available from the factory in full-sized cars in '56.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #28
Dobie Gillis

"I don't think they were available from the factory in full-sized cars in '56."

Mercurys (all trim levels) got the 312 in '56, there was no other engine option. Full size Fords could be ordered with a 312 later in the production year after the T-Bird and Merc pipeline was filled.