Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
caboose

Default Odd ball bolts, etc.

Some time ago, a barner posted pix and drawings of odd ball bolts, demonstrating a vivid imagination.Unfortunately my searches have not located that post.Maybe one of you will be more successful.Here are three real live “bolts” that I encountered while tinkering on our model A’s.Shortly after getting our roadster, I drove it to Mt Vernon, TX.The starter drive failed me, but I got a push start and made it back to the farm.The gnarled carriage bolt was what I fished out.It appears that the bolt was bent by being driven into the starter drive.The second is a wind wing stud that came in a kit from Mac’s.It may be difficult, or even impossible, for you to see, but the stud is not threaded.What appear to be threads are merely circles.The third is a tie rod end bolt that I got at Piranio’s.Note that the cotter pin hole is off center.I discovered this while lying on my back trying to insert a cotter pin.No go.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: Odd ball bolts, etc.

:-) An't it fun keeping your car healthy your staying healthy crawling in out under over
all the way to grandma's house Happy Holidays

Reusing restoring original hardware is always better !
Big hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
700rpm

One of the u-bolts on the front spring of my coupe has a cotter hole off center. But enough hole shows that I was able to get a piece of wire through for safety.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose View Post
Some time ago, a barner posted pix and drawings of odd ball bolts, demonstrating a vivid imagination.Unfortunately my searches have not located that post.Maybe one of you will be more successful.Here are three real live “bolts” that I encountered while tinkering on our model A’s.Shortly after getting our roadster, I drove it to Mt Vernon, TX.The starter drive failed me, but I got a push start and made it back to the farm.The gnarled carriage bolt was what I fished out.It appears that the bolt was bent by being driven into the starter drive.The second is a wind wing stud that came in a kit from Mac’s.It may be difficult, or even impossible, for you to see, but the stud is not threaded.What appear to be threads are merely circles.The third is a tie rod end bolt that I got at Piranio’s.Note that the cotter pin hole is off center.I discovered this while lying on my back trying to insert a cotter pin.No go.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
The wind wing stud has the "universal" thread pattern. It is both right handed and left handed for convenience, so whatever nut you have handy will work. They usually come with a set of holes in case you're using castle nuts. Most suppliers carry inexpensive extra sets of holes, because they're small and easy to misplace.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Ray you are making me chuckle on this. I once bought a stick of 'all thread' (threaded rod) from ACE and had the darndest time trying to get a nut on it. It wasn't threaded! It too was just circles stacked on the rod. I couldn't make something like that if I tried. I had a good laugh with my buddies at ACE when I brought it back
Old 12-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
MikeK

Try these:
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
caboose

Thanks Mike.

I need to order a box of each.

Montie
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
boomerusmc

Holey moley Mike...I'm printing that and putting that on the garage wall ASAP! As a newbie, I'm sure it is gonna save me lotsa headaches.
boomerusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #9
Kevin in NJ

I used to work at a toy store, well many moons ago now.

I was putting together a toy box. The darn screw would not work. Hard as I tried it would not start on the nut.

Had threads on the screw, the nut worked fine with another screw. Then I looked close...

The threads were concentric rings!!
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #10
bikejunk

when you go threw box after box of nails and screws you could build a museum of oddities no heads, no slots, no threads, 2 heads- on and on really true if they are from Russia (lots of nails are)
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Terry, NJ

Possibly the the most oddball thread used on the A is the 12-24. This size has not been used (commonly) for years. The size is used on a lot of body tin. Another is the 7/16 - 20 and 9/16 - 16. There are three metric sizes on the A, The bushing size for the springs (Not a thread) They are usually on size, but they used to need reaming with a 14.5 mm drill. The jet in a Zenith carb. It's the only metric used in the carb, 5 X .75 mm and one other is, I believe, the cam lock screw on the Dist. shaft. Why? who knows what Ford was thinking of.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote