Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #21
Corley

Default Re: Coil Voltage ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The flame thrower coil gives power thatr a person can feel and we ain't talking about getting shocked . Some can't seem to understand this and it scares the hell out of them . The spark comes from the coil . Hotter spark in most cases increases power .
Sorry to be so blunt, but that is a load of crap! Sure, a weaker than required spark will cause poor engine performance, but once you have reached the threshold of adequite spark, adding more will not increase power, period. With the low CR of the model A engine, the stock coil will provide every bit of spark needed for full power output.

On this same subject, and in response to a post saying any coil will not be any harder on the point than any other coil, not so. It all depends on the resistance and inductance of the primary side of the coil matching the condenser. If you use a coil with very low resistance, say 1.0 ohms, it will draw a lot more current than a coil with say 2.0 ohms, and the points will probably not be happy. It's simple electronics, not mystic voodoo.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #22
29er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Yep, that's the exact experience a worker had at the yard where I worked. Someone wired the coil to the driver's seat spring, and the driver felt the power in the seat of his pants. True story.
HAHAHAHA. Well see, if he had been wearing his "Depends", that wouldn't have happened! Let that be a lesson!
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #23
Purdy Swoft

I don't need a cite from anyone . I make my own determination . You and some others act like you have never heard of a performance coil . Performance coils do work or they wouldn't have been available for all of these years. The Mallory bee hive coil was probably available in the times that model A's were in regular use or built . I have used the 30.000 volt Bee hive coils and they give a good boost as well . You mention compression ratio and cam specs , Those mods are certainly not the only things that can add power and effect performance . You mention when the charge is lit . The coil is the major part that lights the charge. Your ignorance and rudeness is pathetic . It is obvious that all that you and your buddy from the other side are trying to do is stir up trouble and disagreement . It seems that all that it takes is the mention of the coil that I use to set off your bull $hit. Personally I could care less what type coil that a person chooses to use . You keep mentioning original parts . Original coils are no longer easily found . Most are using aftermarket coils that are available from vendors . Most replacement coils fail to jump a 10.000 volt gap with my coil tester . Nobody has suggested that you should use a flame thrower coil, you would probably hook it up wrong anyway .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #24
Corley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I don't need a cite from anyone . I make my own determination . You and some others act like you have never heard of a performance coil . Performance coils do work or they wouldn't have been available for all of these years. The Mallory bee hive coil was probably available in the times that model A's were in regular use or built . I have used the 30.000 volt Bee hive coils and they give a good boost as well . You mention compression ratio and cam specs , Those mods are certainly not the only things that can add power and effect performance . You mention when the charge is lit . The coil is the major part that lights the charge. Your ignorance and rudeness is pathetic . It is obvious that all that you and your buddy from the other side are trying to do is stir up trouble and disagreement . It seems that all that it takes is the mention of the coil that I use to set off your bull $hit. Personally I could care less what type coil that a person chooses to use . You keep mentioning original parts . Original coils are no longer easily found . Most are using aftermarket coils that are available from vendors . Most replacement coils fail to jump a 10.000 volt gap with my coil tester . Nobody has suggested that you should use a flame thrower coil, you would probably hook it up wrong anyway .
Purdy, you know it all, so there is no point in even responding. Good luck...
Old 08-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #25
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Sorry to be so blunt, but that is a load of crap! Sure, a weaker than required spark will cause poor engine performance, but once you have reached the threshold of adequite spark, adding more will not increase power, period. With the low CR of the model A engine, the stock coil will provide every bit of spark needed for full power output.

On this same subject, and in response to a post saying any coil will not be any harder on the point than any other coil, not so. It all depends on the resistance and inductance of the primary side of the coil matching the condenser. If you use a coil with very low resistance, say 1.0 ohms, it will draw a lot more current than a coil with say 2.0 ohms, and the points will probably not be happy. It's simple electronics, not mystic voodoo.

Saying that you are sorry is just another lie. Its very obvious what you are trying to do . What makes you think that you know what compression ratio that I am running . I'm running several performance modifications and as I have said many times , they all work together. You are just grasping at straws for reasons that don't apply in my case . I said that the flame thrower coil has done no harm to my original style points in 12 years when I installed my 40.000 volt coil. Your type of crap isn't helping anybody !!!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #26
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Corley,

I beg to differ. Based on the attitude you displayed in this thread an others it’s YOU who is the “know it it all.”

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

Quote:

There really is no need in responding to your type of crap . I've owned and worked on model A's since 1960. I built my collection of model A's out of rough cars that most would shy away from . I have worked on and rebuilt every part of the model A by myself . The only help that I ever needed was for some of the machine work that I didn't have the equipment to perform . I didn't say that I know it all . I sure as hell know way more than you and your trouble making buddies from the other side and I make NO apology for it !!!!!!!

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 08-13-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #28
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Corley,

I beg to differ. Based on the attitude you displayed in this thread an others it’s YOU who is the “know it it all.”

David Serrano

Thanks David , its good to see that I'm not alone in this thought . Thanks again . When I gets to the point that corley and his buddies are all that post here , Well , I think that you know what I mean . A lot of the people with a lifetime experience with the model A have already left . I have posted on this site for nearly 18 years . If a person goes to the profile of any of these people and read all of their posts it is evident that very little or any of their posts gave any usefull model A info .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 08-13-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #29
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
The voltage and current at the points is the same no matter what coil or points you use if the resistance of the coil is about 1.5 ohms for 6 volt and about 3 for 12 volt. The 20 or 40.000 volts do not go through the points.
Thanks Mike for pointing out this fact .
Old 08-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #30
Corley

Well, since I owned and rebuilt my first model A in 1955, and have been wrenching on them ever since, I got you there. Also, ignition coils are not unique to model As, in fact nothing about ignition systems on model As is truly unique. And, yes, as an electrical engineer by training in college, I must admitt that I probably do know more about ignition systems than the average guy. Also, having built and worked on several high performance race engines, I have a pretty good knowledge of when an ignition system might be insufficient, and can use a bit more juice. I stand by my statement, the stock ignition system, in good condition, provides all the voltage that low compression engine can use. Any more than about 20k volts on an A buys you a big fat zero in performance.

More importantly, why is it that whenever you are called out as being inaccurate, you feel the need to belittle the person pointing out your error? Come on man, be an adult! Accept that once in a while, you may not be the expert. And please, Don't personally attack people (not just me, others as well,) when you don't know squat about them or their qualifications. It's not cool!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Really? We are getting riled up over the voltage of a coil? Isn't the weather nice where you guys are? This kind of talk is usually found in the dead of winter and caused by cabin fever, not in August.

Look, for all those that are reading this, use what ever makes you feel good and gets you out on the road. Twenty thousand, 40 thousand, 100 thousand does it really make a difference in the vast, vast majority of the low compression/low HP of the A engines out there?

The single case that I can see for a 40k coil that would make a real difference is if you have blowby and your plugs get oily. I would thing (and it is my opinion and not based on any scientific study) that a hotter spark would cut through the oil better.

Fords first engine the "kitchen sink" engine ran on household voltage.