Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #21
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: 1938 Flathead V8 Race Motor-What’s it worth?

When I was looking for parts to restore a 60 I found a stash that a boat racer had, he said that he would get 2 seasons out of stock bottom end use 7000 rpm, that at 7500 only 1/2 season, there were sets of pistons(steel),boxed sets of rods---- the factory boxed parts were all within 1 gram---- gave me confidence to wind it out, the car did its advertised 74 mph, found that the best fuel economy in hilly county was to go to second as soon as it slowed to 40,that to get under 20mpg you had to drive over 65---drove it long distance at those speeds--- 65-70 up the parkway---- the big flathead is good under 2500 rpm, the 60is only good over 2500 rpm

Back when the motorcycle conversations started the guy had a sign--60hp wanted, but he would only pay 250$ for complete running engines
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #22
Mike Conshafter

This 1937 first generation block was referred to as a "tin side" but the water jacket is actually stainless steel welded to cast iron. The 1938ish next generation was entirely cast iron and the last generation in 1940 was essentially the same except the oil breather moved and the crankshafts had larger journals. The last generation is most desirable to build and the toughest to find. You have to be careful when taking a marine 60 turning it to a street motor. The cams often had a funky grind specifically for hydroplane racing. The exhaust manifolds are for water and the water pumps were removed & blocked for an external pump. This time capsule belongs in the hands of a vintage boat guy, there is still nostalgic racing that takes place but I know finding those guys are tough.

After the public referred to the 60 as "the gutless wonder" or "it can't get out of it's own way" in 1941 Ford introduced the inline 6cyl and used the 4cyl 9N tractor engine for the economy option which wasn't much better and was immediately dropped.
Mike Conshafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #23
rotorwrench

The 41 pickups with the 9N engine are few and far between for sure.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #24
Newc

HI; I watched those boats race locally in the 50's. They were incredible, with huge rooster tails and great sound from open pipes. Package deal!!!! I sold my V8 60 stuff to a Canadian boat racer. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:26 PM   #25
Jay in Mass

Have the valves, guides and keepers been carefully removed and properly tagged like the should be? If not, someone is in for a lot of fun trying to get everything back in the proper places. Those pieces are worn into their respective locations.
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #26
F1 MIKE

The steering wheel is a Crosley or Jeep diff is the keyway or splines. .
F1 MIKE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #27
deuce_roadster

Don't try to put that in a car unless it is like a stripped down Model A roadster, T bucket or something very light. One of my best buddies had a 37 tudor sedan with a V8 60 and the car on flat ground would go faster in second gear then 3rd due to lack of torque. And this was after the engine was rebuilt.
Boat and motors should stay together, list it in something like the boat trader or antique boat mag.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #28
51504bat

Before I got drafted in 1971 I had a MGTD with a flathead 60 and a closed drive line rear end. Apparently that was an improvement over the stock MG 4 banger and a popular swap back in the day. I ended up swapping in a MGA engine and running gear which was a big improvement over the flathead 60. My dad got tired of tripping over the 60 and paid someone to take it to the dump while I was in basic training.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #29
Kerk

The New England had a member years ago who had a 1937 Tudor and drove it regularly . Got kidded about having into 2 nd gear to get over a Manhole ! Donated a connecting Rod Plated to be used to call meetings to order. I believe it is still in its Box stored away somewhere. kx
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #30
markdtn

I think they can also be used to do a V8 swap on a 9N/2N/8N tractor. I have an 8BA in mine, but seem to recall that a V8 60 goes in with less adapting. But I agree that this one should probably stay with the boat.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:03 AM   #31
dwollam

They would be terrible in a tractor as they have hardly any torque at all.

Dave
dwollam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #32
deuce5wndw

Would be a shame to separate the boat and the engine!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #33
Bored&Stroked

Hopefully you or somebody who is into early racing boats will pick this up and restore the hydro to its former glory. Now I realize there are very few folks that do that - but it is the best thing that can be done with the entire package. I bet every one of us would love to take that out on a lake and give er' a go!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #34
tubman

Another vote for keepin' 'em together, even if it's not restored (right now anyway).
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #35
Bob C

I would keep them together also.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #36
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadMiller View Post
Here’s the rest of the pics I have of the boat & motor parts/pieces. There are two engine blocks. Ones been welded on I’m assuming because the cylinders were bored and so the block was beefed up? 🤷🏼www.jalopyjournal.net♂️ What’s automobile is the trailer tire & axle from?
Hey Miller,
NO, not welded/beefed up....what you are looking at is known as a TIN SIDED block ! I wont go into why anyone (FORD) would do that !! NOT GOOD!!

As for V8 60 in a model a TRuck, I know a guy who had very deep pockets, wanted to be different and show off his V8 60.

Well, I think he had close to 20K into that rig/engine. He was not a happy camper with "performance"..

BTW that engine's design allowed it to rev way up and it did good in certain vehicles where those revs were put to good use, i.e.- boats/midgets/motorcycle adaptation....
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #37
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadMiller View Post
This is a pic of hydroplane cockpit. Anyone know what kind of car the steering wheel came out of?
A few rudder & prop pics too!
That steering wheel is off of a 1930/'31 Ford, with some kind of gadget holding it to post.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:42 AM   #38
JoesJunkGarage

Hello JarheadMiller, what you are looking at is a “TIN” side Ford flathead V8-60 engine. I own a later all cast side version of the V8-60 that is cast like other flatheads. I will have to agree, if you are looking for flathead performance......, this would “NOT” be the place to start! Let me save you the headache that I’ve found out after a few years of research on the V8-60 engines. First off, performance parts are very hard to come by! They are either way to expensive or old and heavily worn out! The engine was popular in midget racing at that time as it was a small V8 engine that was less expensive and produced similar horsepower to the “Offy” engines of the era. Today there still are many manufactures that produce affordable horsepower add-ons for the large Ford flathead V-8 engines that are more cost-effective and a better choice I feel! But, if you are like me and like odd historical engines...., well, have at it! Good luck either way!
JoesJunkGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:47 AM   #39
Tinker

Good find. It is suited more for a midget then a full size car. Trade it for a good 59a and enjoy. If just selling... it's only worth what someone will pay. Put is up on the forum for 1 million or best offer. See what you get.

Best of luck!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote